Talk:WikiWomen's User Group

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Archive 1

Contents

Anything happening?[edit]

It's been very quiet ... Kerry Raymond (talk) 22:01, 23 June 2016 (UTC)

Want suggestions on first presentation at WCI2016[edit]

Hi everyone,
From 5th August to 7th Aug Wiki Conference India 2016 will be held at Mohali,Chandigarh, India. I am going for first time and want to present a short talk for first time. Brief points are here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2016/Submissions/easy_way_for_outreach Pls have a look and give your precious comments and suggestions. Regards.
Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 06:43, 23 July 2016 (UTC)

Wikipedia and UN Women Project[edit]

I encourage our team to support this event, Wikipedia and UN Women Project. We've set up an event page here, en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Women in Red/Meetup/18 where we'll track outcomes (articles created or improved during the period of 12 Jul - 12 Aug 2016). This page is still under construction, e.g. we've already created hundreds of articles which need to be copied over to this page. Also, please add any new images. --Rosiestep (talk) 17:34, 25 July 2016 (UTC)

Intro to Whose Knowledge? and requests for participation[edit]

Dear WikiWomen, Siko Bouterse and I (Anasuya Sengupta) recently co-founded the campaign Whose Knowledge?, to make the internet a little less male, white, straight, and global North in origin. It's our attempt to address systemic bias both on Wikipedia (and other Wikimedia projects) and in other critical spaces on the internet.

tl;dr This message gives you a few updates on our work so far, and invites you to support us - in commenting on/endorsing a Wikimedia project grant we're applying for, and in joining us in the newly recognised Whose Knowledge? Wikimedia user group.

  • We're planning to put out a survey soon to map gaps and opportunities in online knowledge, and it would be great to hear from you about what and whose knowledge is still missing online (including and beyond the great red link lists et al this group works on). Our hope is that the results of this survey can help spark more people to participate in filling those gaps, support your work, etc. Is this something that WikiWomen would be interested in helping with/participating in? More information is in this project grant proposal. It would be great to have your feedback or endorsements by November 2 if you're interested, and for you to pass on this information to anyone else you think might be interested.
  • We've also got a newly approved Whose Knowledge? Wikimedia user group. Please join us, one User Group to another!

We'd love to have you participate in any way you like! Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Anasuyas (talk) 01:17, 28 October 2016 (UTC)

De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee. Translations are available.

Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization, or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission. While most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards set forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol has been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia affiliate does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia movement.

In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from Wikimedia Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a handful of chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a result, in the coming days and months, a small number of chapters that have been unable to return to compliance through their efforts in the past year will not have their chapter agreements renewed. As a consequence, these organizations will no longer have the additional rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks, including the Wikimedia name, that had been granted under those agreements.

If you have questions about what this means for community members in the affected affiliates’ region or language areas, we have put together a basic FAQ. The FAQ talk page is available for additional questions and comments, and the Affiliations Committee is happy to answer questions directly.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 15:55, 13 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet helpSubscribe or unsubscribe.

Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.

This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.

The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 20:27, 15 February 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[edit]

Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.

Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.

Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:

More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation, 19:42, 9 March 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[edit]

05:00, 18 March 2017 (UTC)

WMC Women in media 2017[edit]

The Women's Media Center has released their 2017 report on gender gap and women in the media. It can be found here. Megalibrarygirl (talk) 17:11, 27 March 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.

Wikimedia-logo black.svg

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.

The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.

The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).

We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.

Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.

The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.

The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.

  • April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
  • April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
  • April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
  • May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
  • May 15–19 – Board vote checking
  • May 20 – Board result announcement goal

In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:

  • Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
    • There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
  • Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
    • One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.

Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.

More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections(at)wikimedia.org.

On behalf of the Election Committee,
Katie Chan, Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee
Joe Sutherland, Community Advocate, Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 03:35, 7 April 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your languageGet help

Regarding Board of Trustees election[edit]

It would be a very good idea to have many candidates for the Board who represent the ideas presented by this user group. Women certainly need to continue to have their ideas heard at the board level, and to increase their input at this level if possible.

The first task is to have enough candidates. The community will elect 3 candidates for 3 year terms. Therefore, there should be at least three candidates who represent women's points of view. Given the vote counting system, there is no penalty for "having too many candidates". Rather, if everybody reading this votes for all the candidates who represent women's points of view, these candidates will all likely be at the top of the list. For example, if there are 5 candidates that folks here would like to support, and enough people here support all of them, then all five could rank in the top five candidates. So the top 3, who will likely end up on the board, will be among those 5. In short, everybody reading this should consider running.

Smallbones (talk) 18:23, 7 April 2017 (UTC)

@Smallbones: You're right. We do need to make sure those we are voting for are inclusive. We need to remind our networks to vote. I'll post something on Women in Red on enWiki. Megalibrarygirl (talk) 16:26, 15 April 2017 (UTC)

Wiki movement strategy 2030[edit]

Phase 1, Cycle 1[edit]

WWUG discussed wiki movement strategy at the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin, at WikiProject Women in Red, etc. Here is our Phase 1 group of statements: Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Sources/WikiWomen's User Group. --Rosiestep (talk) 16:29, 21 April 2017 (UTC)

OMG, Rosiestep, I love this summary. It really ties together the issues that we have been dealing with over and over and over at WiR and other areas of Wikipedia. Thanks for sharing this and where does it go next? Megalibrarygirl (talk) 16:26, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
Thanks, Megalibrarygirl. Hoped I did the synopsis justice. Phase 1 Cycle 2 starts in early May. It'll be a discussion of the Cycle 1 summary statements. I'll post a link to it here once it's available on Meta and also on the Women in Red talkpage. :) --Rosiestep (talk) 18:56, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
Summary of statements generated during Phase 1, Cycle 1. --Rosiestep (talk) 19:06, 25 April 2017 (UTC)

Women in Red on Wikimedia Blog[edit]

Cross-posting! Samir Elsharbaty wrote an article about Women in Red: Community digest: Women in Red’s impact on Wikipedia’s gender gap. Check it out! Rosiestep, SusunW and myself were interviewed. Megalibrarygirl (talk) 19:26, 2 May 2017 (UTC)

Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections[edit]

19:02, 3 May 2017 (UTC)

Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)[edit]

19:25, 16 May 2017 (UTC)

Discussion list[edit]

I see yours is "defunct". Gender Gap group still has one. Not too high traffic. https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap Only has one of three admins active, so need some new energy. Carolmooredc (talk) 11:44, 20 May 2017 (UTC)

Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections[edit]

21:03, 23 May 2017 (UTC)

Women in Red: Disability[edit]

Hi all, I'm the visiting scholar with San Francisco State University's Longmore Institute on Disability. My purpose is to impact bias regarding disability culture and history on Wikipedia. Megalibrarygirl created WikiProject Women in Red/Disability for women who are/were "notable as people with disability or as disability rights activists or in other fields of endeavor relating to disability." This list is on English Wikipedia, but we do need to have people represented from around the world. Please do add to this list if you know of someone who needs to be on it. Happy Editing! Jackiekoerner (talk) 20:44, 5 June 2017 (UTC)

Thanks for the signal-boost, Jackiekoerner! :D Megalibrarygirl (talk) 23:02, 5 June 2017 (UTC)

Arabic Wikipedia Day Edit-a-thon[edit]

Arabic Wikpedia Day banner English.png

Join us Saturday to celebrate the 13th birthday of the Arabic Wikipedia with the Arabic Wikipedia Day Editathon (يوم ويكيبيديا العربية الثالث عشر ), held throughout the Arab world. Wikimedia DC, Wikimedia Levant, and WikiProject Women in Red are collaborating, with groups editing in Amman, Bethlehem, Damascus, and Washington DC, and of course online. We have tracks for editing articles on the topics of science or women, or you can make your own wish list. Sign up at Arabic Wikipedia Day Edit-a-thon. Avery Jensen (talk) 07:42, 29 July 2017 (UTC)

WikiProject Women's Health[edit]

I am becoming quite concerned for WikiProject Women's Health. Participation has fallen off and the lack of health content on specific women's health issues is still lacking. In addition, Women's Health content is also not significantly represented in the translation efforts of Project Medicine. I am posting here because I don't know how to fix this and I don't know what kind of help I am asking for. I don't want to down grade the efforts of those who are working on creating other content related to women's biographies and histories but if the need could be quantified on the basis of pageviews, others might also see the need.

The Very Best of Regards,
Barbara (WVS) (talk) 11:33, 2 August 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: October 2017[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 4 / Issue 14 / October 2017
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:50, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Interested in leading a feminist editing session at the ChickTech's annual conference in Phoenix, Arizona in April 2018?[edit]

Chicktech's vision is unique as it focuses on students who have the aptitude to be technical but do not consider themselves to be. ChickTech is organizing its annual conference in Phoenix, Arizona in April 2018. Conference link: http://national.act-w.org/

The chick tech organization is an ally of the Wikimedia Foundation; we are collaborating with them on a developer event for high school girls in the bay area. They are looking for volunteers who could help run one or two sessions around editing Wikipedia. If you are interested in participating, send me an email, and I will connect you with them. In any case, please help spread the word! Thank you :) - SSethi (WMF) (talk) 22:46, 7 December 2017 (UTC)

Wikimedia Conference 2018[edit]

Has the group already selected participants? How are they going to be selected? Cf. Wikimedia Conference 2018/Participants' List. (Not asking for myself but for the sake of new people who never went.) --Nemo 13:17, 21 December 2017 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: January 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 15 / January 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Place to add women's bios for translation to other language wikis[edit]

A twitter convo this morning led to some ideas about a place where we could share women's biographies to be translated into other languages. While we have Wikidata lists, this might be something a little different. Do you think this would be a good project for Meta? Megalibrarygirl (talk) 17:46, 14 March 2018 (UTC)

Share your feedback in this global Wikimedia survey[edit]

Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,
My name is María Cruz and I work for the Wikimedia Foundation on the Learning and Evaluation team. In one week or so, the Foundation is starting a global survey to learn about the experiences and feedback of Wikimedians. I am writing here, because I wanted to share with you a bit more about the project.
The survey is called "Wikimedia Communities and Contributors" and is conducted annually. We will send the survey to editors across all the Wikimedia projects, as well as Wikimedia affiliates and volunteer developers. This survey is going to be our way of making sure that we can hear feedback from a significant number of users from across the projects. This research supports editors and Wikipedia’s mission. This is our second annual CE Insights survey, and we look forward to improving it every year.
We will be contacting 2 people from each affiliate, based on the primary contact information that we have. Each affiliate will receive an additional third link which they can distribute to any leader in their chapter or user group.
Go to the project page to see the results of last year’s survey, and to see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support communities. You can sign up to be notified about the results of the survey, or to learn how you can help with planning the survey next year.
If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please feel free to send them to Edward Galvez's talk page on Meta-Wiki or email him directly at surveys@wikimedia · org in any language. You can learn more about this project and read about frequently asked questions. You can also share your feedback on Meta-Wiki.

Thank you for your time supporting this project!
María Cruz


MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:42, 19 March 2018 (UTC)

Wikimedia conference 2018 in Berlin[edit]

Hi, as I was one of the representents of the wikiwomen user group in Berlin, I wish to make a first short preliminary report for you all, I will make a more complete report later.

The wikimedia conference took place this week end and was preceded by learning days. The main objective of the conference was to work on the 2030 wikimedia strategic directions.

To know more about the conference[edit]

The first thing we did was strike the pose to symbolize the 2030 strategic directions, which was actually filmed here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Conference_2018_%E2%80%93_Videos. Then several meetings were held resulting in quite radical notes being put up on a big board (like "Wikimedia has to turn from a cathedral to a bazaar"), and later working groups gathered to make propositions about how and who would implement these directions. At the end of the conference on sunday, Ryan Merkley Creative Commons CEO described the radical changes undertaken by his movement in 2015, and encouraged us "weird people" to be bold and move forward with the "hot potatoe" (it was actually an awesome and funny speech).

Learning days[edit]

One of the workshop worthy of attention for our group was Susa's new booklet about Keeping events safe. We are encouraged by Susa to report after each events even the smaller incident (and also when things went well) in order for them to get a broader picture of toxic behaviors. What may seem as a minor incident for one person, may take more significant meaning in the case when evidence about repeated inappropriate behavior is being reported by multiple persons who might not know each other.

Wikiwomen meetup[edit]

Camelia Boban presented wikidonne, Mckenzie Art+feminism and we also got to know about #VisibleWikiWomen from Marianna Fossatti. The great postcards generated by this project were distributed during the conference.

We then discussed about the need for cross wiki and cross project cooperation and sisterhood, as well as the challenges to help new leaders emmerge (let alone from contributors pasionate about the gender gap). We organized into workshops that will work further in the future on the following subjects: leadership, policy, harrassment, allyship, connection. We were lucky to have Alex Wang (WMF) and User:CSteigenberger (WMF). A few photos:

WMCON 2018 by dyolf77 DSC 8247
WMCON 2018 by dyolf77 DSC 8252

useful ressources and tools[edit]

  • Dashboard: Sage Ross. Sage has updated the dashboard since its creation, enabling the collection of data measuring online impact of editathons. I have asked Sage and James Hare (see below) if it was possible to envisage having the dashboard measure the impact of recurring events (like meetups).

Interactive map & calendar of gender gap events[edit]

I have discussed with @Rosiestep, Shouston (WMF), Camelia.boban, CALEIDOSCOPIC, Mckensiemack, and Shanluan: about creating a interractive calendar and map that would list all online and offline events related to gender gap. Here are some exemples allready used in the movement: Interractive map on les sans pagEs : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projet:Les_sans_pagEs/Calendrier Calendar designed by @0x010C: (the francophone community asked for such a calendar) on meta : Wikimédia France/Actions. @Pyb: the president of the Wikimedia France chapter said there was only a piece of code missing to make an interracitve map, so I asked @Harej (WMF): if something could be done about it, and the tool included in his project of designing a Tool database (Toolhub).

#Goatification[edit]

How to grow a movement in just 3 days? Things learned from #Goatification

Although to some this whole viral thing about goats might seem crazy, the presentation about goatification gave very useful insights on how to have fun and foster attention on a subject by using a symbole anyone can relate to: a goat is agile, witty, and although female, has a beard. Fostering curiosity around a subject and making people laugh helped ease some conflicts: it is hard to be really angry with someone when one has laughed together so much about a goat. Here is a selfie with the two wikidata female brains behind the whole thing : Birgit Müller and Rachel Farrand :

Wikimedia Conference 2018 – 076

I will continue to update this section about what went on at the conference and hope others will join to share what we learned.--Nattes à chat (talk) 23:06, 23 April 2018 (UTC)

I have tranlated this into French for the francophone community here.

Learning Quarterly: June 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 16 / June 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:45, 3 November 2017 (UTC)