- 1 Call for image filter referendum
- 2 RFC: committee proposal for resolving global blocks and bans
- 3 Spaniards see the Portuguese main page / Los españoles ven la página principal portuguesa
- 4 Wikipedias and Wiktionaries in simple languages
- 5 New message by Iberstand
- 6 The CentralNotice of Editors Survey Japan 2011 is not displayed
- 7 Creation of ia.wiki
- 8 Home wiki not defined
- 9 Prefix problem in Incubator
- 10 import from zh:
- 11 help... help... help
- 12 Trouble at en.Wiktionary
- 13 Bombing and shooting in Norway
Call for image filter referendum
The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction of the Board of Trustees, will be holding a vote to determine whether members of the community support the creation and usage of an opt-in personal image filter, which would allow readers to voluntarily screen particular types of images strictly for their own account.
Further details and educational materials will be available shortly. The referendum is scheduled for 12-27 August, 2011, and will be conducted on servers hosted by a neutral third party. Referendum details, officials, voting requirements, and supporting materials will be posted at m:Image filter referendum shortly.
RFC: committee proposal for resolving global blocks and bans
Spaniards see the Portuguese main page / Los españoles ven la página principal portuguesa
Greetings. I'm not sure in which language or where should I leave this request, so I hope somebody can read it here.
I am a Spanish wikipedian and registered to Wikimedia via a Spanish-language form, so apparently all menus and the names of the tabs are all in Spanish. This works until I reach the main page in Wikimedia and it redirects me to Página principal... in Portuguese.
It is kind of a trouble since in Spanish "Main Page" is written exactly the same way, so the Spanish page is in Es/Portada.
Anybody could fix that?
Thanks in advance. Nethac DIU 10:39, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
Saludos, no estoy seguro de en qué idioma ni dónde debería dejar esta petición, así que espero que alguien la pueda leer aquí.
Soy un Wikipedista español y me registré en Wikipedia por un formulario en español, así que aparentemente todos los menús y nombres de las pestañas están en español. Esto funciona hasta que llego a la página principal de Wikimedia y me redirige a Página principal... pero también se escribe así en portugués, y la página está en portugés.
La página española está en Es/Portada
¿Alguien podría arreglarlo?
Gracias de antemano. Nethac DIU 10:39, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
Wikipedias and Wiktionaries in simple languages
I really liked Simple English Wikipedia and Wiktionary. I propose to create Simple Wikipedias and Wiktionaries for each United Nations official language (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese).--Erasmo Barresi 10:21, 14 July 2011 (UTC)
New message by Iberstand
Unsigned message by User:Iberstand at 12:36, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- I have no idea what this means, but I shift it down here for someone who can read Spanish to see --Bencmq 12:42, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- I can read Spanish. It was just an ad for an event in Spain.
- And it's not even close to me. Deleted it. Nethac DIU 11:53, 16 July 2011 (UTC)
The CentralNotice of Editors Survey Japan 2011 is not displayed
Hello. I'm user:Akaniji.
I have a question on the CentralNotice. The Editors Survey Japan 2011 of CentralNotice becomes effective from 18:42 on 11 July 2011. The questionnaire on Japanese Wikipedia was delayed for one month; considering a East Japan great earthquake occurred in March. However, This CentralNotice is not displayed in the Japanese Wikipedia or the page of Special:CentralNotice on meta. Perhaps, I guess the parents template has been deleted or not. Would you tell me what shuld I do to solve this error? Sincerely, Akaniji 21:29, 16 July 2011 (UTC)
- Ohayo Akaniji! Just like with the other editors survey, this banner is only displayed to users one time and then it sets a cookie called "hidesurvey2011banner" so that they do not see the banner again. This was done to try to get a more random sample of users that's not biased towards more active editors. Could you check to see if you have that cookie in your browser? It would probably be under "ja.wikipedia.org". Cbrown1023 talk 22:28, 16 July 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks to you, I found the cookie. I'm sorry to say the phenomenon as error. Akaniji 04:42, 17 July 2011 (UTC)
Creation of ia.wiki
Just a question for my curiousity. The Interlingua wikipedia, which I work on, was created before the current language committee. It was created before even the old "requests" system. It was made way back in the dark ages of 2003. Back then, how were new wikis created - i.e., how did the Wikimedia Foundation make a call whether or not to make a wiki? (And more to the point, who do I thank for proposing it and who do I thank for approving it?) Almafeta 10:38, 17 July 2011 (UTC)
- There was no Wikimedia Foundation, as that got created in 2003. Before the WMF, all projects were run on servers by Jimmy Wales' own company Bomis and he was god king. Regarding ia, I would assume Brion was heavily involved, because Brion has been known as an advocate of interlingua since at least 2001. --h-stt !? 13:49, 18 July 2011 (UTC)
Home wiki not defined
- You can ask for your global account to be deleted here. Then you can merge local accounts again. Ruslik 14:56, 18 July 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks for the answer. I guess that's not worth it, right? Or is there a reason I should care?
Prefix problem in Incubator
Hi, when we try to edit a page of Hungarian Wikinews in Incubator (those with the prefix wn/hu), we got the following message: "The title prefix Wn/hu is referring to already existing wiki, so you can contribute at http://hu.wikinews.org. If by any chance this is blocking you from creating any page which you think has correct format of title, please, let administrators know." This project has been closed two months ago, and the importing is halfway done. I asked the administrators there about this lock three weeks ago, but did not get a reply up until now. Does this prefix thingie belong to the administrator group of Incubator, or to somewhere else? Who can I turn to with this? Thank you, - Xbspiro 11:46, 18 July 2011 (UTC)
- Fixed. Sorry for the late response at Icubator. It will be automatic soon, so we don't have to care about that anymore. SPQRobin 21:07, 18 July 2011 (UTC)
import from zh:
- It doesn't look like it. InitialiseSettings.php gives:
'metawiki' => array( 'commons','foundation', 'w', 'cs', 'fr', 'strategy' ),
- Cbrown1023 talk 14:30, 24 July 2011 (UTC)
help... help... help
I ask to release the SockPuppet I was there named id:User: Erik Evermtus at Indonesian Wikipedia because this account will be used as a substitute if the main account stolen by others such as id:User:Kenrick95Sock.
--Erik Evrest 07:58, 9 July 2011 (UTC)
- Comment I no idea what you are asking of us; block, ban, removal their flags? fr33kman 07:56, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
Trouble at en.Wiktionary
Strange things are happening at en.wiktionary. Initial capitalization has gone wrong, main page unaccesible, links all wrong etc. Any ideas? SemperBlotto 12:41, 27 July 2011 (UTC)
Bombing and shooting in Norway
After the bombing and shooting here in Norway, there has been a lot of international coverage in the media about it. I would just like to warn the Wikipedia community about something written in Anders Behring Breivik/ Andrew Berwicks book:
Battlefield Wikipedia - an important tool to market resistance fighters/resistance movements and our world view
Members of the European Resistance Movements on all 8 political fronts must prioritise contributions in Wikipedia as a primary method for presenting our world view, our political doctrines and our definition of history.
As for members, sympathizers or anonymous contributors of the European armed resistance:
You may create a Wikipedia description prior to operation and make it “indirectly” available to sympathisers. If no Wikipedia profile has been created for the resistance fighter, any sympathiser should contribute to create one. Furthermore, we must create an article that has the potential to indirectly appeal to anyone reviewing it. If you choose to create one yourself prior to an operation you obviously can’t include ANY incriminating information. Details concerning the operation, goals, motivations and interviews and/or other info must be added by sympathisers after an operation. It is essential to describe our 70 year goal and specific goals for phase 1, 2 and 3 of the European civil war. 1-2 photos from the photo shoot should be included in the Wikipedia entry. Keep in mind that our enemies (cultural Marxists, humanists) may try to use Wikipedia to ridicule or discredit these resistance fighters. They may also attempt to sabotage existing Wikipedia entries. All sympathisers should therefore keep an eye out for these wiki attacks.
Wikipedia should not be underestimated as a primary source for contributing to create “established truths”. We must strive to present our views in the most favorable way while at the same time discredit our enemies. It is an arena we should focus on.
— 2084 A European Declaration of Independence, page 1067
The openess and anonymity of Wikipedia makes it the perfect way to spread this kind of information... Laaknor 12:54, 27 July 2011 (UTC)