Grants:PEG/NSultan/Bengali Wikipedia conference & 12 years celebration
- 1 Basic Information
- 2 Community context
- 3 Goal
- 4 Plan
- 5 Resources and risks
- 6 Budget
- 7 Discussion
- Currency requested
- Bangladeshi Taka
- Amount requested in currency requested
- 2032243 BDT
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- BDT 78.40 per US dollar (quoted from https://www.bb.org.bd/econdata/exchangerate.php July 3, 2016)
- 1st Project Lead
- 2nd Project Lead
Initially our planning was to apply for the fund as an organization (Wikimedia Bangladesh). But we have decided to apply as Bangladeshi Wikimedia Community for the following reason:
Withdrawal of money as a non-profit organization in Bangladesh involves some process as per the country's central bank (Bangladesh Bank) regulations. Furthermore, obtaining permissions for withdrawal money for WMBD account (sent from abroad) have not been done yet. We are currently exploring what the whole process involves and then soon we will be starting to complete the requirements, which we don't know yet how long it would take. We are currently in touch with WMF regarding coming up with a suitable solution of this situation. But according to our plan, the events to be organized, for marking the 12th anniversary of Bengali Wikipedia are nearing, therefore we opted to request the grant as Bangladeshi Wikimedia community as per a discussion with Kacie Harold during Wikimania 2016.
Bangla Wikipedia has stepped into its 12th year and has gradually become the largest Bangla website on the internet with about 42000 articles. Through a series of activities around seven divisional cities of Bangladesh, on the occasion of 12th anniversary of Bangla Wikipedia, this will be a massive outreach program along with edit-a-thons and workshops in an attempt to increase contributors.
- Community Meet-up: Historically we arrange both indoor and outdoor meet-ups. Meet-up will help the community to keep up-to-date as the event develops as well as helping to build the strong community. Outdoor meet-ups can create mass awareness among general public about Wikipedia and it's projects.
- Photowalks: Photowalks will be held in 5 different places of Bangladesh with a list of articles needing photographs. In the photowalks, participants and volunteers of Wikimedia Bangladesh will also cover a specific area of city by taking photographs of historic and culturally significant buildings, archaeological sites and other important things of the area. The photographs will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons in order to illustrate and improve articles. Expected participants: 50, Expected photographs: 500
- Please see similar activities in the past: Wikimedia photowalks in Bangladesh
- Article contests: Wikipedians will translate articles into Bengali from English Wikipedia's specific article list. The aim of this contest is to improve quality of articles in Bengali Wikipedia. Expected participants: 500, Expected articles: 500
- Please see similar activities in the past: Wikipedia’s 15th birthday inspires Bangla translators
- Workshop/education program: 5 workshops will be held before and after the main conference. Two of them will be aiming to create awareness about Wikipedia Zero misuse (see, Bangladesh Facebook Case and phab:T129845). Expected participants: 250
- Please see similar activities in the past: Wikipedia awareness programs drive Bangla Wikipedia usage, Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration Bangladesh/Divisional Workshop reports, Wikipedia Workshops by Wikimedia Bangladesh
- Press conference: There will be a press conference before the main conference to inform the newsmen about the event.
- Please see similar activities in the past: Press Conferences by Wikimedia Bangladesh News: An example: Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration Bangladesh/Programs/News coverage
- Main conference: At the end of all programs, a two day conference will be held at Rajshahi College in Rajshahi division in Bangladesh. This is the national WikiConference of Bangladesh. A number of sessions and hackathon will be held at the conference to discuss different issues related to Bangla Wikipedia and other Bangla Wikimedia projects. Some of the sessions will focus on enhancing skill of the Wikipedians/Wikimedians, who are working online or offline. The conference will be attended by prominent academia and media personalities. There will also be a Wikimedia SAARC collaborations. Expected participants: 300
- Please see similar activities in the past: Wikipedia 15/Events/Bangladesh, Bengali Wikipedia 10th Anniversary Celebration Bangladesh, Bangla Wikipedia Unconference 2012
- The 12th anniversary program will mainly impact Bangla Wikipedia. Apart from Bangla Wikipedia, the program will also impact other Bangla language Wikimedia projects: Bangla Wiktionry, Bangla Wikisource, Bangla Wikibooks and also the Bangla related contents at Wikimedia Commons.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Increase reach: The series of programs will outreach Bangla Wikipedia and other Bangla Wikimedia projects to a great extent, as the programs will be held across cities of Bangladesh. The programs will support increased reach and participation through engaging a broad and diverse audience. Bangla Wikimedia projects will be publicized through mainstream media, social media and direct outreach.
- Increase participation: Over the course of two months, the programs will be attended by school and university students, academia, journalists, professionals, well-wishers and general public. This will allow a broader range of public to associate with the local Wikimedia community and contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- Increase quality: The photography contest and photowalks will produce quality photos from across Bangladesh, that will be used to illustrate and improve articles in Wikipedia. Workshops and edit-a-thons in universities will enlighten students to contribute to Wikipedia and create articles.
- Organizational maturity and effectiveness: The organization and hosting the of 12th anniversary celebration programs will give an opportunity to the Bangladeshi Wikimedians for organizational development and collaboration with other chapters. The experiences from these programs will help them in the future to hold better events and programs. This will also result in the increase of local Wikimedia community and volunteers.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risks
- Nahid Sultan
- Tanweer Morshed
- Ali Haidar Khan
- Munir Hasan
- Tanvir Rahman
- Shabab Mustafa
- Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive)
- Mayeenul Islam
- Nasir Khan
- Moheen Reeyad
- Masum Al Hasan
- R K Hannan (Sufe)
- Rafaell Russell
- Ashiq Shawon
- Nahid Hossain
- Md. Musfiqur Rahman
- Motiur Rahman Oni
Evidence of past success in executing similar projects
- Grants:PEG/TMorshed/Bangla Wikipedia 10th anniversary/Report
- Bangladesh celebrates as Bangla Wikipedia turns 10 (WMBLOG)
- Wikipedia awareness programs drive Bangla Wikipedia usage (WMBLOG)
- Grants:PEG/TMorshed/Wikipedia 15 Celebration in Bangladesh
- Wikipedia’s 15th birthday inspires Bangla translators (WMBLOG)
- Wikipedia Contributor Day in partnership with Grameenphone (WMBLOG)
- Wikipedia Zero launching press conference
- See also commons category for Wikimedia Bangladesh events: Category:Wikimedia Bangladesh events
- Activity report 2016
- Activity report 2015
- Activity report 2014
- Activity report 2013
- Activity report 2012
- Activity report 2011
- Activity report 2010
- Lack of time - WMBD executive committee members and the 12th anniversary committee, both consists of people who voluntarily works. Currently WM BD has no full-time or part-time employees. So organizing such a big program by volunteers may cause some problems as not everyone can work full-time.
- Mitigation: We have already officially recruited volunteers for WM BD, so new volunteers could be useful for organizing the events. We have already made program plans with opinions from the new volunteers.
- Low participation in the workshop and contest - There is also a risk that past contributors or workshops attendees will no longer participate in the workshops or the contest will have low number of participants.
- Mitigation: We have planned to reach a larger audience than in past years with announcements in media, thus increasing our chances for new participants. Though last Bengali Wikipedia good article contest was a huge success. Furthermore, the anniversary programs will be officially launched with the press conference, where medias will be briefed about the programs.
- Not being able for partnership - In the past, we have experienced some difficulties in making partnerships with some universities for organizing workshops.
- Mitigation: We have recruited and still recruiting volunteers from different universities across Bangladesh, who will be potentially helpful for making partnerships with their own universities as they can closely approach their university authorities. Also conference venue will be provided by Rajshahi college and they initially confirm it.
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (BDT)||Total (BDT)||Notes|
(Subtotal : 508000 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $6479.6)
|1||Leaflet||500||10||5000||for the workshop participants and conference attendees|
|2||Booklet||500||20||10000||for the workshop participants and conference attendees|
|4||Sticker||1000||3||3000||for workshop participants, conference attendees and photowalk participants|
|5||T-shirts||500||300||150000||for conference attendees, volunteers, photowalk participants|
|6||Mug||100||300||30000||for contest winners+volunteers|
|7||Badge||1000||50||50000||for conference attendees, workshop participants, photowalk participants. There will be three pin badge (bnwiki, commons and WMBD).|
|8||Pads||500||100||50000||for conference attendees+workshop quize winners|
|9||wristband||500||50||25000||for conference attendees+photowalks+workshop|
|11||key-ring||500||50||25000||for conference attendees+photowalks+workshop|
(Subtotal in US dollars : $318.9)
|1||Refreshments||50||200||10000||for the journalists, guests|
|Meet-up and community adda (10)|
(Subtotal :20000 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $255.1)
(5 photowalks/on an average 10 participants per photowalks)
(Subtotal :85000 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $1084.2)
|1||Food cost for photowalk participants||50||1000||50000||1000 for each participants in each photo-walk|
|2||Local transportation cost||5||6000 (per photowalk)||30000|
|Article contests (2)|
(Subtotal :80000 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $1020.5)
|1||Award for winners||100||600||60000||certificate, flash-drive|
|Education program/workshop (5 workshops and 50 participants per event)|
(Subtotal :40000 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $510.3)
|3||Transportation for volunteers||10||1000||10000|
|Scholarships for Wikipedians (50 wikipedians from BD (outside Rajshahi) & 15 from SAARC nations)|
(Subtotal :914243 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $11661.3)
|1||Transportation cost||50||2000 (including return)||100000||For Bangladeshi Wikipedians|
|2||Transportation cost||15||(including return)||625743||SAARC nations|
|3||Food cost (3 meals per person)||65||900 per person||58500||Both Bangladeshi & SAARC nations|
|4||Accommodation (for 3 nights)||65||2000 for each person||130000||Both Bangladeshi & SAARC nations|
(Subtotal :360000 BDT)
(Subtotal in US dollars : $4591.84)
|1||Gifts for guests||20000|
|7||volunteers refreshment+other costs||20000|
- Total cost of project
- 2032243 BDT (in US dollars : $25921.467)
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Including 10% incidental cost: 2237105 BDT (in US dollars : $28513.61)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.