Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Tulu
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Tulu|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||tcy (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Tulu||Language name in English|
|Language name||ತುಳು||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34251 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||ವಿಕ್ಷನರಿ||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wiktionary||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Tulu Wiktionary Discussion||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Kolkatta UTC+5:30||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task. It will include everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings. After creating the task, add a link to the comment.|
Tulu is one of the Dravidian languages spoken primarily by people of south coast of Karnataka State and north coast of Kerala State of India. There are a lot of Tulu speaking people living outside this region also. Sizeable of them are living in other cities in India such as Mumbai and the rest outside of India such as Gulf countries. As per the Census of 2011, there were 18,46,427 Tulu speakers. It is estimated that the total number of Tulu speaking people will be much above 2.5 million. Tulu is mostly written in Kannada script. Though Tulu had its own script in earlier days but it is not in much use anymore. A book on Tulu grammar dates back to year 1872. Tulu has a rich written literature and huge oral literature. Karnataka Govt has constituted Tulu Sahithya Academy to nurture and promote Tulu literature.
Tulu has a rich culture. Most of that is still preserved as oral treasure and very less has been documented in Tulu. Lot of research work and documentation about the rich tradition, culture, folk and literature of Tulunadu (Tulu land) has been done mostly in Kannada and English. Survival and growth of any language is dependent mainly on the amount of knowledge text available in that language. Tulu Wikipedia which became live on Aug 06, 2016, helps in bringing latest world knowledge in Tulu. It also helps in documenting and preserving the rich culture of Tulunadu.
Tulu does not have any recent printed dictionary. The latest dictionary was printed in 1997. Most Tulu speakers are from backward regions. They will be benefited by a Tulu Wiktionary. Tulu has been introduced as a language in schools of coastal districts of Karnataka. These students also will be benefited if a Tulu Wiktionary is created.--Pavanaja (talk) 14:09, 22 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 14:42, 22 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu language dictionary, Most important in Tulu people like in this step. Tulu community strong support in Tulu Wiktionary.--
- Support BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 02:45, 23 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu has a lexicon but it is two-decade-old and not updated. Since it was a new endeavor many words are not updated in the existing lexicon. An updated lexicon with an open updating facility is the need of the hour for language like Tulu, where the exploration for the words, idioms, and phrases sparingly used was not seriously undertaken. Since Wiki has supported such a cause across the globe for such languages, we strongly endorse the need for a Wiktionary Tulu--
- Support Sangappadyamani (talk) 03:16, 23 August 2018 (UTC) --
- Support Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 03:22, 23 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu is one of the digitally lesser privileged languages of India. Tulu Wikipedia was the first step in enabling this language. Tulu Wiktionary will be the next logical step. I strongly endorse this request.--
- Support Deepak Padukone (talk) 03:29, 23 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu is well flourished language. It requires does have all considerations needed for a language to be in Wikipedia and Wikitionary.
- Support Vinoda mamatharai (talk) 09:59, 23 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu language dictionary is the most necessary because due to the English language influence the people of new generation of tulunadu aren't aware of the tulu language. So it will helpful to them. I strongly endorse this request ----
- Support Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 17:49, 23 August 2018 (UTC) It is very good project, I support it. Tulu is a fascinated Language, definitely people will rely on this so as to use the synonyms and definitions of various words of Tulu----
- Support ರವಿಮುಂ (talk) 02:00, 24 August 2018 (UTC). Ravi Mundkur. .The Tulu language has a rich repository of words, reflective of its prolonged heritage extending over about two and a half millennia or more. Tulu has been classified as a Dravidian language, but it also contains numerous words derived from Prakrit/Pali, Munda, Koraga and other ancient languages of India.In the modern period it has also imbibed words from Persian, Arabic and Urdu. Thus a full-plegded, independent Wiktionary for Tulu language, embodying multilingual equivalents and affiliations, would not only serve the interests of preservation and sustenance of the Tulu language but also shall be an useful tool of reference and analysis for linguists and heritage enthusiasts of Dravidian, Munda and Prakrit/Pali studies.I strongly support the Wiktionary project for Tulu.--
- Support 夢蝶葬花@生涯不敗 03:52, 24 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Anvith VB (talk) 16:30, 28 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu is an easy and daily speak-able language. Every individual and all community people without seeing religion, refer speaking Tulu in Coastal Karnataka.--
- Support Kannada. There has been many literary works in Tulu language. For inter-network vocabulary, Tulu language is essential requirement. Tulu community is anticipated to embody it. In this regard Tuluvas need global encouragement.--Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) 16:33, 28 August 2018 (UTC) Tulu is an independent and ancient Dravidian language. Tulu language has an independent voice system like Tamil as well as ancient
- Support Ashay vb (talk) 18:06, 28 August 2018 (UTC) I Support Tulu language. --
- Support unsigned comment was added by Avinash Shetty56 (talk) 03:22, 29 August 2018 (UTC) This language is rich & one of the oldests with some unique characteristics comparing to other Indian languages. I support Tulu language. — The preceding
- Support Vis M (talk) 17:32, 30 May 2023 (UTC) Strong team behind Tulu language Wikimedia community. I also collaborate with them.
- ↑ http://www.ethnologue.com/subgroups/dravidian
- ↑ http://censusindia.gov.in/2011Census/C-16_25062018_NEW.pdf
- ↑ A Grammar of the Tulu Language, Brigel, J. 1872. Asian Educational Services
- ↑ http://www.tuluacademy.org/en/vision-and-mission/
- ↑ Article in Tulu Wikipedia