Grants:IdeaLab/Wiki Loves the Disabled
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
I am yet to meet a disable person who contributes to Wikipedia. Since I joined the movement, all training sessions in my country has been full of participants who are not disabled in any way. But I believe Wikipedia is open for contributions from every individual regardless of they been disabled or not.If anybody can edit and use Wikipedia, then we as Wikimedians have to find ways to reach out to the disabled and teach them to edit and use Wikipedia.
What is your solution?
An annual event or competition where Wikimedians can contribute more content on notable disabled people. Form partnerships with organisations that deal with the disabled and train them to edit and use Wikipedia, and they will in turn train their people since they are very good relating to them.
Who will you be doing outreach with?
Girls Education Initiative of Ghana
- Involve and get at least 10% of these disabled people to contribute content on Wikipedia.
- Increase more content on notable disabled people
About the idea creator
I am an Information Technology Student who is enthused about open source tools and the open movement
- This is a good idea to recruit disabled people into wikimedia projects. Shriheeran (talk) 10:04, 3 February 2017 (UTC)
- it is a good policy to have disabled people work in wikipedia its just a matter of following WP:NDP which is below
The Wikimedia Foundation prohibits discrimination against current or prospective users and employees on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristics. The Wikimedia Foundation commits to the principle of equal opportunity, especially in all aspects of employee relations, including employment, salary administration, employee development, promotion, and transfer. Jonnymoon96 (talk) 23:06, 6 February 2017 (UTC)
- Impressive idea but would require a lot of ground work on individual basis. Indrajitdas has an idea on similar lines and you could seek his participation. DiptanshuTalk 17:38, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
- Completely agree. Go Ursula ! Anthere (talk)
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschillingwikimedia.org for help!