Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Categories/Allow multiple entries within each category
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Sometimes, multiple entries within a category would be useful. For instance, on the French wiktionary there is a listing of French verbs that includes both the infinitive form (e.g. aimer) and a pronominal form (s’aimer). But which sort key should be given to the pronominal form? Equally valid arguments apply for a « aimer s » key and a « saimer » key. Ideally, the entry would appear twice in the category, under those two keys. There are other examples, such as proper nouns beginning with a definite article (e.g. Le Mans should be categorised under « Mans Le » and « Le Mans »).
- Who would benefit: Wiktionaries, other wiki projects.
- Proposed solution: Possibly add to the wiki software a magic word that can be used to specify a second (third, fourth, etc.) entry in a category’s index. Other wikicode approaches may be possible.
- More comments: This could be merged with the proposal for Context-dependent sort keys, depending on the technical solution chosen.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Urhixidur (talk) 15:46, 25 November 2020 (UTC)
- Similar to « Mans Le » and « Le Mans »: Multiple entries will also benefit an international audience to find persons with foreign surnames in the English Wikipedia.
- Support Noé (talk) 19:27, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Urhixidur (talk) 16:06, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support JPxG (talk) 05:46, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 18:34, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Arielllaura (talk) 21:00, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support --Encycloon (talk) 15:08, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Excellent proposal that makes it even more flexible in the search for articles in a category. WikiFer msg 19:00, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support --Kusurija (talk) 19:12, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Tuvalkin (talk) 21:21, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Fixer88 (talk) 09:07, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support FocalPoint (talk) 16:14, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Ziad Rashad (talk) 18:26, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose Having the same thing show up multiple times in the same category would be a confusing trainwreck, for readers, for editors, and for tools. If you need an additional entry, sorted differently, use a categorized and category-sorted redirect (e.g., with a parenthetical disambiguator). — SMcCandlish ☺ ☏ ¢ >ʌⱷ҅ᴥⱷʌ< 05:12, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support useful for items that can naturally fit into several categories BradChim (talk) 14:47, 20 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose per SMcCandlish — Baidax 💬 17:56, 21 December 2020 (UTC)