Grants:Project/Rapid/Tuanminh01/Vietnamese Wikipedia Nature Science Contest 2017
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Engage existing editors
- Attract new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- We will focus on writing and improving articles about extended natural sciences: mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine and astronomy. The reason is that in Vietnamese wikipedia, these articles attract little interest; the created and often edited articles are mostly about history, Vietnam war, films, and actors/actresses.
- We will organize two contest months, September and December 2017
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The contest will be announced 2-4 weeks in advance through Sitenotice, Wikipedia village pump, and group Facebook :  and .
- We will ask editors who are working in universities to promote it to their students.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Contest participants will be responsible for tracking and scoring their work on the main contest page. They will list each article they have worked on and keep track of their score.
- Scoring system: one point will be given for each 1000 bytes added to any article, three points for each new article created. Contest organizers will verify a sample of scores.
- Prizes will be given to the top six scorers. Prizes are phone recharge cards, so delivery should not be a problem.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is my first application, and our community"s first self-organized contest as well, so we will start small, and divide the contest into two separate contest months, to learn and to do better next time.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of articles created or improved: 300/month * 2 = 600 articles (estimated from the result of Wikipedia Asian Month 2016)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Tuanminh01 - organizer, will create contest pages, check scores, purchase and give prizes
- Mintu Martin - volunteer, will check scores
- Ngocminh.oss - volunteer, will review articles
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Total funding needed: 390 USD for prizes - $100/($70 x 2)/($50 x 3) for three levels of prizes.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- It's a good idea. It will help to extend the content of short articles and encourage some members to write or translate new whole ones. It also helps people to read more articles in these fields, which could be useful or at least also entertaining. I will join the competition, if it takes place. DanGong (talk) 05:47, 9 June 2017 (UTC)
- I'm very excited about the Vietnamese Wikipedia Nature Science Contest 2017. I hope more and more people will participate in this project in order to contribute to Vietnamese Wikipedia in this topic. Mintu Martin (talk) 06:39, 9 June 2017 (UTC)
- It's really helpful for Vietnamese Wikipedia project since the number of articles in these topics is limited compared to other ones such as history and entertainment. I think this will help to increase the quantity and enrich the quality of nature science articles. Thusinhviet (talk) 17:36, 9 June 2017 (UTC)
- This project is much needed for Vietnamese Wikipedia. I hope there will be more activities to reach more people and encourage them to participate. Ngocminh.oss (talk) 18:15, 10 June 2017 (UTC)
- It's a great idea! Nguyentrongphu (talk) 21:11, 10 June 2017 (UTC)
- Because I want to extend some more categories that are unfamiliar in Wiki Vietnamese. XxxNMTxxx (talk) 11:12, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- This is a valuable project which helps to attract the attention of community. Alphama (talk) 15:44, 16 June 2017 (UTC)
- This project helps new Vietnamese editors understand the work of wikimedia Minhnt8 (talk) 01:41, 18 June 2017 (UTC)
- The current Vietnam wiki page is suffering from a severe lack of information in depth. Most of the pages I came across usually cover only the most basic ideal of the topic and without any further reading to widen the viewer(s) 's knowledge. While I still don't know if this contest is about creating new pages base on your information or translating from other languages', but seeing somebody who's willing to open such a social competition does cheer me up a lot ABlackPHYSICIST (talk) 07:12, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- @ABlackPHYSICIST: Translation from other languages, especially English, is welcome and encouraged. Thanks and best regards, Tuanminh01 (talk) 11:47, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- Nice idea! Kimkha (talk) 02:41, 5 July 2017 (UTC)
- Tp improve the quality of Vietnamese Wikipedia. Tttrung (talk) 04:35, 19 July 2017 (UTC)
- dam me sang tao
- How to tell the size of an Wikipedia article?
- Volunteer It's a great idea. Start2404 (talk) 18:25, 16 June 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I am an absolute beginner
- Volunteer I will write a new article about my discover of a new method in mathematics. 188.8.131.52 14:29, 18 June 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I will translate the English pages to Vietnamese ones.
- Volunteer add or improving content 184.108.40.206 10:12, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I can review articles. Ngocminh.oss (talk) 19:04, 8 July 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I suggest that the moderators should create more opportunity for newbies to contribute more for the Wiki, rather than just mechanically deleting their contributions by citing the rules in narrow-minded way. Nguyenledonghai (talk) 15:22, 4 August 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer vngf 220.127.116.11 23:37, 21 August 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer When you say "prizes are in the form of phone recharge cards, does it mean that the winners will not receive any cash?