Wikimedia Conference 2018/Pre-Conference Boards Training
|WMCON 2018||Core Conference Program||Fringe Events||Registration & Participants
Governance & Leadership. Information on the Boards member training 2018
With the help of experienced wikimedians and professional trainers we will discuss the following subjects:
- The whole cycle of board member transition. Including recruitment, the introduction: search for candidates, onboarding procedures, transfer of tasks and knowledge.
- Strategy development with special focus on tools: Swot-analysis, Confrontation matrix and Stakeholder analysis
- How to establish good governance. The difference between an operational board and a governing board. The relation between board and staff.
- Timely and responsive communication between board members, but also with other stakeholders: staff members, volunteers, partner institutions.
- Conflict management. How to deal with conflicts, both pro-active (how to prevent) and re-active (how to deal with an existing conflict).
[TO BE FILLED IN]
Focus of the training
- The objective of this fourth Boards training workshop is to support affiliates by improving the skills and competences of their board members.
- Knowledge and skills of individual board members and the quality of the board improves which will lead to better understanding of the role of the board and their responsibilities (and vice versa).
- The Board will work more effectively, which will lead to more informed decision making.
- Improved network of individual board members (e. g. closer connection between board members from different countries and trustful relationships), establishing constant cross-board relations leading towards more cooperation and knowledge sharing between boards.
The initiative for this training was taken by Tim Moritz Hector (WM Deutschland) and Frans Grijzenhout (WM Nederland). The other members of the project board are Mattias Blomgren (WM Sweden) and Doug Taylor (WM United Kingdom).
Whom are we inviting / subscription
- You can register for the workshop via the general registration form for the Wikimedia Conference. Registration is open between November 29 and January 15, 2018.
- Registrations for the Boards Training Workshop are confirmed, at least, on a regular basis (with a pause between Christmas and New Year’s Eve).
- Contact cornelius.kibelkawikimedia.de if you have any questions.
- The training will be open for board members of Wikimedia affiliates.
Logistics / Location and costs
- The training will be held in the two days preceding the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin and run parallel to the pre-conference. We will use the same venue.
- There will be a participation fee of € 75 to cover the costs of catering. Travel costs and accommodation must be arranged by the affiliate itself (APG affiliates). For non-APG affiliates travel/accomodation will be booked by WMDE via the regular WMCON registration process.
- The presentations of the sessions will be made available on the talk page.
- All materials developed and used for this training will be published for further use. 
- Information about previous trainings in 2014 , 2016  and 2017
- The workshop will start at 12:00 (noon) in room "Britz" at the Mercure Hotel Tempelhof Airport which is also the venue for the main conference. There will be signs guiding you to the right room.
Wednesday 18 April 2018
12:00 – 13:00 introduction
- Introduction to the training
- To know each other
13:00 – 13:30 lunch
13:30 – 15:30 session 1:
- Title: The Board member transition cycle
15:30 – 15:45 tea break
15:45 - 17:45 session 2
- Title: Strategy development
17:45 - 18:00 closing, wrap up
Thursday 19 April 2018
9:00 – 13:00 session 3 (including coffee break)
- Title: How to establish good governance
13:00 – 13:30 lunch
13:30 – 15:30 session 4
- Title: Timely and responsive communication
15:30 – 15:45 tea-break
15:45 – 17:30 session 5
- Title: Conflict management
17:30 – 18:00 closing, evaluation
This is a list of the confirmed participants.
|Frans Grijzenhout||Wikimedia Nederland||Chair of the Board|
|Satdeep Gill||Affiliations Committee||Member|
|Rehman Abubakr||Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka||Founder/President|
|Habib Mhenni||Wikimedia Tunisia User Group||Co-founder, Spokesman|
|Toni Ristovski||Shared Knowledge (Macedonia)||Board Member, Treasurer|
|Jorge Gemetto||Wikimedia Uruguay||Treasurer|
|Samuel Guebo||Wikimedia Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire||Vice-chair|
|Juan Quintero Santacruz||Wikimedians of Colombia User Group||Culture Coordinator|
|Xabier Cañas Yarza||Basque Wikimedians User Group||Secretary|
|Nahid Soltan||Wikimedia Bangladesh||Secretary|
|Douglas Taylor||Wiki Project Med||Secretary|
|Abhishek Suryawanshi||New England Wikimedians|
|Shih-Ching Yang||Wikimedia Taiwan||Board member|
|Zakaria Mimouni||Algeria Wikimedians User Group||Media Director|
|Cheol Ryu||Wikimedians of Korea||Director|
|Coenraad Loubser||Wikimedia South Africa||Board Member|