Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Igbo
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiquote Igbo|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ig (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Igbo||Language name in English|
|Language name||Asụsụ Igbo||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33578 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Community||Ukabia P Glots N|
You can optionally list your user name if you are an active contributor to the test wiki. Add "N" next to your name if you are a native speaker of this language.
|Links||Igbo Language Center||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikiquote" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikiquote talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:...||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Africa/Abuja||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
As Chinua Achebe said, "proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten [in the Igbo language]". Quotes and proverbs are a pillar of the Igbo language and any good speaker is expected to know proverbs or to recite quotes, this is why an Igbo version of wikiquote would not only be excellent but ideal. Wikiquote was made for this language, and this is why I am in favour of the creation of an Igbo wikiquote (Wikinsereokwu). There may not seem to be a strong community backing the creation of this project, and this is because most Igbo speakers don't even know something like this can exist, or will exist. Please allow wikiquote, or Wikinsereokwu, to exist in the language it was created for.
Arguments in favour
- Support Thank you. Ukabia 11:55, 6 February 2010 (UTC)
- Support I am ready willing and able to contribute to this project. I worked with a team to start an Igbo language class in Washington, DC. We published a 250 page textbook (largely written by me) that teaches Igbo language to English speakers. I can devote 14 hours per week to this project. neurogirl47 9:58PM, 22 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support I think that igbo languaga should be in this site. I'm a proud igbo person, and I think that thee should be a way to share this unique language all over the world.
Imena maka nti igerem (Thank you for listening). Glots