Talk:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Nominations/Gerald Shields
|This page is being monitored by Wikimedia Foundation’s Trust and Safety Team on behalf of the process facilitators to ensure the civility of the conversations on this talkpage.
Please give time for the endorsers to add their organizations' names. Geraldshields11 (talk) 18:46, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
Dear Affiliate organizations,
Based on the discussion on Wiki User Group Affiliates, I am accepting solicited and unsolicited endorsements. Please feel free to edit the nomination page to add the endorsements there and also add a copy to the talk page.
I ask this because I am traveling in Germany, Slovakia, Austria, and Hungary on a Wikimedia Commons quest during this time and will have limited access to email. Geraldshields11 (talk) 18:10, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks to all of the User Groups and commentators that have spoken with me. I made sure I added my final statement before my Wikimedia Commons quest. I look forward to hearing the Boards’ decisions Geraldshields11 (talk) 03:21, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
Какими языками Вы владеете? --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 03:19, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Dear @Рөстәм Нурыев:
- Я являюсь носителем английского, немного японского, немного мандарина и немного испанского.
- (I am native speaker in English, some Japanese, some Mandarin, and some Spanish.)
- Спасибо, что задали первый вопрос.
- (Thank you for asking the first question.)Geraldshields11 (talk) 03:27, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Thank you, за скорый ответ. --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 03:46, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
Общение с сообществом / Communication with the community
@Geraldshields11:, извините за мой английский с гугл переводчиком / Sorry for my english with google translate --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 09:57, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Сколько лидеров (представителей) тематических групп и групп пользователей вы лично знаете? / How many leaders (representatives) of thematic groups and user groups do you personally know? --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 09:57, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- I know several leaders of the User Groups. I met them at the various Wikimedia Conferences and events. Also, through LinkedIn. Я знаю нескольких лидеров групп пользователей. Я встречал их на различных конференциях и мероприятиях Викимедиа. Также через LinkedIn. Geraldshields11 (talk) 13:10, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Как вы планируете поддерживать связь с этими сообществами? / How do you plan to keep in touch with these communities? --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 09:57, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- During my Trusteeship, because Wikimedia User Groups (UG) are in different time zones, I will use email and Linkedin or a method better suited to the User Groups.
(Во время моей Опеки, поскольку группы пользователей Викимедиа (UG) находятся в разных часовых поясах, я буду использовать электронную почту и Linkedin или метод, более подходящий для групп пользователей.)Geraldshields11 (talk) 13:10, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Как вы уведомляете (или планируете уведомлять) сообщества о своем намерении баллотироваться в Попечительский совет Фонда Викимедиа в качестве представителя тематических групп и групп пользователей? / How do you notify (or plan to notify) the community about your intention to run for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as a representative of thematic groups and user groups? --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 09:57, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Due to the April 15 to April 30 campaign window, I have reached out by Wiki e-mail, regular email, telephone to those I know personally, and LinkedIn. Also, I plan to reach out on UG talk pages to keep as much on-Wiki. During this time, I am still in the process but my pre-planned Wikimedia Commons quest. Geraldshields11 (talk) 13:10, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Also, because I am going to travel, this proves the importance of one of my bullet points, mobile readership is important. Thank you for patience while I travel. I will not respond quickly.Geraldshields11 (talk) 13:10, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Dear Рөстәм Нурыев Извините, если есть проблемы с переводом с английского. Я протянул руку открытым и прозрачным образом на страницах разговоров, чтобы объявить мою кандидатуру на должность попечителя, включая вашу страницу разговора. Geraldshields11 (talk) 16:19, 13 May 2019 (UTC)
WikiJabber Episode 19 with Gerald Shields
Wikipedian Photographer Gerald Shields talks with Sebastian Wallroth at WikiConference North America 2018 at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
Credits & Debts
How it is possible you'll succeed to manage a profitable company like the Wikimedia Foundation if you're responsible to handle an astronomic $22.2E12 ( and counting... ) debt?
Economic regards, Klaas `Z4␟` V: 08:38, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
- Dear @Klaas: I am not personally responsible for the National Debt. Congressional budget process sets the tax rates and selling of bonds. Congress also decides to fund projects and at what level. I am responsible for good order of the projects I am assigned to as a civil servant. That skill is translatable to work as trustee. Geraldshields11 (talk) 10:23, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
Tell us your achievements
Thank you for being a candidate and for introducing yourself. In your statement you talk about many things that needs to be done and what you are going to do if you are chosen. I would like you to tell us what you already did to achieve those things that you care so much. Can you show us the impact of your work? What did you do to support our editing communities? What did you do to help emerging communities, such as the ones in the Global South? What did you do to make our community grow? Thanks in advance.--Jalu (talk) 02:02, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
Dear @Jalu: thank you for the third question. My great achievements are on Wikimedia Commons, where I have documented the difficulties of emerging communities being heard. That is why AfroCrowd endorsed. Please see my work on Commons. Geraldshields11 (talk) 13:35, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
I am sorry but I was asked to move my question to the main page, so maybe you would like to move your response there. Thank you so much. --Jalu (talk) 22:40, 3 May 2019 (UTC)
- No problem Jalu , as of May 6 2019, I seem to be the only candidate who answered most of the questions. Geraldshields11 (talk) 02:33, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
je suis contributeur guinéen, félicitations pour le courage de postulé pour cette lourde tache.
En faisant le tour de vos préoccupation et perspective j'arrive pas a trouvée vos ambition pour l'Afrique continent d'avenir du numérique, dite nous un peu ce que vous nous proposé dans votre gestion une fois élue. --Aboubacarkhoraa (talk) 13:00, 9 May 2019 (UTC)
- Bonjour @Aboubacarkhoraa:
- Merci d'avoir dit que j'ai du courage pour la lourde tâche. Je comprends le poids et je suis des gens formidables avant moi. Je suis heureux de contacter la communauté wiki, telle que L'Afrique, votre organisation, et AfroCrowd, qui a approuvé ma candidature.
- Je suis reconnaissant d'avoir répondu à la sensibilisation.
- Veuillez excuser s'il y a une mauvaise traduction de l'anglais.
- Lors de WikiConference North America 2018, dans l'épisode 19 de WikiJapper, je suis intervenu et, vers la toute fin de l'entretien, vers 38:00, j'ai déclaré que l'Afrique avait besoin de davantage de soutien, comme un meilleur accès à un serveur. Je discute du problème pour accéder à Wiki dans Global South et de la manière dont il s’agit d’une amélioration progressive. Je discute de l'accès mobile et de la latence. De plus, je mentionne, vers 18:40 environ, les biais systémiques en faveur de wikiprojects. Veuillez consulter le podcast sur cette page.
- De plus, je souhaite voir une augmentation continue du nombre de lecteurs et, plus important encore, de nouveaux rédacteurs, de sorte que le contenu de nos projets Wikimedia soit inclusif et serve la mission éducative. Geraldshields11 (talk) 15:33, 9 May 2019 (UTC)
- Merci pour la réponse et bonne chance. --Aboubacarkhoraa (talk) 16:06, 9 May 2019 (UTC)