Wikisource proofreading contests
This page provides a guide to the Wikisourcians interested in organizing and running a Wikisource proofreading contest (WPC) in their local Wikisource.
What is it?
The Wikisource proofreading contest main idea is to offer people an incentive, in the form of a competition, to help Wikisource.
A basic Wikisource proofreading contest is organized as follows:
- during the contest people can help proofread and validate book pages on Wikisource.
- for each page either proofread or validated the participant gain points.
- at the end of the contest, a prize is awarded to the Wikisourcian with the most points. Second and third-place prize are awarded with a random drawing from all the remaining contestants: each point that you gained during the contest is like a lottery ticket, so the more points you have gained during the contest (that is, the more pages you have proofread or validated), the more chances you have to win.
On Italian Wikisource the contest is usually held in November, to celebrate the birth on the Italian edition of Wikisource (November, 24th). So in that case it is a "Wikisource Anniversary Proofreading Contest" (WAPC), which was the original name of this concept.
The section aims to capture all the proofreading contests held on various Wikisource projects. Feel free to edit existing or add missing proofreading events to this table.
|S.No.||Contest||Language||Dates||Coordinators||Tools used||Project Page||Other documentation|
|1||A dictionary of the Sunda language of Java (Kamus bahasa Sunda–Inggris) proofreading contest||Sundanese & English||July 2–19, 2012||Wikimedia Indonesia||Beasiswa Perjalanan Jakarta|
|2||Italian Wikisource 10th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2013 – 1 December 2013||Wikisource Community User Group (Wikimedia Italia)||Decimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource||https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/11/21/wikisource-proofreading-contest/|
|3||English Wikisource 10th Anniversary Contest||English||24 November 2013 – 7 December 2013||Wikisource Community User Group (Wikimedia UK)||Tenth_Anniversary_Contest||https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/11/21/wikisource-proofreading-contest/|
|4||Catalan Wikisource 10th Anniversary Contest||Catalan||24 November 2013 – 1 December 2013||Wikisource Community User Group (Amical Wikimedia)||Viquirepte 10è aniversari||https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/11/21/wikisource-proofreading-contest/|
|5||Malayalam Wikisource contest 2014||Malayalam||1 January 2014 – 31 January 2014||Manojk (CIS-A2K, Kerala Sahitya Akademi, IT@School, Free Malayalam Computing)||ഡിജിറ്റൈസേഷൻ മത്സരം 2014|
|6||Catalan Wikisource Jocs Florals de Barcelona Content||Catalan||14 November 2013 – 24 November 2014||Amical Wikimedia||Viquirepte Jocs Florals de Barcelona|
|7||Italian Wikisource 11th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2014 – 1 December 2014||Wikimedia Italia||Undicesimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource|
|8||Italian Wikisource 12th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2015 – 8 December 2015||Wikimedia Italia||Dodicesimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource|
|9||Wikisource Contest 2016||Spanish||10 June 2016 – 14 July 2016||Wikimedia Argentina||Concurso_Wikisource_2016_(WMAR)|
|10||100wikidays (2nd Attempt)||French||15 September 2016 – 23 December 2016||French Wikisource Community||Wikisource:Accueil/100wikijours|
|11||Italian Wikisource 13th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2016 – 8 December 2016||Wikimedia Italia||Tredicesimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource|
|12||Bengali Wikisource 10th Anniversary Proofreading Contest||Bengali||1 January 2017 – 31 July 2017||West Bengal Wikimedians||A SQL Quarry, along with modified version of a previously built wikisource contest tool||উইকিসংকলন ১০ প্রতিযোগিতা|
|13||Wikisource Contest 2017||Spanish||7 July 2017 – 4 September 2017||Wikimedia Argentina||Convocatoria_Wikisource_2017_(WMAR)|
|14||Italian Wikisource 14th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2017 – 8 December 2017||Wikimedia Italia||Quattordicesimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource|
|15||Book Shelf 2018||Ukrainian||20 July 2018 – 20 December 2018||Arxivist / Wikimedia Ukraine||Книжкова Шафа 2018|
|16||Wikisource Contest 2018||Spanish||6 September 2018 – 19 October 2018||Wikimedia Argentina||Convocatoria_Wikisource_2018_(WMAR)|
|17||Italian Wikisource 15th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2018 – 8 December 2018||Wikimedia Italia||Quindicesimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource|
|18||Punjabi Wikisource Contest||Punjabi||21 December 2018 – 31 January 2019||Wikilover90||Wikisource Contest Tool||ਵਿਕੀਸਰੋਤ ਮੁਕਾਬਲਾ|
|19||Rabindranath months contest 1426||Bengali||9 May 2019 – 8 August 2019||West Bengal Wikimedians||Wikisource Contest Tool||রবিমাস প্রতিযোগিতা ১৪২৬||West Bengal Wikimedians 2019 Annual Activities Report|
|20||Catalan Wikisource 16th Anniversary Contest||Catalan||20 November 2019 – 5 December 2019||Amical Wikimedia||Viquirepte 16è aniversari|
|21||Italian Wikisource 16th Anniversary Contest||Italian||24 November 2019 – 8 December 2019||Wikimedia Italia||Sedicesimo_compleanno_di_Wikisource|
|22||Défi 5000 (2019)||French||1 January 2019 – 31 December 2019||French Wikisource Community||s:fr:Wikisource:Projets communautaires/Défi 5000 (2019)||Proofread at least 5000 pages per month in selected books|
|23||Kompetisi Wikisource 2020||Indonesian, English||27 April 2020 - 15 May 2020||GLAM Indonesia, Wikimedia Indonesia||Wikisource Contest Tool||Kompetisi Wikisource 2020||https://glam.wikimedia.or.id/2020/10/24/wikisource-competition-2020-recap-international-museum-day-2020/|
|24||Book Shelf 2020||Ukrainian||15 February 2020 – 31 May 2020||Arxivist / Wikimedia Ukraine||Книжкова Шафа 2020|
|25||Indic Wikisource Proofreadthon||10 Indic Wikisources||1 May 2020 - 10 May 2020||User:Jayanta (CIS-A2K)||Wikisource Contest Tool, Indic Wikisource Contest Tool||Indic Wikisource Proofreadthon|
|26||Rabindranath months contest 1427||Bengali||8 May 2020 – 7 August 2020||West Bengal Wikimedians||Indic Wikisource Contest Tool||রবিমাস প্রতিযোগিতা ১৪২৭||West Bengal Wikimedians 2020 Annual Activities Report|
|27||Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar 200th birth anniversary||Bengali||26 August 2020 – 26 September 2020||West Bengal Wikimedians||Indic Wikisource Contest Tool||ঈশ্বরচন্দ্র বিদ্যাসাগর দ্বিশতজন্মবার্ষিকী প্রতিযোগিতা||West Bengal Wikimedians 2020 Annual Activities Report|
|28||Défi 5000 (2020)||French||1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020||French Wikisource Community||s:fr:Wikisource:Projets communautaires/Défi 5000 (2020)/Janvier 2020||Proofread at least 5000 pages per month in selected books|
|29||Mission 7500||French||1 January 2021 – 31 December 2021||French Wikisource Community||s:fr:Wikisource:Projets communautaires/Mission 7500 (2021)||Proofread and validate at least 7500 pages per month in selected books|
|30||British Library - Two Centuries of Indian Print||Bengali||15 March 2021 – 14 April 2021||West Bengal Wikimedians||Indic Wikisource Contest Tool||ব্রিটিশ লাইব্রেরি - ভারতীয় মুদ্রণের দুই শতক প্রতিযোগিতা ২০২১ (মার্চ-এপ্রিল)||West Bengal Wikimedians 2021 Annual Activities Report|
|31||Kompetisi Wikisource 2021||Indonesian, English||15 April 2021 - 30 April 2021||GLAM Indonesia, Wikimedia Indonesia||Wikisource Contest Tool||Kompetisi Wikisource 2021||https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/April_2021/Contents/Indonesia_report|
|32||Book Shelf 2021||Ukrainian||1 May 2021 – 31 August 2021||Wikimedia Ukraine||Книжкова Шафа 2021|
|33||Rabindranath months contest 1428||Bengali||9 May 2021 – 8 August 2021||West Bengal Wikimedians||Indic Wikisource Contest Tool||রবিমাস প্রতিযোগিতা ১৪২৮||West Bengal Wikimedians 2021 Annual Activities Report|
|34||British Library - Two Centuries of Indian Print||Bengali||1 September 2021 - 30 November 2021||West Bengal Wikimedians||Indic Wikisource Contest Tool||উইকিসংকলন:ব্রিটিশ লাইব্রেরি - ভারতীয় মুদ্রণের দুই শতক প্রতিযোগিতা ২০২১ (সেপ্টেম্বর-নভেম্বর)||West Bengal Wikimedians 2021 Annual Activities Report|
|35||Kompetisi Ulang Tahun Wikisource 2021||Indonesian||24 November 2021 – 5 December 2022||GLAM Indonesia, Wikimedia Indonesia, Komunitas Wikisource Indonesia||Wikisource Contest Tool||Kompetisi Ulang Tahun Wikisource 2021|
|36||Kompetisi Wikisource 2022||Indonesian, Javanese, Balinese||09 April 2022 - 23 April 2022||GLAM Indonesia, Wikimedia Indonesia||Wikisource Contest Tool||Kompetisi Wikisource 2022|
|37||Kompetisi WikiPustaka 2022||Balinese||09 11 July 2022 - 25 July 2022||GLAM Indonesia, Wikimedia Indonesia, Komunitas Wikimedia Denpasar||Wikisource Contest Tool||Kompetisi Wikipustaka 2022|
|38||Rabindranath months contest 1429||Bengali||9 May 2022 – 8 August 2022||West Bengal Wikimedians||Wikisource Contest Tool||রবিমাস প্রতিযোগিতা ১৪২৯|
|39||Bangladesh Liberation War proofread contest 2022||Bengali||1 December 2022 - 31 December 2022||বাংলা উইকিমৈত্রী||Wikisource Contest Tool||বাংলাদেশের স্বাধীনতা যুদ্ধ মুদ্রণ সংশোধন প্রতিযোগিতা ২০২২|
|40||Wikisource for World Heritage||Arabic||1 December 2022 - 31 December 2022||Wiki World Heritage||مسابقة ويكي مصدر والتراث العالمي||Project WikiSourceForWH on Meta|
|41||Wikisource in Uganda 2022||English||03 - 31 December 2022||Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda||WikiSource Contest Tool/ WikiSource Uganda Contest|
How to organize your local Wikisource proofreading contest
Organizing a Wikisource proofreading contest is very simple:
- put together an organizing team on your local Wikisource. We have tools that will help you with running the contest, but you will need at least 3 or 4 fellow Wikisourcian to effectively organize a WPC. These people should ideally be experienced Wikisourcians who know well the policies and customs of your local Wikisource, having local sysops or patrollers is of great help;
- decide when you will run the contest and publish in advance the detail of the rules on your local Wikisource;
- find some prizes to offer to the winners and/or participants, you may ask your local chapter to sponsor or finance the prizes;
- choose a set of books that need to be proofread and validated from you local Wikisource. Since the contest is centered around proofreading and validation you should choose books were almost all pages just need proofreading and validation;
- advertise the contest with your local community, you may ask to the sister projects' communities in your language and/or set up a CentralNotice banner;
- run the contest! (see below)
How to run your local Wikisource Anniversary Proofreading Contest
Running a WPC is even simpler:
- Before the contest
- Gather the books to be validated or proofread and decide the prizes (which must be available before the contest)
- Decide the main rules of the contest (score table / involvement or exclusion of admins / arbitration committee / awarding the winners)
- set up the main page of the contest
- set up complimentary gadgets (barnstars, link to help pages for newcomers, more indexes to be added during the contest if needed)
- advertise the contest on other projects in the local vilage pumps, asking to put a link to the contest in the SiteNotice.
- During the contest
- You should check that pages are proofread and validated correctly, that is participants are not cheating by marking pages as proofread or validate without reading them. Your local patrollers and sysops should be able to recognize this behavior on sight. The system takes into account the possibility that pages are "demoted", i. e. they go from a higher completion status (like "proofread" or "validated") to a lower one.
- The tool lives at https://wscontest.toolforge.org/
- After the contest
- All proofread books should be listed as a general accomplishment in a subpage of the main page of the contest
- All participants should be listed with their number of edited pages according to the rules
- The arbitration committee and a tech-savvy external user select the winner and the runner-ups
- announce the winners;
- award the prizes to the winners;
Anyone can create a contest on the Wikisource Contests tool. First log in, and then go to https://wscontest.toolforge.org Enter the details of your contest, and save it. It will check the index page URLs you enter and remove any invalid ones (typos etc.), so make sure to check the list after you've saved to confirm that it's what you want.
The tool runs the scoring process every 15 minutes while a contest is underway, and then again just after it's finished.
Legacy code is also on GitHub)
They will consist of three main parts:
votecounterscripts, to count the points for each contestant;
rankingscript, to designate the winner (who has the most points) and to draw the second and third-place winners;
- a simple page (see wscontest/website @ github);
How to run a contest using the legacy tools
During the contest:
- during the contest, you should check that pages are proofread and validated correctly, that is participants are not cheating by marking pages as proofread or validate without reading them. Your local patrollers and sysops should be able to recongnize this behavior on sight. The system takes into account the possibility that pages are "demoted", i. e. they go from a higher completion status (like "proofread" or "validated") to a lower one.
After the contest:
- run the
votecounterscripts, to count the points for each contestant;
- run the
- announce the winners;
- award the prizes to the winners;
- Aubrey (talk)
- Bodhisattwa (talk) 19:05, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
- Jayantanth (talk)
- --Manojk (talk) 16:00, 22 September 2016 (UTC)
- Sam Wilson
- Satdeep Gill (talk) 11:31, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 13:53, 17 December 2018 (UTC)
- +1. ··· 🌸 Rachmat04 · ☕ 02:44, 22 April 2019 (UTC)
- Balajijagadesh (talk)