Wikimedia Canada is a non-profit organization committed to the growth, development, and distribution of free educational material and media. It acts as the official Wikimedia chapter for Canada. The association was incorporated on 10 November 2010 under the name "Wiki Canada" and does business under the name Wikimedia Canada in English and Wikimédia Canada in French. It was recognized as a chapter by the Wikimedia Foundation on 24 May 2011.
- To aid and encourage people to collect, develop and disseminate knowledge and other educational, cultural and historic content in the public domain or under a license that allows everyone to freely use, distribute and modify said content without the payment of royalties.
- To collaborate with public and private Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums in making their holdings more broadly and freely available to those interested in an effort to preserve the heritage of Canada.
- To make use of, encourage the use of, and instruct people in the use of free and open source information resources; either electronic or printed for the advancement of education.
- To encourage the development and release of these materials in the languages of Canada including but not limited to English, French, and the First Nations' languages.
Board of Directors
In 2015, the Wikimedia Canada Board of Directors officially is:
- President: Alan Walker
- Vice-President: Benoit Rochon
- Secretary: Jeffery Nichols
- Treasurer: Ernest Boucher
- Project Manager: Nathalie Casemajor
- Legal adviser: Prosenjit Lahiry
See also : Participant list