Grants:Project/Rapid/John Joy/Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos at Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Improve existing content on Wikipedia
- Equip existing editors with the skill set of image addition on Wikipedia
- Engage existing editors
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Participant from Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan will focus on adding images to Wikipedia articles using existing files on Commons. This is a great way of engaging the members of the community. They will have a hands-on experience of a contest that's focused on Commons, image adding, image file size increase and image tagging/title. it's a way to showcase the diversity of the work of the movement to these newly joined editors who thinks wikimedia is just about editing and writing Wikipedia articles when actually there is always something to fit in for everyone including things as simple as adding existing images to Wikipedia articles. This realization will make them build a home in the movement.it also gives them the opportunity to participate and emerge winners.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
- This has been done by making a notification on the discussion page of Wikimedia Nigeria User group and talk page of johnjoy12, lead of wikimedia fan club, university of ibadan
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them
- We will inform people by sharing information about the contest on the community WhatsApp group and social media platforms.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
The article or section a participant is adding a photo should not have any previous image and the image has to be relevant.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- A tool for identifying articles without photos have developed and we will be sourcing photos from wiki loves Africa, Wiki loves monument,Wiki loves earth and other pictures from wikimedia commons.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project provides an opportunity for the University club to grow and recruit new editors. No offline(in-person) activity will organized.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 30
- Number of articles are improved with photos: 1000
- Number of new editors: 5-10 editors
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- T Cells will lead being the project coordinator, considering his wealth of experience in organizing Wikimedia projects.
- johnjoy12 (Project and Campaign Lead) - I am an experienced Wikipedian, and coordinator of the organizing committee of Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan. I have coordinated a number of events in my community, these events include Art + Feminism 2021, Wiki Love's Africa 2021 among others.
- Prizes (Android phones and certificates) = $350
- Internet support for team members = $250
- Internet support for participants during the event = $350
- Customised shirts for Participants = $150
- Branded hoodies for team members =$100
- Promotions and branding = $300
- Airtime for Communication = $100
- Miscellaneous funds = $100
- I am so glad about this project. It will indeed improve Wikipedia existing articles during this year's WPWP global campaign. James Moore200 (talk) 21:59, 12 June 2021 (UTC)
- Support I am User: T Cells from the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos International Team. We are glad to have your team joining the campaign this year. Please review the organizer's guide and Best practices in organizing WPWP Campaign in your community. We strongly recommend that you keep the local prizes under USD 400. With kind regards. T CellsTalk
10:51, 13 June 2021 (UTC)