Grants:Project/Rapid/Sparrow (麻雀)/Wikipedia for Peace New York City 2019
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Organize a community project
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- The purpose is mainly to have Wikimedia present at the most important LGBT event probably in the last 50 years. It would be important to show support and very fruitful to get input on how to cooperate more closely and effectively with international organisations on the issues surrounding the LGBT community.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- We've seen benefits in several ways: We recruited new very active editors as for example this user on Ukrainian Wikipedia. Which is very important as Russian and Ukranian LGBT Community face issues that could partly be resolved by open source educational / awareness resources like articles on wp. We've also recruited other new editors. We've uploaded countless pictures of LGBT activists/ people which make them more visible on all projects.
We've come up with a list of articles on LGBT issues that should exist in all language versions. Also in our event in Stockholm a participant from Africa took part. He then decided to organise his own event in Africa. This is great because the whole MENA region is one of the regions in the world in which the LGBT community is most oppressed. This will be the first LGBT Wiki event in Africa.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- We'll inform people from the user group and have already talked to some of them who would be interested in participating.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- We have different communication channcels in the user group. This includes a telegram group, the meta page and facebook page as well as our twitter channel.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total participants: 7-8 internationals and the rest from WMNYC which has a great overlap of Wikipedians who are involved in LGBT activism.
- Number of people who will help organize the event
We will also hold public edit-a-thons and try to engage with local LGBT organizations in order to gain new editors. In previous editions this was somewhat successful and we were able to gain good contributors.
We will improve content by writing new articles on LGBT topics. We will most likely also get access to the archive of an LGBT organisation in order to make the information that they have publicly accessible.
Through inviting members of the community from all over the world we will learn from each other and thus improve the skills of each participant as it has happened in previous editions. This could concern anything from building and programming a template to create an easily manageable article list or other ways to improve the writing style etc. --Sparrow (麻雀) 🐧 17:32, 20 March 2019 (UTC)
In terms of new articles created we managed to create 80 at the last gathering in Stockholm and we would aim to at least reach that number again during this event even though it would obviously better to increase the number. Thus far it has steadily increased from about 40 at the first event in Madrid to 80 at the event in Stockholm. We hope to at least reach 80 new articles but also hope for more.
For the public edit-a-thon or LGBT activists/ archivists I would hope for about 20 participants. And then calculate with a retention rate of about 10 %. So we might get 2 new long - term contributors.--Sparrow (麻雀) 🐧 10:10, 21 March 2019 (UTC)
- 1.300 US $ for accommodation for 4 nights for 7 people.
- 700 US $ for food and public transport.
- Strong support The 50th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in NYC is pivotal for LGBT+ rights in the US and across the world, and this request is very important and welcome. If it is awarded, I will attend and participate though will not require any of the funds. --- FULBERT (talk) 22:52, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support: I agree with FULBERT w.r.t. cultural significance of the anniversary. This is a great way to commemorate the occasion. = paul2520 (talk) 02:20, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support: An important project of great value, such events are necessary to bridge the gap of content for LGBT.Looks like a well devised program.Wikilover90 (talk) 04:11, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
- Support I strongly feel this would be a very important event on this historic date which has surely helped the LGBTQ+ community get their rights and the idea aims to better cover it in the WMF projects. Hence, I endorse it.
acagastya 19:26, 22 January 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Historic Wiki Loves Pride edit-a-thon organizes by experts! RachelWex (talk) 01:51, 7 February 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Wikimedia NYC is committed to growing activities related to the LGBTQIA Wiki* content and community. We'd be thrilled to welcome our colleagues from abroad. Megs (talk) 21:40, 2 March 2019 (UTC)
- I participated in last year's edition in Stockholm, and the event opened my eyes to many new things, and made me decide to do something similar in my hometown, Tunis. Also, this gathering will allow LGBT UG meet and speak more about collaborations and next steps for the user group. I totally support this project. Houssem Abida (talk) 17:06, 21 January 2019 (UTC)
- I am looking to participate in this year's edition and like to organise the same in my home city, Kolkata and spread the same in other cities in my country, India, I hereby, strongly totally support this project. Rajeeb (talk) 14:33, 22 May 2019 (UTC)
- Volunteer Hi, Rajeeb (User:Marajozkee) from India, looking to volunteer for your upcoming projects.