Wikimedia Community Belarus Activity
- (DONE) Organised local Wiki Spring 2015 campaign in both Belarusian Wikipedias (classical and academical)
- (DONE) User Group founding meetup on the 21th of June 2015
- (DONE) Local OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia communities partnership - to foster Minsk map with link to Wikipedia articles (July, 2015)
- (DONE) Participation in the CEE WikiCamp 2015, 31 July - 2 August, in Macedonia
- (DONE) Wiki workshop with the Belarusian Association of Journalists (August, 2015).
- (DONE) Participation in the WMCEE 2015 annual conference, 10-13 September, in Estonia
- (DONE) Holding seminar "How to Become Wiki-Editor" for 'Pramova' club of the Belarusian Language Society on 30 September 2015
- (DONE) Wiki Helper elaboration and publishing (July-October 2015) (sandbox, project description, result)
- (DONE) 19th of december To make a half-day meeting with guys who would like to discuss further Wiki community development, December 2015
- (DONE) Community survey for understanding common vision of development, December 2015 - January 2016
- (NOT DONE) Extend and establish volunteer list for new projects next year, 2016 - winter 2015-2016
- (DONE) Wiki Spring 2016 campaign in both Belarusian Wikipedias (classical and academical)
- (JUST PILOT DONE) Start local challenge 10wikidays - from 28th of February by Mr. Zabej
- (DONE) Support and development of User Group public in FB - throughout 2016
- (DONE) Planning collaboration activity with HRs activists - throughout 2016
- (DONE) Developing idea and planning the Wiki expedition with different communities - summer 2016 and fundrising activity.
In addition, we created a table with wiki workshops, expedition that we planned and done during 2016 year.
Here is our educational
There were five main achievements in 2016:
- Implementation of project with communities, which we began this summer 2017 and complete in early January 2017 fucosed on spreading knowledge about wiki-technologies among local and topic communities. For accelerating this activity we could win a grant from Wikimedia. This grant helped us to improve our opportunity for working and seeding wiki knowledge around country more rapid than it was in last years. We was active in 8 cities and towns (Harodnia, Baranavichy, Zditava, Babrujsk, Maladziechna, Krulieuschyna, Minsk, Hodasy, London) with workshops and wiki walks where to provide not only essentials of wikipedia but foster interest in schools and libraries administration.
- Outreach dashboard translation (into belarusian language) and piloting wikipedia tasks in university curriculum. During two courses (mechanics, nuclear physic) students assigned to make new articleы or improve existing for have credit.
- Different wiki communities members participated in the regional (WCEE2016) and global (Wikimania206) event where they had intensive experience exchange and knowledge collection.
- Participation in the WikiSpring'2016 contest. And the circle of volunteers who help to organize was bigger than in WikiSpring'2015.
- Issue Wiki-helper (1-st edition) in different mediums was released and became accessible in paper, PDF and wikipedia. This manual was created by wiki community and aggregated best training practices we used in number of workshops with different communities in 2015.
Work inside of wiki-community core had strong and weak points. One of the achievement we update group in Facebook regularly (2-3 times a week) so people from community has an opportunity to be in the loop by their networks. the weak part we had just 4 offline meet-ups (one a season). What did not help in the organization development. Other weak point that tarask. (classical grammar) wiki community become non-reflexive for any off-line activities.
It is important to stress that many resources (funds, venues, technical equipment, media coverage) for this activities were provided by NGO Falanster.
- Lack of understanding and as a result responsibility in the national Wikimedia community offline work.
- Regional wiki activists are not engaged in the offline community life at all.
- Tacit successes are not represented for the rest of the community what creates an atmosphere that nothing happens.
- Lack of hardware for work in rural area during workshops (laptops, Internet), especially poor and under-equipped schools.
- Content organization of the community programs and routine.
The community needs to have one annual gathering where participants can define common needs, generate ideas, shape plans and projects, coordinate crucial points and vision, to develop self-governance.
Purposes for 2017
- (DONE) Wikicamp-2017 (Belarus) - gathering with most active new activist and trainning them about how wikimedia-community works.
- (DONE) Obtain 130 users in wiki user group in FB (now it is
90146) - with organic growth
- Participation in Wikimedia Conference 2017 and WMCEE 2017
- 3 community building meetups.
- These are Mr. Zabej's propositions for 2017. Please add your own in the list.
- ....your ideas here...