WikiConference India 2016 updates
Thanks for signing up as a volunteer for WikiConference India 2016 (WCI 2016). Here are some updates regarding the event:
- WCI 2016 will take place on 5th, 6th, and 7th of August 2016 at Chandigarh Group of Colleges, Landran (Mohali). Please save these dates. We will open conference registration soon.
- PEG request for WCI 2016 has been approved. We appreciate WMF PEG team's support and decision in facilitating this. We thank all community members who endorsed and contributed to this initiative. We are excited and look forward to an intensive month planning and executing WCI 2016.
- Phase 1 filtering of scholarship applications has been done. Among 450+ applications, 200+ applications have been shortlisted for final review. We are expecting to announce the results by July first week.
- WCI 2016 Call for Participation is open now. Please submit your proposals for paper presentations, lightning talks, and workshops.
- Please take WCI 2016 Program Survey and help us design the conference based on community's needs.
- Please initiate and participate in the Punjab edit-a-thon. It is a gift from all Indian language communities for the Punjabi community which is hosting the conference. The community that adds most number of bytes or words will be awarded a trophy.
- Please review our conference Code of Conduct.
- Please place any feedback regarding the event at the meta talk page. You can also join us for the weekly IRC sessions we hold every Wednesday and Saturday at 2130 IST at #wikiconferenceindia channel. You may also find frequent updates through our Facebook group and mailing list.
WCI 2016 Team.
P.S. If you wish to stop receiving such updates, please remove your name here.
WikiConference India 2016 program
Congratulations again on your proposal being selected!
We hope you have registered for the conference. If not please follow the instructions at: http://wci2016.doattend.com/ If you are a scholarship recipient - use the Wikimedia Registration option. In case you are not attending or unable to attend, please let us know at the earliest so that the schedules can be readjusted accordingly.
The program schedule is available here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2016/Programs
Please make sure you read the presenter guidelines. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2016/Presenter_guidelines
We look forward to seeing you in Chandigarh!
For program committee
Reporting and other updates for WikiConference India 2016 scholarship recipients
Glad to get in touch with you after the conference!
- Please give your feedback for the conference through this survey before 25th August 2016.
- As part of the scholarship agreement, please document your learnings and experience using the form here before 31st August 2016.
- If you haven't claimed reimbursement yet, please fill this claim form and post it to the following address before 18th August, 2016. Please attach original bills and boarding passes. Please note that we won't be extending the date any further.
- The Centre for Internet and Society,
- Attention: Mr. Ajoy Kumar,
- No. 194, 2nd ‘C’ Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage, Bengaluru, 560071.
- Please upload your conference presentations at Commons under WikiConference India 2016 presentations category.
- Please upload pictures, videos you shot during the conference at Commons under an appropriate subcategory of WikiConference India 2016 category.
Message posted by Ravi
Survey on Inspire Campaign for addressing harassment
Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on addressing harassment from June 2016. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.
- @Stwalkerster: There was a small confusion due to continued spam attack. Decision reverted. [https://ta.wiktionary.org/s/7r4r] Thanks for taking effort to contact me. Cheers -- Balajijagadesh (talk) 19:02, 3 July 2018 (UTC)
Update on Tamil Wiktionary app
I have some information to relay about Wikitionary. This comes from @CKoerner (WMF):
Hey Lane, We spoke briefly at Wikimania about the Wiktionary App. You had mentioned that there was a community (Tamil was it?) that had an interest in the app. I have a little news on the subject. I reached out to Josh Minor and Charlotte Gauthier, the product managers of the IOS and Android app respectively. Concidentially they had been discussing what to do with the app. The plan as it stands now is to remove it from the Google Play store. The app has not been updated in a long time (over 6 years), runs on an ancient version of a "middleware" called PhoneGap that is now owned by Adobe. The folks currently using the app can continue to do so and the source code will remain available on Github.
I learned that in 2015 (I can't find a link at the moment) the foundation did reach out to ask folks if they'd like to take over the project, but no one was interested at the time. There is the opportunity that the app could follow the successful trend of the Commons android app - community developed and supported by Wikimedia grants. Talking to the developers a bit, they suggest writing a whole new app rather than trying to revive the existing code.
So, ugh, I wish I had better news.
The takeaway from this is that the Wiktionary App seems like a dead end for now due to lack of funding.
I do not want to suggest hope where there is none, but also, everything about this could change in the next few years. One additional big development is that the Wikidata development plan includes integration with Wiktionary. This will not save the app in the short term, but this is a large resource investment to improved the back end of Wiktionary. After the backend gets a redesign, I would expect the front end app to be revived. This is probably a 3+ year project.
Another possibility is that you might make a feature request in the upcoming 2018 Community Wishlist Survey. At the end of the year any Wiki person can make a request for software development. Everyone votes, then the Wikimedia Foundation does the top 10 things. If you wanted to participate then write a few sentences about what you want and why you need it. The international Wikimedia community is very supportive of submissions which are for sister projects like Wiktionary and also projects which benefit languages other than English. You made a good case to me and I think you have a chance at a good submission for this, even if you write only 5-8 sentences and submit it. Also even if your idea is not in the top 10 this is a good venue to make the request, as the WMF counts all the submissions to make development decisions.
If you do make a wishlist submission in a couple of months then ping me. I will support and I will call on other people to support. Look at previous years wishlists to see how this works.
- @Bluerasberry: Thanks for finding my talk page and replying in detail. Sure I wish to write it in the upcoming community wishlist survey. That time I will inform you too. The person was correct in telling that it is better to write a new app rather than modify an older version. The idea was is it possible to develop the app from the wikipedia app code or commons app code. Its true that wikidata is planning for integration of dictionary in a big way. As you said since this would take time. Until then we can give a working wiktionary app for the community. We will follow this up. @Maskaravivek: is a commons app developer. He is also interested in wiktionary app. Many a thanks for the follow up. -- 17:37, 17 August 2018 (UTC)
- Reminder - the Community Wishlist Survey 2019 opens at the end of the month. Let me know when you make your submission and I will comment and support. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:03, 13 October 2018 (UTC)
- Sure -- Balajijagadesh (talk) 05:46, 21 October 2018 (UTC)
- @Ganeshk: check it out! You guys have a couple of categories you could choose - Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wiktionary and Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Mobile and apps. Balaji, can you get in touch with Ganesh to describe the problem with Tamil Wiktionary to him? If you two can come to an understanding about the problem and post a proposal then I will solicit community support for it. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:09, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
- Deadline is tomorrow so I made an attempt to post the request - Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wiktionary/Tamil Wiktionary as pilot app. Blue Rasberry (talk) 18:54, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Bluerasberry: sorry for the delay. I ll update rightway. Thanks for supporting all these time. -- Balajijagadesh (talk) 03:04, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Bluerasberry: I have updated my comments. Thanks a ton again - Balajijagadesh (talk) 03:28, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- Okay, so the WMF team says that this project is too big. However, we do have an offer posted in Phabricator. "'ll make you all a deal. :) Get a project page up on Meta and if you need help learning more about the resources I mentioned, mention me on the talk page. I'll point you in the right direction." I interpret this to mean that if we make a short landing page on meta for the project, then at least we can have a discussion page for the request and a log of who wants the project and how it can be developed. I think the app will be developed someday, particularly with developments from Wikidata and the lexeme project, and posting a landing page could speed the discussion by years. If anyone jumps on the project page first then they can start it. Otherwise I am tied up probably till early 2019 and will post something then. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:30, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Bluerasberry: I have updated my comments. Thanks a ton again - Balajijagadesh (talk) 03:28, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
நடுவில் கொஞ்சம் பக்கத்தைக் காணோம்
https://ta.wikisource.org/wiki/பக்கம்:தமிழ்_நாடக_வரலாறும்_சங்கரதாச_சுவாமிகளும்.pdf/30 மூலத்தின் 11ம் பக்கத்தையும்,
https://ta.wikisource.org/wiki/பக்கம்:தமிழ்_நாடக_வரலாறும்_சங்கரதாச_சுவாமிகளும்.pdf/31 மூலத்தின் 14ம் பக்கத்தையும், காட்டுகின்றன.
எனவே, நூலின் 12 மற்றும் 13ம் பக்கங்கள் தரவேற்றப்படவில்லை.
தயை கூர்ந்து ஆவன செய்யுமாறு கேட்டுக் கொள்கின்றேன்.
- @TI Buhari: எடுத்துக்கூறியதற்கு நன்றி. சரிசெய்துவிட்டேன். -- Balajijagadesh (talk) 16:43, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
The TWUG on space.wmflabs.org
A few months ago, WMF opened a new discussion space. Since our user group has some difficulties to communicate (not everyone sees the messages that are posted on Talk:Wiktionary/Tremendous_Wiktionary_User_Group), I asked for a dedicated forum for the TWUG to be opened. It's happening here (there is no topic so far).
Community Wishlist Survey 2020
You are getting this message because you've previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey, in either the Wikisource or Wiktionary categories. I wanted to let you know that this year's survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until November 11. Unlike previous years, we are only accepting proposals for non-Wikipedia content projects with no dedicated teams (i.e., Wikibooks, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikiversity, Wikispecies, Wikivoyage, and Wikinews). You can learn more on the survey page.
You can vote on proposals from November 20 to December 2. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won't send out a separate reminder to you about that. We look forward to your participation. Thank you! IFried (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 22 October 2019 (UTC)
Thank you and Happy Diwali
Community Tech Launches Wikisource Improvement Initiative
We hope you are all healthy and safe in these difficult times.
The Community Tech team has just launched a new initiative to improve Wikisource. We have created the first project (Improve ebook exports), which came out of the 2020 Community Wishlist Survey. We now invite you to share your feedback on the project talk page. Please let us know what you think of our project analysis; we want to hear from you! Furthermore, we hope that you will participate in the other Wikisource improvement projects, which we’ll address in the future. Thank you in advance and we look forward to reading your feedback on the project talk page!
-- IFried (WMF) (Product Manager, Community Tech)
News from the Tremendous Wiktionary User Group
I let you this message because you are part of the (very dynamic) Tremendous Wiktionary User Group!
As the process of name change is ongoing for the Wikimedia Foundation, I invite you to participate to a collective opinion from the user group. There is also a proposal for a communique directed to the WMF. You are welcome to discuss it too. I imagine you may also express your opinion through other canals but your inputs are still welcome! Thank you in advance! Noé (talk) 15:44, 17 June 2020 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Women South Asia Barnstar Award
Thank you for organizing the Wiki Loves Women South Asia Project and collaborating with us from behalf of Tamil Wiki Community. We are appreciative of your tireless efforts for your Jury work and all your support for this project on Tamil Wikipedia. We are deeply inspired with your persistent efforts, dedication to keep the editors motivated and support to bridge the gender and cultural gap on Wikipedia. Your tireless perseverance and love for the movement has brought us one step closer to our quest for attaining equity for underrepresented knowledge in our Wikimedia Projects. We are lucky to have inspiring and wonderful leaders like you in our movement. Please find your Wiki Loves Women South Asia postcard here. Keep shining!
Invitation to affiliate members to complete a survey about WMF wide Universal Code of Conduct
Hello; My name is Mervat, and I am helping the Trust and Safety team to reach out to affiliates in order to discuss the Universal Code of Conduct.
There has been talks about the need for a global set of conduct rules in different communities over time, and finally, Wikimedia Foundation Board announced a Community Culture Statement, enacting new standards to address harassment and promote inclusivity across projects.Since the universal code of conduct that will be a binding minimum set of standards across all Wikimedia projects, will apply to all of us, staff and volunteers alike, all around the globe, and will impact our work as groups, individuals and projects, it’s of great importance that we all participate in expressing our opinions and thoughts about UCoC, its nature, what we think it should cover or include and what it shouldn’t include; how it may develop, drawback or help our groups. This is the time to talk about it. As you are a valuable contributor to the Wikimedia movement, your voice counts. Before starting to draft the code of conduct, we would like to hear from you; We invite you to devote some minutes to take this survey; your answers will help us create a safer environment for all on Wikimedia:
It’s possible that you are a member of more than one affiliate; hence you may receive this survey more than once, and you may have participated previously in the discussions or filled out a previous survey during the first round of consultations about UCoC which targeted wikipedia/wikimedia communities. We apologize for this; it is really difficult to identify if a wikimedian belongs to multiple groups that work to spread free knowledge. Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions and hoping that you can respond within the next 2 weeks. If you have any questions about the surveys or difficulties accessing the link, please contact me by email (email@example.com)Results will be considered during the drafting process for the UCoCThank you for your participation
Feedback requested: August update for ebook export improvement project
Hello, Balajijagadesh! The Community Tech team has posted an August update to the Wikisource Ebook Export Improvement project, and we would love your feedback. The update includes findings from our community consultation, results from two technical analyses, and proposed next steps for the project. The feedback you provided has been crucial, and it has helped us understand how to approach our work. For this reason, we invite you to check out the latest update and share your feedback on the project talk page. Thank you in advance! --IFried (WMF) (talk) 14:34, 21 August 2020 (UTC)
Happy Diwali 2020
Global Conversations registration reminder
This is a reminder that if you have not yet registered for the Global Conversations on Nov. 21 and 22, please do so! Register here. Registration closes by Nov. 20. We will email you the login information for Zoom prior to the call. Thank you. Looking forward to welcoming you this weekend.
18:25, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)