Grants:Project/Rapid/Global Open Initiative/Parliament of Ghana challenge/Sixth Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content on Wikidata
- Recruit new editors on Wikipedia
- Engage existing editors
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing and new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The content of the contest will be focused on Wikidata and Wikipedia. There are missing entries for hundreds of past members of the Ghanaian legislature from the Sixth Parliament of the Fourth Republic on Wikipedia (all of whom are notable by Wikipedia standards). There is currently no comprehensive knowledge base about Ghanaian legislators that can be freely accessed, and we believe that Wikidata has the potential to play a central role in changing this. That is why this challenge is important not only to the local Wikimedia community in Ghana, but also to anyone anywhere who may be in need of structured data to work with.
- An editathon session shall be held on
August 31 2019January 25, 2020 to provide hands-on Wikipedia and Wikidata training.
- 30 full days from
September 1January 26 to 30February 24 shall be allowed for the period of the competition. (edits made at the editathon from August 31January 25 shall be considered valid entries).
- Judges will use one week to clean up Wikipedia and Wikidata entries as well as to tabulate scores. Winners shall be announced and prizes awarded in the first week of March 2020
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Global Open Initiative social media spaces
- Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup mailing list
- Wikimedians of Africa mailing list
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Case 1: On one hand, the contest will award the participants with the highest number of edits made to the subject-related contest pages. This can easily be determined using metrics from the Outreach Dashboard tool. This criteria will not judge quality or relevance of edits made.
- Case 2: On the other hand, participants will be judged on the quality of edits, and the relevance of their edits to the competition. That means, judges will have to manually examine the number of MP's Wikipedia pages they have destubbed, as well as the relevant statements they have added to the MP's Wikidata item. Inspired by the the 2017 The Women in Red World Contest, the competition will recycle a system that was initially designed to be used for the Parliament of Ghana/Seventh Parliament of the Fourth Republic of Ghana editathon series.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Case 1 criterion: Rank of participants with highest edit count.
- Case 2 criterion:
- The project will organise one editathon to lunch the contest. This editathon will:
- Bring awareness to the contest and generally to Wikidata and Wikipedia
- Serve as an opportunity to better explain the rules and objectives of the contest
- Provide in-person training for new editors who may be interested to join the contest
- Increase skills for existing editors who may already be familiar to Wikipedia and Wikidata
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: N/A
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: N/A
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: N/A
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 30
- Number of workshops: 1
- Number of articles created or improved
- All 275 members of the Seventh Parliament of Ghana have Wikidata items
- All 275 members of the Seventh Parliament of Ghana have Wikipedia articles
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
The project will select four judges from the Global Open Initiative team.
- The judges will
- Create one-liner Wikipedia stubs of all MP's except where one exists already.
- Arrange the information in a table similar to this so that participant can easily select MP's they prefer to work on.
- Fill in the following cells:
- Link to Wikipedia Article
- Image (if one is available)
- Date of Birth
- Link to Wikidata item
- Update the leaderboard to determine
- Rank of participants with highest edit count
- Destubbed the most number of Wikipedia article
- Added relevant statement qualifiers to the most number of Wikidata entries
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Table 1 - Editathon
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Venue space||Madina Institute of Science and Technology||600||1||600|
|Projector||We'll rent a projector for single use||150||1||150|
|Internet routers||Surline internet router||499||1||499|
|Internet Data||100GB data expected to be used for the event||399||1||399|
|Refreshment (Light Breakfast + Lunch)||For 36 total participants including the 6 facilitators||2160||1||2160|
|Water||For 36 total participants including the 6 facilitators||108||1||108|
|T-Shirts||6 total customized printed T-Shirts for facilitators||40||6||240|
|Stickers||Wikidata', 'Wikipedia' and 'Parliamenta of Ghana Editathon challenge' stickers to go round for all||2.5||50||125|
|Printing||Event posters (color), program outline, tutorial, etc||2||60||120|
|Transportation for projector||To-and-fro transportation for to rent projector||60||1||60|
|Transportation for refreshments||To-and-fro transportation for food and water||60||1||60|
|Transportation for refreshments||To-and-fro transportation for other items||60||1||60|
|Transportation for event facilitators||To-and-fro transportation (or fuel allowance) for event facilitators||100||6||600|
- Table 2 - Prizes
The prices listed in this table are the equivalent in Shoprite gift cards we shall award. The competition will not award winners any physical cash.
|Wikipedia||Highest edit count||First||300|
|Destubbed Wikipedia articles||First||600|
|Wikidata||Highest edit count||First||300|
|Added statement Qualifiers per MP:
Educated at (P69)
Academic degree (P512)
Academic major (P812)
Religion (P140), and
|Other; (only applies if there is no female in the Wikipedia winning categories)||Top Female contributor||First||300|
|Other; (only applies if there is no female in the Wikidata winning categories)||Top Female contributor||First||300|
- Table 3 - Organisation
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Social Media Posts||Boost competition on Facebook||5.70718||30||171.2154|
|Internet Data||30GB data expected to be used by each judge||180||4||720|
- Table 4 - Editathon + Prizes + Organisation
|Table 1 - Editathon||5181|
|Table 2 - Prizes||4800|
|Table 3 - Organisation||891.2154|
|Sum (Ghc)||11372.2154||1 USD = 5.70718 Ghc|
|USD||1992.62||https://www1.oanda.com/currency/converter/ (December 27, 2019)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I fully endorsed this project. The first edit-a-thon exceeded my expectations so this is highly achievable. We need to motivate volunteers especially the new ones. Shahadusadik (talk) 21:07, 21 July 2019 (UTC)
- DaSupremo (talk) 22:06, 21 July 2019 (UTC) I fully endorse this project. As a beginner in the editing of Wikipedia articles, I think it will motivate me and other new volunteers.
- To improve and also update vital information about the Ghanaian parliament. 184.108.40.206 23:09, 21 July 2019 (UTC)
- Warmglow (talk) 07:19, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
- Mwintirew (talk) 14:01, 22 July 2019 (UTC) Considering the success of the first edit-a-thon and the fact that there is still work to be done, I fully endorse this project.
- 220.127.116.11 13:54, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
- Sunkanmi12 (talk) 14:12, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
- Roysandytei (talk) 14:43, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
- A lot of work needs to be done and this project is going to get us started towards a greater good.
- Support I am Looking forward to the second edition of this project.Celestinesucess (talk) 16:00, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
- I fully endorse this project
- Prof OJ (talk) 16:07, 22 July 2019 (UTC)
- Great project . I endorse this initiative. TereseB (talk) 22:17, 2 August 2019 (UTC)