Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédien du Bénin User Group/Wiki Loves Africa Benin 2020
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and its purpose.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non professional) to wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Bénin will focus on photo shooting activities under the theme Transportation. Pictures will be uploaded on commons and will be used to illustrate Beninese related articles on Wikipedia and on its sister projects. We will also make an exhibition of best images in partnership with a cultural center in Benin in order to encourage best images entries.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Offline: Word of mouth and posters will be printed and displayed in libraries, Universities and schools
- Online: We will set up social media pages (Facebook, Twitter ) to reach people online.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- A jury of 3 professional and passionate photographers will set criteria and will select 3 best images based on these criteria.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We will create an isa tool campaign for the period of the contest to improve the uploaded photos descriptions.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants : 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons : 1000+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects : 50+
- 50+ will be categorized as valued, quality or featured
For writing contests:
- Number of participants : 20
- Number of articles created or improved : 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 592,479 FCFA (XOF) as of 6 December, 2019 Oanda
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Summary|
|Launch event||Venue||1||$150||$150||We will have the introduction of Wiki Loves Africa project, wikicommons.|
|Venue||1||$150||$150||2 weeks after launch we will hold a press conference to raise awareness and an uploading session|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||6||$7.5||$45||T-shirts for organizers/staff
T-shirt will be given to contributor who has uploaded good number and quality photos, as well as to participant who has won the local ISA contest.
|Stickers & Badges||50||$0.5||$25|
|Printed Best Images||20||$5||$100|
|Transport||4||$25||$100||Internet will be used during events for photo uploading.
Communication-Marketing (Posters, flyers and stickers printing, documents and photoshooting learning guides...)
|Internet at the events||4||$50||$200|
training sessions and upload parties
|Social Media (Promotion)||6||$10||$60|
(posters / Flyers )
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$350||$350||The awards will be given as gifts or gift cards of different values. This event will be hosted on a different venue, a plan is to hold this event for three hours and have about 80 to 100 people attending.
Best images will be exhibited at a cultural center (Fondation ZINSOU, Institut Français du Bénin or Campus Numérique Francophone de Cotonou) in a digital format.
|Drinks and Snacks||1||$100||$100|
|Total: USD 1940|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!