Grants:Project/Rapid/TRahman/Technical and administrative resources for Bangladeshi Wikimedia community
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- The main purpose of this grant is to ensure the community’s continuous functional presence to the nationwide members, volunteers, as well as the worldwide community by maintaining and developing the necessary technical resources. With the obtained resources, we would like to increase new editors and members, and add high-quality content to the associated platforms. This is the key objective of this grant that directly relates to the sustainability of the community. Improving communicational and organizational capabilities to meet the rising needs and expectations of the volunteer community is another objective of the project.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- During the project, we will perform the following tasks.
- Renewing domains and hosting of Wikimedia Bangladesh. Wikimedia Bangladesh currently serves the key role for Wikimedia outreach in Bangladesh. Its online presence and resources play an important role in creating and spreading movement awareness in Bangladesh. It also helps engaging volunteers and interest new members. As a primarily online-based organization, Wikimedia Bangladesh offers much valuable information to both new Wikimedians and the general public who do not have sufficient knowledge on welcomeness of the Wikimedia community and its engagement opportunities which is not necessarily limited to Bangla and English Wikipedia but also covers to other sister projects including Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata as well.
- Increasing usability and accessibility of the Wikimedia Bangladesh sites is another major task that will be performed during this project. The current site was launched a long time ago and it has not been worked on since. Currently, it is a volunteer-created site that aged badly. Its current looks are not attractive to readers. It does not provide sufficient information as well. It is uneasy to navigate and not user-friendly. Considering that a lot of readers and editors are visiting from mobile devices, the current website does not offer sufficient mobile responsiveness. With the planned resources, we would like to hire professional help to solve these issues. Altogether Wikimedia Bangladesh’s websites, blogs, and magazines, we hope to circulate valuable localized information on volunteer safety, privacy awareness, inclusion, Wikipedia workflow, and reasoning to minimize the risk of harassment. A modern-looking, user-friendly, mobile responsive, and SEO optimized site ensures the expected reach to the volunteers and those who interested to learn how Wikipedia works and operates.
- As an organization, Wikimedia Bangladesh regularly collaborates with volunteers and other organizations in Bangladesh. During the project, we will spend time and resources to maintain the branding and increase the outreach of the organization.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- We will let others know through our various forms of communication including email lists, social media, and Wikipedia pages. We would like to provide support to community members who need technical support or resources for their organized events.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end of the project, we will approach Wikimedia volunteers with the online infrastructure we developed during this project. They will ensure the continuity of the currently functioning platforms for the community to use. We will also perform a user experience survey to gather feedback on the newly designed websites.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Increase of members
- Development of websites' user experiences
- Increase of contents on privacy & safety awareness, engagement opportunities, and FAQs
- Increase of local Wikimedia communities under Wikimedia Bangladesh
- Increase of member retention
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Domain renewals: 235 USD
- Hosting renewals: 450 USD
- Website overhaul: 1000 USD
- Official Pad and Envelopes: 100 USD
- FAQ Booklets: 120 USD
- Logistics: 25 USD
- Subtotal: 1930 USD
- Support This budget includes all things which the Wikimedia Foundation has a history of sponsoring for Wikimedia chapters. I support this funding because the organization needs this support to operate effectively and because the organization's effective operation is a benefit to both the Bangla and international wiki community. For years Wikimedia Bangladesh has been stable in meeting its reporting and compliance requirements, and also beyond that this has been an active chapter in both originating new projects and growing established ones. I receive and watch for English-language Wiki Bangladesh communications and I observe good programs. I try to review proposals from this chapter when I can, and have endorsed their funding requests in the past. I am happy to support again. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:22, 16 June 2021 (UTC)
- Support —MdsShakil (talk) 19:11, 20 June 2021 (UTC)