Wikimedia Conference 2018/Documentation/Movement Strategy track/Annexes/Capacity Building
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|WMCON 2018||Core Conference Program||Fringe Events||Registration & Participants
Working Group Input Document: Capacity Building
Extracted May 1st from Etherpads
- How can we develop an international tech community?
- What kind of resources do we need to conceive training materials? Online courses? What kind of ambassador?
- How can we easily sharing informations about project crossing barriers languages?
- What kind of capacity community/affiliates needs?
- What is the baseline capacity? What new capacity do we need to build?
- How using resources for building capacity?
- What is the existing capacities?
Governance/Collaborative capacity/sharing experiences and knowledge/fundraising capacity and tech capacity + innovative capacity
Adapt and resilience capacity.
- Dimension 1: Nicola Zeuner´s text: WM and Free Knowledge communities around the world will grow in the next decades
- Q: How we build capacity?
- Which resources communities require, and how they are delivered?
- How do we build capacities of organizations?
- What are some of the methods and tools appropriate in their context?
- movement entities are able to create spaces and environments and resources for communities and their members to do their work for free and open knowledge
- we are able to benefit from a wealth of existing knowledge around organizational development, which includes empirical research on which capacities are crucial to make organizations resilient and able to achieve their missions
- Dimension 2: Nicola Zeuner´s text: their governance/ decision-making structures, financial and human resources that reflect and support our vision and goals
- Dimension 3: Nicola Zeuner´s text: WM Affiliates, who need organizational capacities to implement the strategy in their context
- Recommendation: don´t forget to include external expert voices when thinking about movement level things
- People from emerging communities
- People from different regions, representative of community (like Asia communities), affiliate and chapter - to see whole spectrum
- Generally for all three dimensions the first step should be an assessment of needs - what capacities do different affiliates/groups/people have? what are their needs?
- The first dimension is that of the Wikimedia and Free Knowledge communities around the world, those that exist, and those that will grow in the next decades.
- build capacity to store information that is not texted based (oral, pictures, videos?)
- The second dimension is at the movement level, where we need:
- governance/decision-making structures,
- financial and human resources that reflect and support our vision and goals.
- The third dimension are the Wikimedia Affiliates, who need organizational capacities to implement the strategy in their contexts:
- Improve awareness of Wikimedia and Wikipedia in regions where it is not yet a thing
- Friendly Spaces to meet (Maithili Community)
- Infrastructure: better tools, better interfaces, better UI
- Regular Community Meet Ups
- Train the trainer programs
- Search for needs in community - research what kind of skills people from communities have - what is their capacity and what do they need to work on
- name and rank those skills - users can also mark their skills on their page and put them on an open market
- Better way of funding - from small project grants that small community group can apply and do to more strukture grants - to build a organization skills
- Projects should be international, open and known in all communities so people can join to work on - make a list - open calls for joining a team
- Support for independent (lokal, regional or international) projects - that can also help to build a capacity for communities without affiliate
- Open calls for sharing information, list of open calls for cooperation, research - open list (site)