This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
Kushared Bikarhêner Serchia Aram ئاراس نوری
Kurdish Wikimedians User Group
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Yes, I am member of Kurdish Wikimedians User Group
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Funds for Annual Projects and Activities of Kurdish Wikimedians User Group
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
Kurdish Wikimedians User Group represent Kurdish people and Kurdish language across Wikimedia projects. Currently, majority of our members located in Iraq, Turkey and Iran. We are expecting to cover Kurds in Syria as well.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
As small community we have serval issue but not limited to; very less number of participants/editors, lack of awareness about Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects in Kurdish area, having many un-sourced and sub articles in Kurdish Wikipedias (ckb and ku). Less availability of Kurdish media contents on Wikimedia Commons.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
First for Kurdish media contents as first approach we make an agreement with Zheen Center (https://zheen.org/) which is a center for achieving Kurdish history contents. They agree to share their achieve on Wikimedia Commons with Creative Commons License. However, we need to hire someone as Wikimedian in residence to upload massive number of contents which Zheen Center will provide.
Second approach, we will make serval contents for writing articles, adding reference, expanding current articles and photography contest.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
For adding, expanding and referencing articles we are planning to do numbers of physical and online activities. We had serval physical activities at high schools and universities, however we feel that students face lack of motivation to continue their contribution after the workshops. Therefore, having completion might help such a case to boost their performance during learning days.
For Glam project, we will monitor weekly and monthly uploads by Zheen Center.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Kushared / Head of Kurdish Wikimedians User Group Bikarhêner / Head of Kurdish Wikimedians User Group Serchia / Member Aram / Member ئاراس نوری / Member will supervise GLAM project Hamaredha / Member Sarbast Burhan / volunteer Zheen Center / Coordination
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Geography, Language, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Our works will bring awareness and more diversity to Wikimedia projects as we plan to bring more Kurdish people to contribute. In addition, uploading massive number of medias related to Kurdish culture and history which those media don't even exist over the internet.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Culture, heritage or GLAM
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
We are targeted students from high schools and university in Kurdish community. In addition, we will do serval online campaign to attract people from social networks and contribute to Wikimedia projects. By giving awards such as gift cards, books, smart watches and etc, we believe more people will join to participate.
Our pervious works with students; https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kurdish_Wikimedians_User_Group/Contributing_Wikipedia_in_Schools/2021-2022 https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:First_Online_Workshop_By_Kurdish_Wikimedians_User_Group.webm
To retain participants we will create an online community group for our user group on T
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
We will follow UCOC instructions.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
First, in October we had an online meeting on Google Meeting with our user group members. from there we had discussed initial ideas for activities and the GLAM project with Zheen Center. We will discuss in-detail projects and planning of activities in village pump after approval of proposal. We choose this way since there are not that many people to put their inputs in Kurdish wikis.
Please find October meeting; https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kurdish_Wikimedians_User_Group/report/2022#Meetings
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- I submit this proposal on behalf our user group. There is no other or individual proposal with or before this application.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
For the GLAM project, we are collaborate with Zheen Center, they will provide their achieved media and they will cooperate with all of the project. Zheen Center will not provide financial funds.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
None of the above
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
It is the first time that we are applying for funds, in case it is approved; we hope to learn how financial support can help our small community to improve and expand. In addition, managing physical and online activities will increase collaboration between Kurdish community members which is missing for years.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Upload to commons||We are targeted to upload at least 20000 media file related to Kurdish topics by Zheen Center||20000|
|Adding Refs to articles||As we have 2500 articles in category:All articles lacking sources; we are targeting to solve minimum 500 of these articles by providing references.||500|
|new articles||We are targeting to add 500 articles through edit-a-thons||500|
|New users||We are targeting to teach 35 new users to write their first articles + keep and engage them to remain as editor||35|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||40|
|Number of editors||12|
|Number of organizers||4|
|Wikimedia Commons||We are targeting to upload 20,000 media to Wikimedia Commons.||20000|
|Wikipedia||We are planning to write new 500 articles and add refs to 500 existing articles which doesn't have any reference.||500|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
We will use :https://hashtags.wmcloud.org/ In some cases. We are looking for other available stats tool on Wikimedia as well such as xtools.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).