Grants:PEG/UG KO/WikiConference Seoul 2015
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
- We want to share a recent legal issue which happened in South Korea regarding Creative Commons license
- We want to share a way of using contents of Wikimedia projects in education.
- We want to share a recent technical issue regarding Wikidata.
Since a conference to celebrate 10th anniversary of Korean Wikipedia on October 13, 2012, a conference for Korean Wikipedia have not been held. Wikimedians of Korea User Group (UG KO) decided to host a conference this year to share information and experiences related to Wikimedia projects with Wikimedia project users and people who are not the project users but interested in the projects.
We will focus on new subjects which have not dealt with in conferences held by Korean Wikimedia community before. First of all, the legal presentation will analyze a legal case which is related to Creative Commons License and happened in South Korea, and this will help Wikimedia project users understand meaning of CCL deeply. Second, in the educational presentation, a speaker will explain a way to write a textbook using contents in Korean Wikipedia, and this will suggest an other opportunity for the Wikimedia contents to reach out non-Wikimedia users. Third, the technical presentation will introduce Wikidata. Because the Wikidata is one of the newest projects and very technical, many people including Wikimedia users have a difficulty understanding the project. The presentation will help the attendees to understand a concept of the project. Final presentation will be about the result of FANTasia Edit-a-thon which will be held on. This edit-a-thon event is the first one for women in South Korea.
We also will hold a small group talk for only women editors. We will share their experience on Wikimedia projects, and think of a way to resolve the gender gap in Wikimedia projects together.
|Opening Ceremony||10 min.|
|Presentation 1: Legal||Analyzing a Legal Case in a Korean Wiki-site, Focisng on CCL||User:Mineralsab||30 min.|
|Presentation 2: Educational||Developing a Textbook Using Wikimedia Contents||User:Neoalpha||30 min.|
|Presentation 3: Edit-a-thon||Success of FANTsia Edit-a-thon under the Subject of Asian Women and Art||20 min.|
|Group Talk||Sharing Experiences as a Woman Editor||30 min.|
|Presentation 4: Technical||State of Wikidata||User:Jmkim dot com||40 min.|
|Activity||Experiencing Wikidata||30 min.|
|Closing Ceremony & Free Talk||1 hour|
We will hold the conference in Seoul, South Korea, so most of participants will be Korean speakers.
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing participation
- By dealing with a recent legal case which happened in South Korea related with Creative Commons License, we can improve understanding of CCL of Wikimedia project users.
- By sharing and experience of an edit-a-thon which we will hold on September 9, we can plan better edit-a-thons for new editors.
- Increasing reach
- By introducing a project to write a textbook using contents of Korean Wikipedia, we can give more chance for students to read Wikipedia contents.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- About 100 participants (We will invite students who will attend our other event FANTasia Edit-a-thon)
- About 10 women editors
- 4 presentations to help participants understand issues related to Wikimedia projects
- 1 group talk for women editors to share their experiences
Resources and risks
- Team members
- Dr. Manjai Lee
- User:Mineralsab (Manager)
- A previous similar project
- We held a ceremony to celebrate 10th anniversary of Korean Wikimedia on October 13, 2012 in Seoul, when we were a preparatory committee. We distributed press materials and many newspapers reported about the event. About 100 people including Wikimedia users and non-Wikimedia users participated in the event, and we estimated the event was successful.
A presentation by User:Ryuch
- Too few participation
- We will distribute press materials to news agencies to promote the event, and we ask administrators of Korean Wikipedia to display a massage for the event on the site notice or announce notice. We will visit some universities in Seoul and invite students. If it snows or rains on the day, the number of attendees would decrease.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost KRW||Total cost USD||Notes|
|1||Venue rent||A hall||2 hours||2.5|
|2||Food and beverages||Snacks||Per person||Quote from Korea Buffet to provide snacks at the event.|
|3||Food and beverages||Snacks||per person||30||13,200||396,000||334||This will be paid from our membership fee. Over 160 people applied to join in the event. We need more food and beverages.|
|4||Food and beverages||Beverages||1 package||1||100,000||100,000||84.30||This will be paid from our membership fee.|
|5||Publishing a banner||A standing banner||1 print||1||33,000||33,000||28||Quote from Dain Gihoek (Publishing) to print a banner for the event.|
|6||Publishing posters||A2 size color posters||1 print||4||15,000||60,000||50||Quote from Kinko's Korea to print posters for the event.|
|7||Souvenirs||T-shirts Wikipedia-logo printed||1 piece||100||4,433||443,300 + 44,330(VAT)
|411||Quote from Team Play Mall to print posters for the event. We will paid our membership fee for these.|
Note: To gather more participants, we need to hold the event in Gangnam-gu which has very convenient transportaions.
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
1,522,000 KRW (About 1,110.64 USD)
1,557,750 (about 1,310 USD)
Additional sources of revenue
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
We will pay our membership fee for the special T-shirts for attendees. (5)
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.