Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
|previous||2018, week 06 (Monday 05 February 2018)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- Bureaucrats can now add and remove the accountcreator permission by default. This means the user can help create a large number of accounts, for example for an editathon. Wikis can change this if they want to. 
- The Wikidata vandalism dashboard is a new tool to monitor vandalism on Wikidata labels and descriptions. It is filtered by language. 
- Info pages for file pages now show the file's SHA1 hash value in the table of basic information. This is so users can see that the file is the same as the one they uploaded. 
- Special:Export has a higher error rate right now. This means that the export does not always work. You should check to make sure your page exports worked. The developers are working on fixing this. 
Changes later this week
- When you review an edit made with the visual editor you can check a visual diff of your changes besides the wikitext diff. If you pick one diff type it will remember and show you that in future. The visual diff will now be the type first shown to new users. 
- When you use a gallery to show images you can define the size, like
gallery widths="150px". You could use
pxbut it would make no difference. You can now only use
150pxor nothing (
150). If you write something else, instead of treating it like
px, it will not work. 
- The wording when you send a thanks message will change. Instead of
Noit will say
Cancel. It will also be easier to understand that all thanks are public. 
- Redirects connected to Wikidata can create double Wikidata items. There will now be a tracking category for this. Wikis that don't want it can disable it. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from ६ फेब्रुअरी. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from ७ फेब्रुअरी. It will be on all wikis from ८ फेब्रुअरी (calendar).
- You can join the next meeting with the Editing team. During the meeting, you can tell developers which bugs you think are the most important. The meeting will be on ६ फेब्रुअरी at 19:30 (UTC). See how to join.
- You can join the technical advice meeting on IRC. During the meeting, volunteer developers can ask for advice. The meeting will be on ७ फेब्रुअरी at 16:00 (UTC). See how to join.
- The Education Program extension will be removed on 30 June. It is replaced by the Programs and Events Dashboard. 
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.