Edits on this page are not regularly supervised by Wikimedia Bangladesh. Therefore, the information herein may not be up to date and free of ambiguity. Please email infowikimedia.org.bd for clarification.
Bangladesh map on globe
|Legal status||voluntary and non-profit organization|
|Approval date||3 October 2011|
|Key people||Ankan Ghosh Dastider (General Secretary) |
Masum-al-hasan Rocky (Treasurer)
|Mailing address||Shelteck Niribili, 210/2 (1st Floor), New Elephant Road, Katabon, Dhaka-1205|
- CH Wikimedia CH
- GB Wikimedia UK
- KR 위키미디어 한국
- RU Викимедиа РУ
- US-NYC Wikimedia New York City
- CAT Amical Wikimedia
- ESP-WE Wikiesfera Grupo de Usuarixs
- H-GAPS H-GAPS User Group
- MK-SK Shared Knowledge
- NGA-HA Hausa Wikimedians User Group
- NGA-IG Igbo Wikimedians User Group
- RU-Don Don Wikimedians User Group
- US-NE New England Wikimedians
- WJ WikiJournal
- WK? Whose Knowledge?
Wikimedia Bangladesh (Bengali: উইকিমিডিয়া বাংলাদেশ) or Wikimedia BD or WMBD (locally registered in Bangladesh as Wikimedia Bangladesh Foundation) is an approved chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation. It was approved by the Wikimedia Board of trustees on October 3, 2011 and was the 39th chapter to be approved by the Wikimedia Foundation board. It was locally registered in Bangladesh on 9 June 2014 at Registrar of Joint Stock Companies and Firms as a non-profit foundation under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 bearing the registration number S-11906 and official name Wikimedia Bangladesh Foundation.
Primary objective of this chapter is to help coordinate and promote various Bengali language Wikimedia projects like Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wiktionary, Wikibooks etc throughout Bangladesh.
For Wikimedia Bangladesh's past and current work, regular meetups and workshops etc, please visit WMBD's documentation website.
|Bengali language (|
|Bishnupriya Manipuri (|
|Bishnupriya Manipuri Wikipedia||Wikipedia||Bishnupriya Manipuri||উইকিপিডিয়া|
|English language (|
|All English language projects, most notably English Wikipedia|
(to develop Bangladesh and Bengali language/culture related content).
|Local communities run by Wikimedia Bangladesh|
|Chattogram Wikipedia Community||চট্টগ্রাম উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Chattogram Division|
|Rajshahi Wikipedia Community||রাজশাহী উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Rajshahi Division|
|Sylhet Wikipedia Community||সিলেট উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Sylhet Division|
|Barishal Wikipedia Community||বরিশাল উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Barishal Division|
|Khulna Wikipedia Community||খুলনা উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Khulna Division|
|Cumilla Wikipedia Community||কুমিল্লা উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Cumilla District|
|Mymensingh Wikipedia Community||ময়মনসিংহ উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Mymensingh Division|
|Chandpur Wikipedia Community||চাঁদপুর উইকিপিডিয়া সম্প্রদায়||Chandpur District|
|Santali Wikipedia Community, Bangladesh||ᱥᱟᱱᱛᱟᱲᱤ ᱣᱤᱠᱤᱯᱤᱰᱤᱭᱟ ᱜᱟᱶᱛᱟ, ᱵᱟᱝᱞᱟᱫᱮᱥ|
Becoming a member
Three types of membership are available: Regular membership, Supporting membership and Institutional membership. Any natural person and institution/corporate body may become member of Wikimedia Bangladesh. Members may either be Bangladeshis or foreign nationals. Those who are under 18 years of age may become Supporting members and those who are 18+ may become Regular members. Individuals have to pay yearly membership fees; the year will be calculated from the July-June session. Regular Member: 500 BDT, Supporting member: 100 BDT. For more information please visit member registration rules.
- Main site: wikimedia.org.bd
Documentation site: bd.wikimedia.org
- Mailing list
- Official mailing list of Wikimedia Bangladesh. join discussions at wikimedia-bd
- Catch us directly on our freenode IRC channel #wikimedia-bd
- Become a fan of Wikimedia Bangladesh at facebook.com/wikimediabd
- Follow our tweets at @wikimediabd (hashtag #WikimediaBD)
- Follow us @WikimediaBD
- Youtube Channel
- Subscribe +Wikimedia Bangladesh
(From our Memorandum of Association)
- To create awareness among the people of Bangladesh about the availability of free and open educational content and enable them to effectively use this.
- To help build the capacity of individuals and institutions to access, develop and contribute to free and open educational resources which include but are not limited to, encyclopedias, dictionaries, books, images etc.
- To organize workshops, seminars, study circles, conferences, training programs and other educational activities in collaboration and co-operation with academic/educational institutes, research groups, non-government organizations, foreign agencies, governments and any other interested organization for spreading the knowledge and/or use of free and open educational resources.
- To support the charitable work of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- To promote wider participation in the creation, dissemination and expansion of information and educational resources covering the world’s knowledge and languages to all persons, everywhere.
- To further the development of electronic, printed and other resources required to support such participation.
- To produce, publish and develop or cause to be produced, published and developed, information/educational resources, whether in printed, electronic or other forms.
- To encourage the use of information resources for the advancement of education.
- To do all and any other acts or things as may be incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of the above objects.
See the updated list on the chapter wiki of Wikimedia Bangladesh with short biography.
The current Executive Committee consists of the following people.
- Shabab Mustafa (President)
- Ankan Ghosh Dastider (General Secretary)
- Masum Al Hasan (Treasurer)
- Tanvir Rahman (Member)
- Tanweer Morshed (Member)
- Ali Haidar Khan (Member)
- Moheen Reeyad (Member)
- Subrata Roy (Member)
- Mayeenul Islam (Member)
Bangladeshi author of science fiction and children's literature Dr. Muhammed Zafar Iqbal giving an opening speech to the students at Metropolitan University, Sylhet, 2014.
Bangla Wikipedia quiz contest winner receiving crest at Bangla Wikipedia Workshop at KUET, Khulna, 2014.
- Publications of Wikimedia Bangladesh
WikiBarta magazine issue covers
- For regular meetups and workshops please visit WMBD's documentation page.
Photos of past Wikimedia events in Bangladesh are available here. Few major events organised by Wikimedia Bangladesh in the past are as follows:
- Wikipedia 10 (2011)
- Bangla Wikipedia Unconference 2012 was held in Chattogram on March 2nd and 3rd of 2012.
- Bangla Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration in Dhaka (2014–15)
- Wikipedia 15 (2016)
- Wiki Loves Earth in Bangladesh
- Wiki Loves Monuments in Bangladesh
- Wikimania 2022: Bangladesh Edition
To see all kinds of events organised by Wikimedia Bangladesh please see our activity report.