WikiFranca is a partnership between francophone Wikimedia chapters and affiliated working groups. The objective is to encourage activities in the French Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia and its sister projects, both on the Web and on the ground. It not only allows local user groups with no chapters in their countries to organize activities and events in their communities and in their language, but also to build a bridge between the countries participating in the Wikimedia projects in French language.
The idea of a partnership between francophone chapters was first discussed in 2011, at the Forum mondial de la langue française (Global Forum of the French language), where several members of Wikimédia France, Wikimedia Canada and the Quebec Committee joined forces to be present at the Forum which was held in Quebec city. The discussions were going well because creating "Francocoop", based on the model Iberocoop, was in the air.
In 2012, a first francophone chapters meeting was held at Wikimania Washington to discuss, to present projects and to exchange innovative ideas. Among the countries represented at this meeting, there were Belgium, Canada, France, Italy, Switzerland and Tunisia. It was during this meeting that a collaboration between francophone chapters became evident.
At Wikimania Hong Kong in 2013, francophone chapters had a second meeting, where a coordinator has been elected and formalizing WikiFranca. A first global project was organized in October 2013, called Mois international de la contribution francophone (International Francophone Contribution Month) where 26 workshops were organized in 21 cities around the world. The event had a worldwide media coverage, which has encouraged the organizers worldwide.
The model of national chapters is effective for countries where language and culture are homogeneous, but the reality is quite different for countries where French cohabits with another language and is a minority language, or where only small groups of French-speaking Wikipedians are limited by the chronic lack of active and involved participants. It appears important that collaboration between francophone countries is in place to meet the needs of these groups.
One of the challenges of multilingual chapters is that their members work on various Wikimedia projects. This may seem insignificant, but it is clear that this create a difficulty of creating a cohesive group working since users contribute in different versions of Wikipedia, Wikisource, etc. An association of francophone chapters and user groups coordinates the efforts of those who have the desire to contribute to French Wikimedia projects.
In addition some countries do not have the possibility of forming a chapter, and it may not be a viable option, such as the countries of Francophone Africa. Quebec is another example of a francophone nation enclosed by a majority language and Quebec contributors have little difficulty to thrive in a chapter where anglophone contributors are majority. Belgium and Tunisia are experiencing similar situations.
- 1er au 31 Mars ː Mois de la contribution
- 15 Janvier ː Les 20 ans de Wikipédia en Guinée
- 1er décembre : réunion stratégie interne WikiFranca
- 29 novembre : Wiki-weekend francophone
- 31 octobre : réunion en ligne - stratégie WikiFranca 2025 et alignement stratégie 2030
- 18 octobre :réunion en ligne - finalisation charte de coopération
- 3 octobre : premier jet de notre charte de coopération
- 1er aout au 1er décembre : Sondage sur les besoins en capacity building parmi les affiliés francophones
- 15 juillet : réunion en ligne - affiliation et gouvernance
- 16 juin : réunion en ligne - procédure de nomination représentant design team
- 25 mai : décision de reporter la 5ème WikiConvention à 2021
- 22 mai : réunion en ligne - point général
- March 1 to 31: The International Francophone Contribution Month (link in French)
- September 6, 7, 8ː WikiConvention francophone in Brussels
- March 23 to June 31ː lancement du projet WikiClubRFI
- March 29ː Francophone Meetup at Wikimedia Summit.
- March 1 to 31: The International Francophone Contribution Month. Results ː 80 workshops, 40 cities, 18 countries.
- February 19: creation of the facebook facebook group WikiFranca
- November 12, 2018: XIV Ordinary Session of the Executive Bureau of the User Group of Ivory Coast
- Writing the Action Plan WikiFranca
- October 5, 2018: WikiFranca meeting in Grenoble (link to pad)
- 5-7 October 2018: 3rd Wikiconvention French in Grenoble
- 22 July 2018: Creation of a "Telegram" discussion group for the coordination of WikiFranca .
- 21 July 2018: Agenda of the French-speaking meeting in Cape Town, South Africa.
- 20 April 2018: Minutes of the French-speaking meeting in Berlin.
- March 1, 2018: The International Month of the Francophone Contribution. Results: 70 workshops, 40 cities, 15 countries. Draft of the next WMF blog post
Established Chapters User Groups Informal groups Potential participants
- Telegram Discussion Group
- Mailing list: wikifrancalists.wikimedia.fr