Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Alliances Fund/Rapid Fund/Wikidata Trainings on LGBT in Nigeria (ID: 21896002)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wiki For Human Rights Nigeria, Wikimedia LGBT+ Usergroup
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikidata Trainings on LGBT in Nigeria
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
After about a year of training queer participants on how to contribute to Wikipedia. So this project is mainly centered on training the Nigeria LGBT community at Lagos, Edo and Abuja on the basis of contributing contents to Wikidata; unlike Wikipedia, Wikidata offers a more better dynamism of inclusion so more contents of the Nigeria LGBT can be better represented. This edit a thon will be in is aimed at training and recruiting LGBT right persons in Nigeria into contributing to WIkidata and also improving Wikiata contents on LGBT topics in Nigeria in partnership with LGBT centered organization in Nigeria.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
The approach is to partner with LGBTQ organizations in Nigeria and they will provide the queer participants and safe venue for the training. This approach has worked with over 5 LGBTQ trainings organized across Nigeria. The training will be in 3 major cities in Nigeria.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
Introducing the concept of Wikidata and also why they should contribute to bridge LGBTQ Nigeria content gap. Also safe methods on how to make contributions.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
WikiForHumanRights, Other (please specify)
- Wiki Loves Pride
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Kaizenify, who is an experienced editor and trainer. We have team members from Wiki For Human Rights Nigeria. Support from the WIkimedia LGBT+ Usergroup.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Sexual Orientation, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
The project will further increase the visibility of LGBTQ topics about Nigeria on the Wikimedia project and hence cause better visibility for gender and sexual topics o the Wikimedia projects.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Advocacy, Human Rights, Diversity
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Our target participants are queer Nigerians. And we will be reaching them through our partnership with Bisi Alimi Foundation as they will be our host.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
By partnering with a strong LGBTQ organization, they will be providing the right safe space for participants.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have announced this project in the discussion page of the Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- This project is unique and being coordinated by Wiki For Human Rights Nigeria hence no duplication with other projects.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
Bisi Alimi Foundation: they are the foremost LGBTQ organization in Nigeria and hence will be providing us with safe space and queer participants.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
How convenient is it for Nigeria LGBT contents to be added to Wikidata compare to Wikipedia? Do participants feel more relax and excited contributing to Wikidata rather than Wikipedia? Will Wikidata help increase the visibility of Nigeria LGBTQ contents further? What more approaches can be use to train queer persons in Nigeria?
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Increased visibility||Has Wikimedia projects further increased the visibility of Nigeria queers||100|
|Queer participants||Increasing the inclusion of more queer participants||200|
|Partnership||Having more LGBT organization partnerships||10|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||We expect about 50 total participants||150|
|Number of editors||Queer editors that will be readily available to be trained and then contribute||130|
|Number of organizers||Atleast 3 number of organizers||3|
|Wikidata||Number of Wikidata Items to be created or improved||800|
|Wikimedia Commons||Images will also be uploaded||150|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
I will use the outreach dashboard to measure contributions for the edit a thon and contest afterwards
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).