Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Wikipedia Workshop for Gender Equality in Kano. (ID: 22141364)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Hausa Wikimedians User Group, Wikimedia User Group Nigeria, Let's Connect Hausa Community and Igbo Wikimedians User Group.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikipedia Workshop for Gender Equality in Kano.
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Kano is among the location where the most of the Hausa Wikipedia editors are belong but most of these editors are male while the Wikipedia is a project which where the male and female have a full right to contribute with their ideas by sharing and acquiring the different knowledge. Therefore, also the Hausa Wikipedia has been dominated by the following challenges or problems.
- Male domination: Hausa Wikipedia has been dominated by male editors and male perspectives, leading to significant gaps in coverage of topics related to women and gender issues.
- Inaccuracy:Gender bias also lead to inaccuracies on Hausa Wikipedia. For example, the articles which is written from a male perspective, it may not accurately reflect the experiences of women in that field of Wikipedia.
- Biases in content: The gender gap on Hausa Wikipedia means that articles about women and women's issues are often underrepresented or misrepresented. This can lead to biases in the content, with male perspectives and experiences being overrepresented.
- Lack of diversity: The gender gap on Hausa Wikipedia also means that there is a lack of diversity in the editors and contributors to the project. This can result in a limited range of perspectives and experiences being represented, which can further perpetuate biases in the content.
- Incomplete coverage: The gender gap on Hausa Wikipedia also lead to incomplete coverage of important topics related to women and gender equality, which can perpetuate stereotypes and limit access to accurate information.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
- Addressing systemic biases: Addressing the systemic biases that lead to the gender gap on Wikipedia is a key step in solving the problem. This includes increasing the representation of women and other underrepresented groups, and addressing cultural biases that discourage women from participating in Wikipedia and Wikipedia sister projects.
- Encouraging diversity in editors and contributors: Encouraging more women and underrepresented groups to become editors and contributors to Wikipedia can help to diversify the perspectives and experiences represented on the project.
- Creating targeted initiatives: Creating targeted initiatives to increase the representation of women and underrepresented groups on Wikipedia can help to address the gender gap. Such initiatives may include workshops, edit-a-thons, and mentorship programs.
- Improving content quality: Improving the quality of content related to women and gender equality on Wikipedia can help to reduce biases and increase accuracy. This may involve providing training and resources to editors and contributors, as well as developing guidelines for creating and editing content related to these topics.
- Increasing awareness: Increasing awareness of the gender gap on Wikipedia and the importance of gender equality in online spaces can help to mobilize action and support for addressing the problem. This may involve developing campaigns and educational resources to raise awareness among the general public, as well as within the technology and science-related fields.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The following are the activities which will be delivered or developed as part of these approaches or strategies. Before the time of commencement, we will provide banners that will be hang in order to be a sign during the event and we will provide the tags and flyers which will be distributed to the participants during the workshop event.
The event will be delivered for two days, on first day we will discuss on the following:
- Start with the basics: Before diving into the details of the workshop, we will explain what Wikipedia is and how it works. Also we are going to discuss on the importance of Wikipedia as a source of information and the role it plays in shaping public knowledge.
- We will explain the concept of Gender Equality: Next, define what Gender Equality is and why it's important. We will provide some examples of gender inequality in various fields and explain how it affects both men and women.
- Introduce the Wikipedia workshop: After providing some context, we will introduce the Wikipedia workshop and explain how it relates to Gender Equality. We are going to discuss the importance of having accurate and diverse information on Wikipedia and how the workshop can help achieve this goal.
On the second day we are going to deliver the program on the following concept:
- Provide practical tips and guidelines: In order to help our participants to get started with the workshop, we will provide some practical tips and guidelines on how to create an account for the participants, how are they going to edit Wikipedia articles, how to navigate the Wikipedia interface, and how to create new articles and improve the less improved one.
- Encourage participation: Finally, we will encourage our participants to participate in the workshop and to contribute to Wikipedia articles related to Gender Equality. We will provide some examples of articles that need improvement or expansion and explain how their contributions can make a difference.
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Yes, I have:
- A Sulaiman Z I am the project organizer, I will lead the project with help of these facilitators.
- Gwanki is an experience Wikimedian editor he has organized many Wikimedian Projects in Northern Nigeria. He's an administrator at Hausa Wikipedia and he is a member at Nigerian Wikimedian User Group and also member grant commitee Nigerian Wikimedians User Group. Also he is among the secondary contact of Hausa Wikimedians User Group.
- Muhammad Idriss Criteria He is also an experienced Wikimedian editor, more especially on Hausa Wikipedia and other Wikipedia sisters projects, he facilitated several projects before and he is a member at the Hausa Wikimedians User Group and Nigerian Wikimedian User Group.
- Yusuf Sa'adu : Also he is among the experienced Wikimedian editor who will assist me into the implementing this project.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Language, Socioeconomic Status, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
A Wikipedia workshop for Gender Equality is an event where participants come together to learn how to edit and improve Wikipedia articles related to topics related to gender equality. The workshop is usually led by experienced Wikipedia editors who provide guidance and support to the participants. The aim of the workshop is to increase the representation of women and gender non-binary individuals on Wikipedia, as well as to improve the quality of articles related to gender equality issues.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Open Technology
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Gender Identity, Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language, Socioeconomic status
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The participants of a Wikipedia workshop for Gender Equality event in Kano, Nigeria, can include anyone who is interested in improving the representation of women and gender-related topics on Wikipedia, particularly within the context of Kano and the surrounding region. This can include women and men of eighteen and above ages, as well as members of gender and women's rights groups, educators, scholars, and anyone else who wants to help address the gender gap on Wikipedia. The goal of the workshop would be to provide participants with training on how to create and edit Wikipedia articles, with a focus on improving the coverage of women and gender-related topics from Kano and the surrounding region, as well as to raise awareness about the importance of diversity and inclusion in the online world. Engaging participants in advance of the Wikipedia workshop for Gender Equality in Kano is important for creating a successful and inclusive event. Here are some ways to engage participants before and during the workshop:
- Send out invitations: Send out invitations to potential participants via email, social media, or other channels. We will assure that the invitation clearly explains the purpose of the workshop, what participants can expect to learn, and the benefits of attending.
- Build a community: Create a community of participants before the event through social media platforms or other online forums. Encourage participants to introduce themselves and share their thoughts on the topic.
- Use interactive methods: Engage participants during the workshop by using interactive methods such as group discussions and hands-on activities.
- Follow up: Follow up with participants after the event to thank them for their participation and to solicit feedback on how the event could be improved in the future. This can also help to build a long-term relationship with participants and to keep them engaged in future events.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
Here are some ways:
- Provide a safe space: Create a safe space for participants to share their ideas and experiences without fear of judgment or harassment. This can be achieved by setting ground rules for discussion and enforcing them.
- Provide resources: Provide resources to support participants who may need additional assistance, such as laptops or accessibility accommodations. This can help to remove barriers to participation and ensure that everyone can fully engage in the workshop.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have let the Wikimedian communities to know about the planned activities and proposal through the following ways:
- Wikimedia Meta-page: Wikimedia Meta-page is a wiki-based platform that is used to coordinate and document the activities of the Wikimedia movement. It is a central hub for planning and organizing movement-wide initiatives, and it is regularly updated with information about upcoming activities and proposals.
- Wikimedia social media: The Wikimedia Foundation maintains social media accounts on platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, which are used to share updates and news about the Wikimedia movement.
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Ensure Equity in Decision-making
Learning, Sharing, and Evaluation
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
At the end of the workshop, participants should have gained the following:
- Understanding of gender equality: Participants should have a better understanding of what gender equality means and why it is important for achieving a fair and just society.
- Knowledge of Wikipedia: Participants should have learned about how Wikipedia works, how to create an account, how to edit Wikipedia articles, and how to contribute to the encyclopedia's content.
- Awareness of gender bias in Wikipedia: Participants should have become aware of the gender bias that exists in Wikipedia's content and how they can contribute to reducing it by adding more content about women and gender equality issues.
- Confidence in contributing to Wikipedia: Participants should have gained the confidence to contribute to Wikipedia on their own, either individually or in groups, and to continue editing articles related to gender equality even after the workshop is over.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Creating Workshop||We will create the two days workshop events in order to promote the objectives of the Wikimedian projects.||N/A|
|Train an existing editors and recruit new ones||We will train the existing editors and recruit new ones in order to train them on how to create the new articles and improve the less improved ones for building the Wikimedian community.||N/A|
|Creating and improving articles||We will create the new articles and improve an existing one for the building the Wikipedia contents.||N/A|
|Creating a WhatsApp group and Facebook page||We will create a WhatsApp group and Facebook page after the events in order to add the participants who have an interest in building the Wikipedia by acquiring and sharing the knowledge.||N/A|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Our Target participants are anyone who is interested in improving the representation of women and gender-related topics on Wikipedia, particularly within the context of Kano and the surrounding region.||50|
|Number of editors||The target number of Wikimedian projects editors.||20|
|Number of organizers||I am the project's organizer and three facilitators.||4|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
I will use the WMF outreach dashboard to measure the selected metric.
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and Feedback
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).