This page is for discussions related to the WikiAsk (recreated) page.
Please remember to:
I suggest you remove the medicine example from this early draft. As you get early comments choosing the most controversial circumstance might be misleading. Blue Rasberry (talk) 10:59, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- Sure... Arep Ticous 11:00, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
Explain more about difference with WikiHow
I see that there is a comparison between this and WikiHow. Can you say more about the distinction?
Also, why not just replicate WikiHow with free and open licensing? That project has a model that has worked for 10+ years, gotten revenue and community base when so many other wikis have failed, and is obviously popular and successful. Blue Rasberry (talk) 11:02, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Bluerasberry:I surely will add more, but dont you think that replicating is not justifiable? Arep Ticous 11:04, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Bluerasberry: Are you saying that this would work? or would it not? I didn't get what you said Arep Ticous 17:37, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Arepticous: Yes, I think it would work. WikiHow seems like a good project. It is not Wikimedia, and also it is non-free content. We could establish a free and open Wikimedia version of WikiHow. Probably we would make some changes. Of course we would want to take what is good and leave what is a problem.
- If you compared WikiDirect to WikiHow, what would be the difference? One option is to start thinking of WikiHow, and do something similar. Another option is to start completely new and fresh, and begin with no plan except to make a "guide" or "direct" project. What do you think is best? Blue Rasberry (talk) 12:59, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Bluerasberry: I listed a few things that differentiates wikihow from wikiDirect here., and i think that a fresh new start would be best, since Wikimedia has almost never done something quite close to such a projects and it's better if we start now to help us with the future. Arep Ticous 14:35, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
"Wikidirect would answer questions such as What is longest river in the world and What to do if you have broken your arm". These are two very different kinds of questions: one is a small piece of information while the other might be an entire library of medical practice. Either way, it seems you're describing Wikidata. I suggest that you start by developing a tool to query Wikidata with natural language, then describe what you feel is missing and what we could do about it. You could start from one of the several existing tools such as https://qanswer-frontend.univ-st-etienne.fr/ () or the one that I believe Magnus Manske developed at some point. See also https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30445209/how-can-i-harnest-wikidata-to-build-a-siri-like-service?rq=1 Nemo 08:48, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
- @Nemo bis: Perfect! I just couldnt figure out a way to fit that process in. Maybe we could build that tool in wikidata and link it with wikidirect as an attribute of the guidebook. Arep Ticous 14:38, 18 September 2019 (UTC)