Wikimedians of Latvia User Group/2018
This is a report for activities performed by Wikimedians of Latvia User Group in 2018.
- During the year 6 meetings involving local and visiting wikimedians, (at most 10 participants — at celebration of 15 years of Latvian Wikipedia), were arranged.
Multiple workshops teaching people how to contribute to Wikipedia were held:
- February: Workshop with librarians in Goethe Institut Riga, 16 participants
- March: Workshops during WikiGap campaign in Embassy of Sweden and National Library of Latvia, attending reception on March 8th
- December: Wikidata workshop at Latvia's Geospatial Information Technology (GIT) conference (slides)
- Advocacy for European Parliament vote in 2018
- Article contests
- Winter Olympics contest + promotion of global Wiki Loves the Olympics 2018
- CEE Spring 2018 article contest. Papuass was involved in organizing the contest also on international level.
- FIFA World Cup contest
- 100 years of Latvia & Estonia contest
- Tool for submitting articles for contest was created
- Photo contests
Participation in regional and global Wikimedia events
- April 20-22, 2018: Wikimedia Conference 2018, Berlin, Germany – (2 participants: Treisijs, Edgars2007)
- July 18-22, 2018: Wikimania 2018, Cape Town, South Africa – (1 participant: Papuass (WMF scolarship))
- October 5-7, 2018: Wikimedia Northern Europe Meeting 2018, Stockholm, Sweden – (5 participants: Biafra, GreenZeb, Edgars2007, Papuass, Turaids)
- October 13-15, 2018: Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018, Lviv, Ukraine – (2 participants: Biafra, Edgars2007)
Existing practices to document our events have been further improved.
- Twitter has been useful tool for spreading information about groups activities and receiving some feedback.
- Facebook account has been used alongside Twitter account.
- Instagram account was established before Wiki Loves Monuments
These social media accounts are promoted during our events.