|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|What is the proposed name for the project?||Wikiwisdom|
|Proposed project tagline||A collection of anecdotes, proverbs, quotations, lyrics, poetry, narratives and humor.|
What is the project purpose? What will be its scope? How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|This project intends to provide a large-scale, crowdsourced collection of wisdom materials (anecdotes, proverbs, quotations, lyrics, poetry, narratives and humor). This project intends to increase the ease with which people can search for, discover and share wisdom materials. This project intends to advance scholarly and scientific research into wisdom, folklore, heritage, tradition, history and culture.|
|How many wikis?
Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?
|To be determined.|
|How many languages?
Is the project going to be in one language or in many?
If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?
|To be determined.|
This is a proposal for a large-scale, crowdsourced collection of wisdom materials (anecdotes, proverbs, quotations, lyrics, poetry, narratives and humor).
- 1 Proposed by
- 2 Alternative names
- 3 Related projects/proposals
- 4 Domain names
- 5 Mailing list links
- 6 Demos
- 7 Technical discussion topics
- 8 People interested
- 9 Discussion
To be determined.
The domain wikiwisdom.org is presently parked.
Technical discussion topics
Wisdom materials can be secular or non-secular, contemporary or historical. Wisdom materials provide value by educating, inspiring, uplifting, invigorating and motivating.
Modeling, metadata and ontology
With respect to modeling, a wisdom material can be described as having one or more interpretations. Wisdom materials and their interpretations can be modeled as having: text content for indexing, keywords, categories, metadata and so forth.
With respect to metadata, precise descriptions of wisdom materials and of their interpretations include the components of: authorship, region of origin, date of origin, original language, original culture, philosophical tradition, and so forth.
With respect to ontology, wisdom materials and their interpretations can be interrelated in a number of ways. For instance, two wisdom materials or interpretations could be described as being similar or being paraphrases of one another.
The proposed project intends to include Wikidata integration. In this way, this proposal resembles the Structured Wikiquote proposal.
Search and discovery
In addition to keyword-based search, envisioned are: keyword-based search into interpretations, metadata-based search capabilities, and contextual, situational or case-based search capabilities.
Certain varieties of wisdom materials make use of language figuratively and, thus, their indexing should not merely make use of their literal text. For instance, the proverb “a rolling stone gathers no moss” is not always best searched for by its literal text. For reasons including content discovery, it is desirable to be able to search into the interpretations of wisdom materials.
Metadata-based search can involve the use of forms with form elements corresponding to elements of metadata models of wisdom materials.
Contextual, situational or case-based search is the description of real-life contexts, situations or cases to obtain responsive, paginated sequences of search results. Means of describing contexts, situations or cases could be natural-language-based, making use of text input areas, or could make use of other user interface elements such as dynamic sequences of data-driven menus.
Social media integration
The proposed project intends to include social media integration. Social media integration would increase the ease with which people could search for, discover and share wisdom materials.
The proposed project intends to, by amassing materials and structured data from contributors, advance scholarly and scientific research into wisdom, folklore, heritage, tradition, history and culture.
- will post some ideas on the TP later RhinosF1 (talk) 20:55, 15 August 2019 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) 09:22, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- I support everything but I wish on the long term we could have an integrated wikisource-wikiquote-commons platform to host directly all these things like a real library without creating new projects.--Alexmar983 (talk) 11:24, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- Peterjh2cm Interested in how a generic conceptual framework (Hodges' model) might facilitate critical thinking, problem solving and 'wisdom'.
- Zeroexp Interested in this idea of narrative and how to link the concepts and context of these kinds of narratives with wikidata or other linked data entities.
- Wisdom Treasure, Taiwan Wisdom is my Realm - NOt sure how to contribute but generally interested in wisdom stuff and data
- Oppose this proposal is an 'OK idea, but has it's similarities with existing (approved) Wikimedia projects (Wikiquote). Although this would be great for another type of website, i dont think this qualifies mainly as a 'Wiki' Arep Ticous 17:22, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
- I think this would very quickly turn into a spam-fest. Vermont (talk) 22:16, 29 August 2019 (UTC)
- We are not an advice website. This isn't a horrible idea, but it's not great either. We already have Wikiquote. SelfieCity (talk) 18:25, 31 August 2019 (UTC)