|Status of the proposal|
- Wikiask is a proposal for a community constructed Q&A website, in which users can freely share their knowledge and discuss certain questions. The project will be non-profit, open to anyone and a reliable source of information. (The initial proposal was a combination of both a guidebook and a Q&A platform, however, due to the availability of Wikibooks and wikiversity, the idea was withdrawn, and changed into an independent Q&A)
- This project was created on the personal motto –“When society comes together, Knowledge has no bounds.”. I personally believe that the society altogether can create a stronger source of knowledge than all that exists, and reliability must be built upon the hands of each other. A source in which we can freely speak and communicate. A society that is free and credible. The WMF represents global freedom of knowledge, and almost all the Q&A’s present are for-profit organizations. The general idea is to create a Wikimedia-version of Q&A’s, That is non-profit, widely available, multi-lingual and resourceful.
- Q&A’s are a growing genre of websites. Over 300 million users have registered accounts in Quora alone. It is not an abandoned field of information. Hundreds of millions of users log in to Query or respond. It’s a brand new way of data sharing.
Whats the difference from the existing Q&A’s?
Unlike other Q&A’s Wikiask would be a non-profit website. It would not hold any disruptive policies, no upgraded passes or bigoted gestures. It would be an open collaboration of society. Within the internet, profit-oriented websites have been using information distribution a personal benefit. Some sites pay users for employment in their websites while some sites ask users pay for registration. Wikiask would not perform in such ways. It would not promote, it would not be an imbalanced website
- "Q&A websites curate user-generated questions and answers on all sorts of topics. More than 400,000 subjects are discussed on Quora alone. Q&A sites allow you to gain exposure to a wide audience. Given the variety of topics, it is likely that your company can find its target audience in one of the Q&A website niches.”
- Referenced Website-https://clutch.co/agencies/digital-marketing/resources/how-use-qa-websites-promote-your-business
- Paid Q&A sites- link:- https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-successful-paid-Q-A-sites
All these websites pay users for asking or answering questions, They are non-Free, for profit websites. Showing how wikiask would be a perfect source of information. Even Quora is an open space for niche advertisements. These are evident references that show that most of these websites are inequitable, erratic, and inconsistent.
- Open advertising on web pages has lead to corruption. They make the websites relentlessly infuriating. Some websites decline to provide access to their resources if the user does not agree to follow ridiculous instructions. Some site automatically redirect to websites advertising ineffectual software or pirate websites.
Differences from existing wikiprojects
Up-to-date, no wikiprojects has had a similar scope. Even though wikiversity does suggest open collaborative learning resources, it partakes content articles instead of Interactive platforms. It is not necessarily a Q&A. A personal platform known as wikidebat is also available within the website, however, it’s a discussion for internal snags. It doesn’t involve much features that consents it to be qualified as a general Q&A.
- The main proposal is a soft launch, A beta version which would observe how the wiki would function in the open, and get involved with the community. We would retrieve information from the temporary beta site and conclude the official answer. If the website does not gain enough registrations or interest of the public, the project will be withdrawn. Nonetheless, if the beta site does gain a positive reaction from the public, it will be presented officially as a sister-project of Wikipedia.
The beta version would include the classic representation of a Q&A with a minor volunteered staff who would maintain the website for the time being. It would be open to the web for a specified time period, in which a perfectly planned test would be carried out to observe the opening functioning of the site in its prime. The site will be openly available with all facilities. IF the trial project proves to be successful. The beta project will be created in a test wiki, most probably will be created from localhost php and moved into an operational server.
Since this is a new proposal for the foundation, a few tools will be needed for the development of the webpage. Including a new data representation format suitable to be the background of a functional Q&A. More technical requirements will be listed in Wikiask/Technical req which is still bieng developed.
- Introduction to the wikimedian Q&A
- Example Article -the article would not look like this, it's just a basic idea of what I could make up
A few alternate names for the wiki, I do not intend to center-stone the name at the moment, Feel free to suggest any new ones. Wikiquestions, WikiQuery, community-media
‘’Please add your signature if you are interested’’
- Please ping the proposer (User:Arepticous) when adding your message
- Initial Discussion Discuss your matters here.
- Arepticouz@gmail.com- the proposer's email.
- Discussion Discussion section on this page
- Support- Per proposal Arep Ticous 10:56, 10 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support Seems good. We need a competitor to WikiHow. Calvinkulit (talk) 11:13, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- SupportIt is a great idea Omda4wady (talk) 07:45, 17 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Good plan :) Josephine W. (talk) 01:09, 28 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support Good idea. JackCrazy5 (talk) 23:20, 30 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Finally! A new guide wiki other than WikiHow! I can’t wait for this wiki to be created! Arthurfan828 (talk) 23:47, 7 April 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support.A place where everybody can ask and perhaps see an answer. Not only limited within an encyclopedic article. BoldLuis (talk) 00:54, 2 May 2020 (UTC)
- Support Wikilife just like Quora, Zhihu and Baidu Knows. --Kitabc12345 (talk) 05:49, 2 May 2020 (UTC)
- SupportChibiLink 17 January 2020
- Support, if this project will compete with Quora, q.yandex.ru, BolshoyVopros.ru, Otvet.mail.ru etc. Фред-Продавец звёзд (talk) 19:35, 28 June 2020 (UTC)
- Support, Good idea, idea for this would be split into two sections to be competing with more websites, How, to compete with WikiHow, and Ask, to compete with Quora. Another Wiki User the 2nd (talk) 13:50, 11 July 2020 (UTC)
- Support- I confirm that this is a really good idea! --18.104.22.168 17:16, 30 July 2020 (UTC)Agnese93
- Support- I fully agree PastelKos (talk) 13:19, 1 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support per others. ThadeusOfNazereth (talk) 21:10, 25 April 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Long time most popular Q&A website Yahoo!Answers shut down recently without even an archival. All the hardwork of millions of volunteers extinguished just like that. A wiki Q&A site would ensure that such knowledge contributions are given the proper respect, attribution, and guarantee that it will not go to oblivion at the will of a few in power in some for-profit company like Yahoo or Quora. Free & Open Wikis are the best for crowdsourced content and there should be a wiki for this essential crowdsourced knowledge format.Vis M (talk) 08:34, 22 May 2021 (UTC)
- Oppose Guidebooks belong on b:, collaborative learning projects on v:. This seems redundant. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 22:05, 23 September 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose I think this belongs on Wikibooks rather than needing to be a fully seperate project. Rubbish computer (Talk: Contribs) 16:03, 20 October 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose per others AnotherEditor144 t - c 13:14, 1 March 2021 (UTC)
- Oppose I like the idea, but I'm pretty sure there's dozens of other websites that are Q&As, and they are very popular already. max20characters🇺🇸 19:59, 25 March 2021 (UTC)
- Oppose - Hérisson grognon 12:09, 14 May 2021 (UTC)
- The discussion section has now been moved due to certain difficulties... please visit the Discussion page