- 1 2004 discussion
- 2 Moved from Talk:Ambassador
- 3 Language Templates
- 4 Explanation of the 03 Dec 2004 revert edit
- 5 Discussion of ambassadors' roles
- 6 Interwiki guidelines
- 7 Wikinews?
- 8 Fake gl ambassador?
- 9 I´d like to be an ambassador
- 10 Historical
- 11 Where?
- 12 "historical" vs. actively edited
- 13 Rename?
- 14 Any additions or updates for the Resources for multilingual coordination
- 15 Feedback request: VisualEditor special character inserter
- 16 Put the names of embassies in English
- 17 Language: Badini Kurdish
This page is going to be used by speakers of all languages -- we should be using the native language names first, and listed them in alphabetical order of the language codes, which should also be visibble. -- Tarquin 09:15, 3 Jan 2004 (UTC)
Actually, on second thoughts, best way might be:
- fr - Francais - (names)
I would like to become ambassador for the Hindi Wikipedia (hi) but I don't know if that entails any special responsibilities which I may not be able to deliver on. I know only Hindi and English and no PHP. I am en:User:Hemanshu. --220.127.116.11 18:24, 21 Feb 2004 (UTC)
With all due respect to others who know far more about these things than I but isn't this a list of foreign ministers rather than ambassadors? ASAIK ambassadors exist specific to respresent a communiy to one other and not the whole world. Ambassadors might work better but you need more volunteers. --AndrewCatestalk 13:38, 30 Jul 2004 (UTC)
- In this case, these are presumably people representing their home wiki to Meta.. +sj | help with translation |+ 03:15, 29 April 2008 (UTC)
Moved from Talk:Ambassador
My intuitive idea of an 'ambassador' is: "somebody that furthers the interests of Wikimedia projects in 'foreign' territories, such as - the Press, Government agencies, Educational institutions". If some journalist wants to write an article about Wikipedia, or a big company wants to buy wikimedia, a politician proposes legislation to bring wikimedia projects under censorship, - that type of thing - an ambassador could explain in a diplomatic way why that would be a good or a bad idea. After reading the Ambassador page, I understand that that is not quite what an ambassador is. However, it is still very unclear to me what the task of a Wikimedia ambassador would be. - Johan Lont 18.104.22.168 14:50, 26 Oct 2004 (UTC)
- Recently, I registered for Wikimedia Commons and I noticed that they have an interesting way of facilitating interlingual coordination, in the form of language level templates for users to put on their user pages. I think this is an excellent idea for meta too, which also requires collaboration between people that speak different languages. Josh 16:33, Nov 15, 2004 (UTC)
Explanation of the 03 Dec 2004 revert edit
22.214.171.124, during his 22 Nov edit, seems to have accidentally "cooked" the Unicode for a lot of entries (Bulgarian, Russian, Serbian, Cherokee, Lithuanian, Urdu, Thai, Mandarin). I reverted to the version before his, re-added the one intentional change he made (an extra ambassador for Afrikaans), and then manually re-added both changes that have been made since his (by TOR and MichaelDiederich). Hope I didn't mess anything up =)
In general, I suppose there should be some way to protect "very multilingual" pages from browsers/users which can't handle the entirety of Unicode correctly. Though I have no idea how that can be implemented. Zyqqh 22:54, 3 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Discussion of ambassadors' roles
See Ambassador elections and its Talk page. I'm not sure that is the right way to proceed, but there is agreement that ambassadors should be better integrated into meta: and international-community goings on.
- Halló! Some months ago I started to search informations about where to insert and how to sort interlanguage links at various Wikipedias. I thing that information should be available in a central place, as at the "embassies" linked to en:Wikipedia:Embassy.
- See what I have "collected" so far at commons:User:Gangleri/sandbox/Template:Interwiki guidelines. Would be happy if you would add information about en: if your community has already decided about this. Thanks in advance! Best regards Gangleri | Th | T 01:16, 2005 Apr 20 (UTC)
embassies (17:09, 2005 Apr 21 (UTC))
- this list is sorted by language codes; removed links to village pumps; fixed redirects Gangleri | Th | T 17:09, 2005 Apr 21 (UTC)
af:Wikipedia:Ambassade als:Wikipedia:Botschaft ar:ويكيبيديا:سفارة be:Вікіпэдыя:Амбасада bg:Уикипедия:Посолство bs:Wikipedia:Ambasada ca:Viquipèdia:Ambaixada cs:Wikipedie:Velvyslanectví cy:Wicipedia:Llysgenhadaeth Cymraeg da:Wikipedia:Ambassaden de:Wikipedia:Botschaft el:Βικιπαίδεια:Πρεσβεία en:Wikipedia:Embassy eo:Vikipedio:Ambasadorejo es:Wikipedia:Embajadas et:Vikipeedia:Saatkond eu:Wikipedia:Enbaxada fi:Wikipedia:Lähetystö fr:Wikipédia:Ambassade fy:Wikipedy:Konsulaat gl:Wikipedia:Embaixada he:ויקיפדיה:שגרירות hr:Wikipedia:Veleposlanstvo hu:Wikipédia:Nagykövetség ia:Wikipedia:Ambassada id:Wikipedia:Kedutaan is:Wikipedia:Sendiráðið it:Wikipedia:Ambasciata ja:Wikipedia:大使館 ko:위키백과:대사관 ku:Wîkîpediya:Sefaret nb:Wikipedia:Ambassade nds:Wikipedia:Bottschap nl:Wikipedia:Ambassade nn:Wikipedia:Ambassaden pl:Wikipedia:Przedstawicielstwo dyplomatyczne pt:Wikipedia:Embaixada ro:Wikipedia:Ambasadă ru:Википедия:Посольство sk:Wikipédia:Veľvyslanectvo sl:Wikipedija:Veleposlaništvo sq:Wikipedia:Ambasadat sr:Википедија:Амбасада su:Wikipédia:Kadutaan sv:Wikipedia:Ambassaden ur:ويکيپيڈيا:سفارت خانہ zh:Wikipedia:维基大使
- Agreed. I'm setting up one for community review. Thunderhead 21:32, 5 April 2007 (UTC)
Fake gl ambassador?
I´d like to be an ambassador
Hello, I´d like to be the ambassador for the Portuguese language but I didn´t properly understood the instructions on "putting in my language´s wiki". Should I copy the page to pt.Wikipedia? Doidimais Brasil.
- It means setting up an embassy page on your language's wiki. Since the Portuguese Wikipedia already has an embassy, you can put your name under the Portuguese embassy link in the master list of ambassadors. --Sky Harbor 07:45, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
Where do I go to discuss international issues?--Arceus fan 23:38, 24 September 2007 (UTC)
"historical" vs. actively edited
There seems to be some misunderstanding about whether this page is used -- certainly the people on it are welcome to remove themselves if they get too many messages and no longer want to field them. It is an effective collection of names and contacts for those who want to reach out to other communities, and has no suitable replacement. The page itself is receiving new ambassadors each month, and I see no reason to flag it as historical. I've removed the tag and restored the link to the main page, though a discussion here is welcome. +sj | help with translation |+
- Support, however I am not sure this page is actively referred. I think I'm listed for my home, but have never got any inquiry since enrollment... --Aphaia 03:22, 29 April 2008 (UTC)
- I agree that it's not used that frequently or effetively. It would be great to have more tools to support ambassador work. For intsance ,a bot that posts a message to the home-wiki user-talk page of all ambassadors, when there's a projects-wide message to send out. Messages sent to ambassadors could be organized and planned like site-wide banners. –SJ · talk | translate 07:27, 12 June 2010 (UTC)
- A new discussion has been initiated at Wikimedia_Forum#Renaming_the_Local_Embassy (I moved it from Meta:Babel). πr2 (t • c) 04:40, 15 December 2012 (UTC)
Any additions or updates for the Resources for multilingual coordination
In Wikimedia Embassy#Resources for multilingual coordination (at page bottom), I'm wondering if the link to The provisional portal of Wikipedia (which gives a soft-redirect to Www.wikipedia.org template (which is one of the Project portals template pages)) could be removed, or updated with something more useful?
I've added a link to commons:Commons:Babel, as it seems like a useful resource for this task, but I'm unsure how the Www.wikipedia.org template is useful for ambassadors? Thanks. Quiddity (talk) 05:49, 4 June 2013 (UTC)
Feedback request: VisualEditor special character inserter
The developers are working towards offering mw:VisualEditor to all users at about 50 Wikipedias that have complex language requirements. Many editors at these Wikipedias depend on being able to insert special characters to be able to write articles.
A special character inserter tool is available in VisualEditor now. They would like to know what you think about this tool, especially if you speak languages other than English. To try the Special character tool:
- If VisualEditor isn't available on your home wiki and you haven’t already opted-in, then opt-in to VisualEditor by going to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures and choosing "VisualEditor". Save your preferences.
- Edit any article or your user page in VisualEditor. See the mw:Help:VisualEditor/User guide for information on how to use VisualEditor.
To let the developers know what you think, please leave them a message with your comments and the language(s) that you tested at the feedback thread on Mediawiki.org. It is really important that the developers hear from as many editors as possible. Thank you, Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 20:23, 22 January 2014 (UTC)
Put the names of embassies in English
It is very likely that some people that seek the assistance of an embassy don't speak that embassy's language. So if someone doesn't speak German, why put the German embassy under the letter "d", like if everyone will know the German name of Germany? Thinker78 (talk) 07:52, 9 November 2017 (UTC)
Language: Badini Kurdish
hello, I want to add a missing language and it is a very important language because many users know and understand this language well, and I want to add this language Ahmadkurdi44 (talk) 18:45, 29 September 2019 (UTC)
- Ammarpad, in kurdish compartment, common language in the middle east --Ahmadkurdi44 (talk) 19:56, 29 September 2019 (UTC)
- Ammarpad, sir, you are not back - Ahmadkurdi44 (talk) 12:44, 30 September 2019 (UTC)
- Ammarpad, This language https://ku.wikipedia.org lusually uses in southern Turkey and Kurdish (latin) In known,