Grants:Project/Rapid/Mohan K. Duwal/Wiki Trek
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
- Trek to the remote part of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area of Nepal
- To showcase the Flora and Fauna in the area
- To showcase the Vegetation of Kanchenjunga Conservation Area
- To explore the unexplained cultures of the area
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- It’s a 16 days trek starting from Kathmandu to Kanchanjunga North base camp and south base camp and back to kathmandu. There will be 2 photographers and 2 porters in this trek.
Here is the regular itinerary
|Day 01||Flight from Kathmandu to Bhadrapur overnight at Hotel on Bed & break fast|
|Day 02||Drive to Taplejung (2,420 m) by Local Bus 8/9 hours overnight at Lodge|
|Day 03||Trek to Chirwa (1,185 m) 6/7 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 04||Trek to Sekathum (1,650) m 5/6 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 05||Trek to Ghunsa (3,415 m) 6/7 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 06||Trek to Lhonak (4,792 m) 8 ½ hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 07||Morning hike to Kanchenjunga Base camp (5,140m) (Pangpema) see the incredible of Mount Kanchenjunga, Nepal Peak, Dromo peak, Kirat Chuli, Kangbachen, many etc. then back to lhonak 4792 m 7/8 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 08||Trek to Ghunsa (3,415m) hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 09||Trek to Selele (4,200m) 4 ½ hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 10||Trek to Tseram (3,868m) via Miring-la (4,645 m) Sinlapche pass (4,645 m) this day quite challenging day due to High pass 6/7 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 11||Trek Visit to Oktang Temple, Glacier, (4740m) see the incredible view of Mount Kabru, Kanchenjunga, yalungkang, kumbakarna many etc. Trek back to Tseram (3,868m), 6/7 hours overnight at camp.|
|Day 12||Trek to Sherpa gaun (1792m) 11 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 13||Trek to Phumpe dada (1,860m) 6/7 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 14||Trek to Lali kharka (2,266m) 11 hours overnight at tea house.|
|Day 15||Trek to Suketar (2,420m )3 ½ and 8 hr to Bhadrapur drive.|
|Day 15||Flight from Bhadrapur to Kathmandu|
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- Kanchanjunga Conservation Area is one of the least explored area in north eastern Nepal. This area also abodes the third highest mountain of the world, Mount Kanchenjunga and also diverse flora and fauna. The area shelters the endangered snow leopard, Himalayan black bear, musk deer, red panda. Impeyan pheasant, red-billed blue magpie, shy drongo are some of the many birds found in the area. The conservation area also preserve ethnic diversity and culture. The Limbu, Sherpa and Lama are the dominant ethnic group of this area with distinct culture and tradition.
Kanchanjunga Conservation Area has been less known despite of the richness it offers. The trek will hence focus on highlighting all of its natural and cultural content.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- Obviously, we’ll upload all the images to Wikimedia Commons and slightly update the related images to the concerned article. Additionally, to boost the impact of these images, we’re planning to organize a photo edit-a-thon.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes they have all the necessary equipments and skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content.
Gears: Sony a7rII(Body), Nikon D7200(Body), Sony carl Zeiss 16-35mm(Lens), Sony Carl Zeiss 55mm(Lens), Nikkor 55mm-300mm(Lens)
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- We expected a massive qualitative contribution of around 500+ photographs
- Photo Story of the trekking route
- Explore the historical, cultural and biological story of the concerned area
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We are two people as organizers:
- 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th prize winner of Wiki Loves Earth 2014 in Nepal
- Juror of Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in Nepal
- Organizer of Wiki Loves Earth 2015 in Nepal
- Organizer of Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nepal
- Top-6 and Top-9 winner of Wiki Loves Earth 2017 in Nepal
- Organizer and Photowalk Co-ordinator of Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Nepal
- Organizer of Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Nepal
- Top-10 winner of Wiki Loves Earth 2017 in Nepal
- Organizer and Team Co-ordinator of Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Nepal
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Expenses for the project
|S. No.||Item description||Unit cost||Nos. of Unit||Total NPR||Total USD|
|1||Transportation, Food and Accommodation
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!