Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Enets
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Enets|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||enf (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Enets||Language name in English|
|Language name||Онэй база||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q29942 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
- My friends, I hope that Enets Wikipedia will be opened. I understand that it is very hardly to make the Wikipedia in Enets language but I will try. -- incubator:User:Максим, 126.96.36.199 20:24, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
Arguments in favour
- Support -- incubator:User:Максим, 188.8.131.52 20:24, 18 May 2012 (UTC)
- Support, not a big deal. Give it some time and chance, and maybe we obtain a good thing. Of course, some people may say that this language is moribund (only 40-50 nat. speakers), but it taught in schools (in at least one school, as I know). In addition, I doubt that anyone will feel good if Enets language will die.--Tamara Ustinova (talk) 15:10, 19 May 2012 (UTC)
- Consider calling that school and asking for native speakers to join this effort. Then this project will have a chance. Eligibility requisite 4: The proposal has a sufficient number of living native speakers to form a viable community and audience. Without native speakers there can be no Wikipedia. A Wikisource project can be considered, or maybe adding known Enets words to an existing Wiktionary (probably Russian). --Amir E. Aharoni (talk) 15:36, 19 May 2012 (UTC)
- oppose. It is a language with only 43 native speakers. Geoalex (talk) 19:21, 6 June 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose, I'd like to see at least one native speaker willing to contribute. Max Semenik (talk) 15:49, 7 April 2017 (UTC)