Affiliate Chairpersons meeting April 20 2018
Invitation Affiliate Chairpersons meeting Friday April 20, 2018
Place: Wikimedia Conference Hotel - Room Hasenheide
Time: 12:00 - 13:30
This meeting is open only for chairs of Wikimedia organizations, chapters and thematic organizations.
Present: (Please list your attendance)
- Frans Grijzenhout (WMNL)
- Itzik Edri WMIL
- Josie Fraser WMUK
- Susanna Mkrtchyan WMAM
- Laurentius (talk) 10:18, 3 April 2018 (UTC) WMIT
- Vojtěch Dostál (talk) 10:45, 3 April 2018 (UTC) WMCZ
- Heikki Kastemaa WMFI--Kulttuurinavigaattori (talk) 10:50, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
- Philip Kopetzky (WMAT)
- Filip Maljković WMRS (FiliP ██)
- Pru Mitchell Wikimedia Australia (WMAU)
- Barcelona (talk) 08:54, 4 April 2018 (UTC) (amical wikimedia)
- Hogne Neteland (WMNO)
- Megs (talk) 12:18, 4 April 2018 (UTC) (WM-NYC)
- Joao Vasconcelos Mvasconcellosx WMPT
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight (WMUS-DC)
- Mattias Blomgren (WMSE)
- Finn Årup Nielsen (fnielsen) (talk) (WMDK)
- Douglas Scott (WMZA)
- Pierre-Yves Beaudouin (WMFR)
- SPQRobin (WMBE)
- Elena Sanz on behalf of Santiago Navarro (WMES)
- Benoit Rochon (WMCA)
- Käbi Suvi on behalf of (WMEE)
- Rinto Jiang (WMID)
- Нестеренко Оля (talk) 08:44, 13 April 2018 (UTC) Wikimedia Ukraine
- Lukas Mezger on behalf of Tim Moritz 07:15, 16 April 2018 (UTC) WMDE
- Wojciech Pędzich WMPL
- Dyolf77 (talk) (WMTN)
- Drbug WMRU
- Joao Vasconcelos Mvasconcellosx WMPT
- Liang-chih ShangKuan (WMTW)
- Notes Affiliate Chairpersons meeting August 12 2017
- Strategy update + looking forward: How can we contribute to the next phase?
- Development of the Wikimedia organizations. Tim Moritz Hector prepared a discussion note: Development of organisations of the Wikiverse – what do we need to evolve?
- Wikimedia finance system. Michal Buczynski and Mykola Kozlenko prepared a discussion note: Development of organisations of the Wikiverse – how should we disseminate the funds?
- Other issues
- Next chair meeting (Cape Town), necessary actions / preparations
- People who are new here introduce briefly. If you attended the meeting please make sure that you are listed above.
- We quickly went through the notes from previous meeting August 12, 2017 and approved them.
3. Strategy Update + looking forward
Reflections on opening session
- Wojciech, how can we make it more concrete and focused, following the vague wording of the first phase.
- Lukas: at least people are posing the right questions.
- Christophe explains why WMDE is involved in the strategy process. Rather, they were looking for the expert knowledge of Nicole and also WMF did not want to fully "own" the process.
Nicole: Phase II is now kicking off.
- The strategy is supposed to be also a change process for the movement. We need clarity in order to achieve understanding in the movement. And we need to sort out roles, resources and the responsibilities of key players in the movement.
- Different groups may need to contextualize the strategic plan based on their needs/specific context; we need to encourage experimentation on local level.
- Tactical approach to community oriented processes and development; many technical issues were raised in strategic discussion by community members.
- And as Christophe said during the opening session of the Conference: everything is now back on the table, even stuff like "what is WMF for"; be bold and discuss everything.
Nicole presents a roadmap for 2018-20.
- An important concept in the roadmap is the work to be done by thematic working groups. These will produce recommendations.
- An important issue has not yet been solved: what is the legitimacy of these recommendations. The WMF board of trustees needs to sort this out. Christophe says they don't know yet.
- Josie: this means that there is a needs to be proper and to see that sufficient resources are made available.
- Nicole introduces the WMCON strategy track. The result of this track will be a portfolio of "input documents" for the thematic working groups.
- Frans: It would be nice if the chairpersons are directly addressed (eg by e-mail) to obtain input from them. He explains that we as chair people can recommend experts from our local chapter for the various working groups.
- Others: Yep, so that our voice is heard.
- Nicole will send out "job descriptions" for members of the working groups to the chairs.
4. Development of the Wikimedia organizations
In the light of the growing number of Wikimedia affiliates Tim Moritz prepared a discussion note. He describes the functions that we need for a healthy and sustainable organizational structure: Development of organisations of the Wikiverse – what do we need to evolve?
Things we need:
- Formality, organizational checks - a process for recognition, de-recognition
- Typology of organizations - maybe a body which would strive to understand the network of organizations
- Support for new organizations (mentoring, guidance, consulting) - Philip reminds that we need a support infrastructure so that the work is not solely on grant commissions etc (APG team), also for established affiliates (especially peer to peer support).
- Support for Conflict management (whistle blowers)
Follow-up: There is support for the ideas that are put forward in this memo. Lukas will hand it to Nicole so that it can be used as input for the strategy process.
5. Funds dissemination
An Open paper, written by Mykola and Michal: Development of organisations of the Wikiverse – how should we disseminate the funds?
The paper states that:
- There is a need for more non-financial support provided to grantees
- And a need for more resources to the grant making teams themselves
- Itzik: Shouldn't the requirement from us be like: Is the process too long / Are the right decisions made / Is the consulting process good.
- Lukas: The community voice in funds dissemination is important and should somehow be addressed.
- Christophe: Is this the right discussion? We should think about what is the goal, and what will be the best practice of funding the chapters' activities.
- The document will require some more work, and then sent out again.
- Vojtěch: WM Czechia is working on documentation regarding the roles and responsibilities of an ED. He used documents from WMNL, WMUK and WMDE to make a document that is suitable for smaller chapters. When the document is ready Vojtech will send a mail via the chairpersonslist. And he will upload it to the Board Member Support page.
- Frans asks who will attend Wikimania Cape Town. About 15 fingers were raised. This means that we can start with the preparations for the next chairpersons meeting in Cape Town.
Frans closes the meeting at 13:32.