Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves SDGs Nigeria
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or Improve SDGs' related content about Nigeria to Wikipedia and WikiData
- Recruit new editors.
- Engage existing editors.
- Engage SDGs Crusaders in Nigeria on how to bridge the content gap on SDG on Wikipedia with a focus on Nigeria related content
- Training selected SDGs' crusaders in Nigeria on how to contribute to Wikipedia
- Teach the participants the use of Wikidata to create link-data
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are organizing a series of edit-a-thon and training on the SDGs in Nigeria.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- I plan to share notification with members of the Wikimedia Community in Nigeria and co-members at the University of Ilorin, Kwara state Nigeria.
- With the support of Wikimedians from Wikimedia User Group Nigeria official facebook fan page, Yoruba Wikipedia official facebook fan page, Yoruba Wikipedia Community portal.
- I have started discussions with SDG Crusaders in Nigeria, and they have shown interest in participating in the proposed event.
- I plan to create publication and announcement on social media to pick selected member of the public that will participate in the event.
- I am currently talking with The Nigerian Youth SDGs Network for collaboration and they have shown interest to be part of this project as content for wider reach in publicity as top organization responsible for localizing the Sustainable Development Goals in Nigeria.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, I have experienced Wikimedians from Wiki Fan Ilorin, Ilorin Wikimedia Hub and Wikimedia Nigeria Community that have shown interest in collaborating with me in this event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, we have designed the event to accommodate only prospective participants with working devices.
- Internet will be provided at the venue for the participants at the training.
- Experienced Wikimedians will be available to guide the prospective participants throughout the entire period of the event on how to produce quality content.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Participants will be onboarded to either Telegram or WhatsApp to engage/mentor participants on issues related to content created during the event.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? Potential partners
- The Nigerian Youth SDGs Network (Publicity and Content Partner)
- Office of Senior Special Adviser to the President of Nigeria on SDGs - Princess Victoria Orelope-Adefulire
- UNDP FCT, Abuja. Nigeria (Content Partner)
- United Nations Information Centre, Lagos- (Content Partner)
- YALI Network, Abuja- (Content Partner)
- AIESEC Nigeria- (Content Partner)
- Millennium Campus Network, Nigeria Members/Fellows- (Content Partner)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- If two workshops and an edit-a-thon are organized
- If at least 25 people participates
- If at least 20 new editors are recruited
- if at least 100 articles are created/improved/translated
- if at least 500 WikiData items are added
- if at least 50 Wikipedia articles articles are linked on Wiki Data
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). I have at least 5 editors in addition to my self willing to give a talk and organise the practical training. They will be present in all editions of the event to assist in the Proposed Project. They are:
- James User:James Moore200 (Project lead) He is an active Wikimedian in Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin and wikimedia Nigeria. He has experience both on and off Wiki. James ie currently one of the planning committee for Wikipedia 20 Conference in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. He co-manages all social media platforms for the fan club and the Nigerian community at large as a social media expert and community engagement manager. Besides, he initiated and implemented a weekly online women focused campaign (#Wiki4NaijaWomen) since April 2020, which is aimed at show-casing different Nigeria's reputable women in different sectors both in Nigeria and Abroad. In 2020, Jes emerged as one of the top 9 editors during the Global Wiki Loves SDGs organised by User:EMsmile. (Organiser/Trainer)
- Sam User:Jamie Tubers Outreach Coordinator, Wikimedia Nigeria Coordinator, Ilorin Wikimedia Hub, Founder / Lead, The AfroCine Project.
- Precious User:Obiorah Precious Oby One of the nine volunteers who made the most valuable contributions to SDG-related topics in the English Wikipedia during the edit-a-thon [Prize Winner During Global Week] and Wiki4Climate in 2020 (co-trainer)
- Babalola User:Osenibabalola0 active wikimedian and multiple award-winning editor in both English and Yoruba Wikipedia (co-trainer).
- Bolaji User:Bilijin (co-trainer) She is an experienced wikipedian with a knack for prudence.
- Isaac User:Timmylegend He is an experienced Wikipedian, He is the current lead of the Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin.
- Funding of the budget ($1,800)
- Conference Room/Hall (3days @ $131/day) = 393
- Refreshments (Tea break, and lunch) $5/person x 31 people x 3 Days = 465
- Banner = $65
- Souvenirs for participants & facilitators (Jotters, pen, stickers) @ $8/person x 31 = 248
- Internet Subscription (During the project, post-project and for report writing) = $200
- Shirts (12 T-Shirts for key facilitators and participants) = $64
- Hand Sanitizer = $20
- Rental = $90
- Airtime for communication = $25
- Branding and certificate for participants = 30
- Prizes for Top 5 Editors = $120
- Contingency = $80
- Total- $1,800; NGN 693,000
- Exchange rate used = 385/$ (Dollar)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support This project will enhance the recruitment of new editors from Nigeria (a region that is highly under-represented in Wikimedia in terms of the number of active editors). I believe the project will also help build the capacity of Wikimedia editors in Nigeria as well as help improve SDG related articles in Wikipedia. Omorodion1 (talk) 11:04, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This project would help to bridge the knowledge gap about the SDGs in Nigeria. Timmylegend (talk) 11:17, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly believe the SDGs should be given the utmost attention, this project will highlight that and importance to the society. It will serve as a repository of information and action.Zend2020 (talk) 11:45, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This is one of the kind of projects for uplifting the relevance of wikipedia in the society. Osenibabalola0 (talk) 04:10, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
- I strongly support the idea of this project and what it seeks to achieve. I believe it will go a long way to create content that will help bridge the knowledge gap arround the SDGS. User:Ruby D-Brow n (talk)
Strong support I believe this project will create an avenue where editors who are not aware of the SDGs will be enlightened and trained on how to create new and improve articles about SDGs on Wikipedia. Major Lyte (talk) 05:04, 12 February 2021 (UTC)
Strong support With my knowledge about the objective of this project, I believe this project will enhance the awareness of the Wikipedia world and Nigerian on the Global goals for 2030 Pheritenom (talk) 18:22, 13 February 2021 (UTC)
- Support A series of edit-a-thon with a focus on SDG is a great idea.--Jamie Tubers (talk) 13:26, 14 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support Nigeria has claimed to be more solution-oriented towards the SDGs goals. This project could help us track the SDGs progress in Nigeria and also give insights into the progress in Africa. How far have we come to achieving these goals? I think this is an amazing project and will be very informative. This project could be an eye-opener and let us know how the SDGs are doing in developing countries taking Nigeria as a case study. The challenges Nigeria has faced and is facing towards achieving these goals. What is the way forward? I think this project is a necessity. Obiorah Precious Oby (talk) 04:25, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I believe this project will increase the number of articles on SDGs that are available on Wikipedia and expose the effect and relevance of SDGs in the Nigerian society and Africa to the whole world at large.Bukky658 (talk) 21:10, 16 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This project is going to be an eye opener and create better awareness about SDG. Also the facilitators are well trusted as regards quality delivery.OTim75 (talk) 23:41, 18 February 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support A great project with a great prospect to capture knowledge gap around SDG on WikipediaOlaniyan Olushola (talk) 03:29, 19 February 2021 (UTC)