WikiJournal User Group
The WikiJournal User Group (previously the Wikiversity Journal User Group) is a group of scholarly journals that apply academic academic peer review to their content. WikiJournal emphasizes transparency throughout the publication process, from peer review to final version. Thereby, WikiJournal encourages editors to not only summarize existing human knowledge, but also to build upon it. Also, WikiJournal acquires articles containing media (such as images) to enrich Wikipedia articles.
WikiJournals dual-publish accepted articles to create both a stable, formal version, and also integrate suitable information into Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. It uses an open-access academic publishing model, which scholars and academics may be more familiar with, and so provides citable, indexed articles. It has been a user group of Wikimedia since June 1, 2016.
The mission of WikiJournal is to publish scholarly works with no cost for the authors, apply quality checks on submissions by expert peer review, and make accepted works available on the Internet free of charge, in perpetuity.
- 1 Journals in this group
- 2 Contribute
- 3 WikiJournal Council
- 4 Pillars
- 5 See also
Journals in this group
WikiJournal is intended to be an expanding group of open access journals focused on various topics.
|Journal title||Logo||Scope||Peer reviews||Abides||Indexed & Listed||Started|
|WikiJournal of Medicine||Medicine
|Public academic peer review by independent experts||ICMJE
Pubmed: Not yet
|WikiJournal of Science||Science
|Intended: Public academic peer review by independent experts||ISSN: 2470-6345
DOI: Not yet
Pubmed: Not yet
|Journal scientifique libre||Science||None yet||Not yet||Not yet||2016|
WikiJournal of Medicine
WikiJournal of Medicine is a scientific journal in medicine and biomedicine. It is an open access journal with no publication cost for authors. It was started in 2014. All included articles have been peer reviewed by medical experts. Edits to accepted journal articles may be reverted if they are not merely technical in nature, since changes to the main text may require renewed peer review.
WikiJournal of Medicine abides by several journal guidelines:
- ICMJE recommendations: 
- COPE code of conduct 
- Budapest Open Access Initiative recommendations: 
WikiJournal of Science
WikiJournal of Science provides students and instructors at or near the college or university level with concise articles that are focused to specific levels of education. It does not plan to publish scientific research or discussions on how to teach. While editors are committed to having each article reviewed by at least one person familiar with the subject, this is not a traditional peer-reviewed journal.
This journal can accept submissions from any Wikimedia sister project, or even abridged versions of such articles. Each published article is available in both editable and uneditable forms, including a PDF format that is convenient for off-line viewing or paper-copy printing. The CC-by-SA license places well over 5 million articles in this journal's "in-box".
Journal scientifique libre
You can contribute to WikiJournal in many ways, including those in list below. More specific information can be found at each journal, such as at WikiJournal of Medicine/Contribute.
- Publishing an article in any of the journals
- Peer review of article submissions. Further instructions can be found in corresponding pages for each journal:
- Outreach to potential article authors, including:
- Many scholars have written theses that are not published, but could very well fit into a journal.
- Also, the project can be presented to students, such as participants in wikiedu.org. Students are often required to complete a research project as a part of their studies, and these journals provide them a potential means of getting their projects published.
- Add yourself to the public email list of WikiJournal: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikijournal-en
- Donate to Wikimedia Foundation.
- Review of existing publications. Anyone may edit articles even after publication, but such edits are monitored daily.
- Joining the editorial board of a journal.
- Share your ideas of what the journal would be like in the future as separate Wikimedia project.
- Translate journal pages into other languages. Wikiversity currently exists in the following other languages: Čeština, Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano, 한국어, Português, Slovenščina, Suomi, Svenska, Ελληνικά, Русский, العربية, 日本語
- Start a journal
The WikiJournal Council consists of users who participate in common interests of the journals at Wikiversity. Members of the WikiJournal Council also direct the creation and/or acceptance of additional journals in this group. Discussions should take place on this Discuss page or at the public mailing list at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikijournal-en. Membership in the WikiJournal Council is not a requirement to contribute to WikiJournal or any of the included journals, even as a journal official such as a board member. Yet, if you are interested in joining the WikiJournal Council, please express it in an entry at this Discuss page
- Diptanshu Das
- Felipe Schenone
- Guy vandegrift
- Mikael Häggström
- James Heilman
- Daniel Mietchen
- Thomas Shafee
(Currently under discussion at: Wikiversity:Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Pillars)
WikiJournal is an academic journal
WikiJournal is peer reviewed
WikiJournal is free content that anyone can use, edit and distribute
WikiJournal has no firm rules
- Recognition of WikiJournal User Group - May 31, 2016
- Proposal as a Wikimedia 'Sister project'
- Article about the project in The Conversation. May 24, 2016
- Podcast by Primedia Broadcasting. May 31, 2016
- WikiJournal of Business and Economics - The nucleus/start of a business journal.