Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 India
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Highlighted below are our primary project goals:
- To spread awareness about contributing to Wikipedia and its sister projects
- To encourage photographic societies across India to contribute to Wikimedia Commons
- To increase the number of freely licensed photographs about the heritage sites in India
- To increase the number of Quality Images of Indian monuments in Wikimedia Commons
- To encourage public and private organisations that encourages photography and heritage to participate and contribute to Wikimedia movement in all possible ways
- For retention of photographers who contributed little post Wiki Loves Monuments in previous years and then became temporarily inactive. This can be achieved with analysis post the contest and with strong initial on Wiki involvement. Keeping the participants informed about activities with a bot to invite contributors to participate in regional activities and then involving them with the community.
Secondary projects goals are as below:
- To encourage Indian Wikimedia movement about the importance of organizing such contests
- To cultivate matured volunteers who can come up with innovative contests which will contribute to the movement
- To document best practices for any contests to be organised in India. Technically, there are Best Practices available, but they are always egional specific.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
There are more than 7,400 monuments in India either National or State Protected as listed by Archaeological Survey of India. From the total, only approx 25% of the monuments has (at-least one) image in Wikimedia Commons. Thus, the percentage not covered is very huge and has to be chased down.
During the two years of WLM (2012, 2013), we received over 27,000 images. Both the years, we enjoyed maximum number of users participating; count standing at 3,500+. 2,900 images from both years were added various articles across Wikimedia projects.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
Through multiple ways, as below:
- Central Notice across Wikimedia projects; to be directed to our site
- Website; anybody Googling would be able to reach out to our site and know more about the contest
- Photowalks; various community will head photo-walks in their respective city
- We are in talks with Public and Provate organisations associated to protect Heritage monuments in India with numerous promotional plans
- Media coverage
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? The jury will determine the winners of the international contest by the following criteria (in no particular order):
- Technical quality (Sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.)
- Originality / setting
- Usefulness of the image on Wikipedia
Jury will comprise of 7 members with different expertise; people from the Wikimedia community and well-known photographers.
Prizes will be in term of money and a trophy. Swags will also couriered to them. Details mentioned in Budget section.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of photos contributed from the ASI's list of monuments in India; we expect 10,000+ photos to be contributed
- Number of new contributors; who never uploaded photos to Commons before; 1,000+ such volunteers
- Number of existing contributors participating for the contest
- Number of volunteers lending hands unlike previous versions
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Naveen Francis
- Karthik Nadar
- Kiran Ravikumar
- Abhinav Srivastava
Project budget table
(in Indian Rupees)
|Domain and Hosting||5,000|
|Posters and other printed materials||4,000|
|Photowalks (note 1)||5,000|
|Prizes and Trophies||95,000|
|4th and 5th Prize||10,000 (5,000 each)|
|6th to 10th Prize||15,000 (3,000 each)|
|Calendar & T-Shirts||10,000|
|Calendars (note 2)||5,000|
|T-Shirts (note 3)||5,000|
- Photo walk has been planned at two cities right now; one in Bangalore and another one in Old Hyderabad. In case, we plan to host photowalks in other cities as well, WMIN has promised to lend a helping hand.
- Calendars will be distributed to Institution Partners, volunteers, jury team and winners. This calendars will comprise photos not only of WLM India 2016, but also of Wiki Loves Earth India 2016 and Wiki Loves Food India 2015. 25-30 calendars such calendars are to be printed.
- T-shirts will be distributed to photowalk participants, volunteers, jury team and winners. Not more than 50 t-shirts (exclusively for WLM) will be printed and exiting t-shirts available with WMIN will be used as well.
Total cost of project
Additional sources of revenue
We are in talks with various public and private institutions associated with Cultural heritages in India. Any additional rewards from there is not mentioned here unless they are finalised. If any, they shall be noted in the report.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- WLM brings monuments close to language wiki's and it's a must have activity for India to cover the length and breadth of the country on Commons. It helps community share the joy of sharing to new editors and more. Omshivaprakash (talk) 03:27, 27 August 2016 (UTC)
- Glad to see WLM returning to India. The organizing team has solid experience conducting this event with spectacular results in the past. Ravi (talk) 06:42, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Welcome back WLM India! Csyogi (talk) 09:05, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Good to know!!! WLM welcome back to India. Gopala Krishna A (talk) 10:44, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Dineshkumar Ponnusamy (talk) 13:55, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Sujay Chandra 14:57, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Mohammed Ammar (talk) 17:53, 26 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support Ranjithsiji (talk) 01:25, 3 September 2016 (UTC)