Affiliate Chairpersons meeting April 20 2018
Invitation Affiliate Chairpersons meeting Friday April 20, 2018
Place: Wikimedia Conference Hotel - Room Hasenheide
Time: 12:00 - 13:30
This meeting is open only for chairs of Wikimedia organizations, chapters and thematic organizations.
Present: (Please list your attendance)
- Frans Grijzenhout WMNL
- Itzik Edri WMIL
- Josie Fraser WMUK
- Susanna Mkrtchyan WMAM
- Laurentius (talk) 10:18, 3 April 2018 (UTC) WMIT
- --Vojtěch Dostál (talk) 10:45, 3 April 2018 (UTC) WMCZ
- Heikki Kastemaa WMFI--Kulttuurinavigaattori (talk) 10:50, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
- Philip Kopetzky (WMAT)
- Filip Maljković WMRS (FiliP ██)
- Pru Mitchell Wikimedia Australia (WMAU)
- --Barcelona (talk) 08:54, 4 April 2018 (UTC) (amical wikimedia)
- Hogne Neteland (WMNO)
- Megs (talk) 12:18, 4 April 2018 (UTC) (WM-NYC)
- Joao Vasconcelos Mvasconcellosx WMPT
- Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight (WMUS-DC)
- Mattias Blomgren (WMSE)
- Finn Årup Nielsen (fnielsen) (talk) (WMDK)
- Douglas Scott (WMZA)
- Pierre-Yves Beaudouin (WMFR)
- SPQRobin (WMBE)
- Elena Sanz on behalf of Santiago Navarro (WMES)
- Benoit Rochon (WMCA)
- Käbi Suvi on behalf of (WMEE)
- Rinto Jiang WMID
- --Нестеренко Оля (talk) 08:44, 13 April 2018 (UTC) Wikimedia Ukraine
- --Tim Moritz 07:15, 16 April 2018 (UTC) WMDE
- Wojciech Pędzich WMPL
- Dyolf77 (talk) (WMTN)
- Drbug WMRU
- Liang-chih ShangKuan (WMTW)
- Notes Affiliate Chairpersons meeting August 12 2017
- Strategy update + looking forward: How can we contribute to the next phase?
- Development of the Wikimedia organizations. Tim Moritz Hector prepared a discussion note: Development_of_organisations_of_the_Wikiverse_–_what_do_we_need_to_evolve?
- Wikimedia finance system. Michal Buczynski and Mykola Kozlenko prepared a discussion note: Development_of_organisations_of_the_Wikiverse_–_how_should_we_disseminate_the_funds?
- Other issues
- Next chair meeting (Cape Town), necessary actions / preparations
- People who are new here introduce briefly. If you attended the meeting please make sure that you are listed above.
- We quickly went through the notes from previous meeting August 12, 2017 and approved them.
3. Strategy Update + looking forward
- Reflection on opening session
- Wojciech, how can me make it more concrete and focused following the vague wording of the first phase
- Lukas: at leat people are posing the right questions
- Nicole: Phase II is kicking off.
- Strategy is supposed to be also a change process for the movement. We need clarity to achieve understanding in the movement.
- We need to sort out roles, resources and the responsibilities of key players in the movement.
- Different groups may need to contextualize the strategic plan based on their needs/specific context; need to encourage experimentation on local level.
- Tactical approach to community oriented processes and development; many technical issues were raised in strategic discussion by community members.
As Christophe said, everything is now back on the table, even stuff like "what is WMF for"; be bold and discuss everything.
- Nicole: Strategic process is still ongoing, presents a roadmap for 2018-20. An important concept - working groups (thematic). These will produce recommendations. Important issue to be solved: what is the legitimacy of these recommendations (WMF board of trustees needs to sort this out. Christophe says they don't know yet).
- Josie: this means that there needs to be proper and sufficient resources available
- Nicole introduces the WMCON strategy track. The result will be a portfolio of "input documents".
- Christophe explains why WMDE is involved in the strategy process. Rather, they were looking for the expert knowledge of Nicole and also WMF did not want to fully "own" the process.
- Frans: It would be nice if chairpersons are directly addressed (eg by e-mail) to obtain input from them.
- Nicole will send out a "work description" (for the working groups).
- Frans explains that we as chair people can recommend experts to the various working groups.
- Others: Yep, so that our voice is heard.
4. Development of the Wikimedia organizations
- Tim prepared a document on this on Meta in light of growth in number of Wikimedia affiliates: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Development_of_organisations_of_the_Wikiverse_%E2%80%93_what_do_we_need_to_evolve%3F
- Things we need:
- Formality, organizational checks - process for recognition, de-recognition - people nod
- Typology of organizations - maybe a body which would strive to understand the network of organizations
- Support for new organizations (mentoring) - Philip reminds that we need support¨infrastructure so that the work is not solely on grant commissions etc (sAPG team), also for established affiliates (especially peer to peer support).
- Support for Conflict management (whistle blowers)
5. Funds dissemination
- Open paper by Mykola and Michal on Meta https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Development_of_organisations_of_the_Wikiverse_%E2%80%93_how_should_we_disseminate_the_funds%3F
- Need for more non-financial support provided to grantees
- Need for more resources to the grant making teams themselves
Itzik: Shouldn't the requirement from us be like: - Is the process too long - Is the wrong decisions made - Is the consulting good
Lukas: community voice in funds dissimenation is important and should somehow be addressed
Christophe: Is this the right discussion? What is the goal what is the best practice of funding the chapters' activities
The document will require some more work, and then sent out again.
Vojtěch: Thech Wikimedia is working on documentation regarding the roles and responsibilities of an ED. He used documents from WMNL WMUK and WMDE to make a document that is suitable for smaller chapters. and is DOcument weill be pl;ac edd on the boafr dsupport page. Vojtech will send a note when the document is ready