Thank you for this report. Please provide further information as detailed below. Add to the grant report or to this talk page, as appropriate. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 20:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- The status of the project is unclear. Is it over? Is it still ongoing? Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 20:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- The grant request mentions two separate kits -- one for secondary schools and one for teachers and/or university students. The report suggests only the former was produced so far. Is this correct? If so, what about the latter kit? Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 20:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- The grant request guarantees the kits would be available online. Are they? If so, please link to them from the grant report page. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 20:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- Please include a section with an account of underspending (i.e. grant funds not yet spent) and your plans for further spending, if any. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 20:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- Please e-mail us scanned receipts for all expenses to grants AT wikimedia DOT org Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 20:46, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks Asaf. Answering the first 3 questions first.
- Actually, this project is now on going, but without spending money from grants. As I mentioned in the part of Further corporation opportunities, some secondary schools had already invited us to give their students a workshop, by using the toolkits. So, we would keep going to difference schools before/in the following summer holiday break.
- We had only made one kit only, its targeted to the secondary students. Even for school teacher, they will using the same version of kits. we hope the teachers can understand this toolkit very well, and used to teach their students. Or even acting their teaching material during lesson.
- The educational toolkits had not been uploaded online yet.
- Βικέντιος×Vincent×瘟神×やくびょうがみ 18:10, 26 February 2012 (UTC)
- Okay, thanks for the answers! We look forward to seeing the kits made available online, and to answers to my two last requests above.
- Additionally, could you add a section on lessons learned during work on this project? I.e. What went well, what didn't go well, what were unforeseen difficulties, what should have been done differently, etc. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 18:24, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for adding these sections. Am I correct in understanding the toolkit is essentially a two-sided one-page flyer describing the components of a Wikipedia article page? Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 18:28, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Marking as "Incomplete"
We are marking this grant report as Incomplete, as the grantee still has not responded to Asaf's request for more information on 6 March 2012.
Grant reports may be marked incomplete when a grantee does not provide information requested by WMF for 30 days or more. Once the grantee provides WMF with the requested information, the grant may be marked Under Review or Accepted.
Thank you for completing this report.
We'd suggest that volunteers considering future projects keep the following in mind:
- Contact information appears to be missing form this brochure, so those interested in reaching out to the chapter would not necessarily know how to follow up.
- There also doesn't appear to be a link to Chinese Wikipedia or a landing page on that site with information about how to edit. If this project is designed to recruit new editors, it seems like it would have made sense to include that.
Project leads, feel free to correct me if I simply missed where the above information was included.
Additionally, it seems like you have funds remaining from this grant, about USD 5981. Please confirm that this amount is correct and we will adjust your Wikimania allocation accordingly.
- The toolkit is distributed in hard-copy form, so it'd be rather unprofessional to include any link for navigation rather than citation purposes. Wikimedia Hong Kong is very searchable on the internet, though I appreciate that it may be helpful to include a short URL or an email address to WMHK in addition to the logo. Deryck C. 16:23, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- We're still waiting on confirmation of this amount. Please provide it. Regards, Winifred Olliff (Grants Administrator) talk 22:17, 12 February 2013 (UTC)
- Administrative and accounting costs associated with this grant project are also funded using this grant's money, but are (for simplicity of accounting purposes) reported as part of the chapter's general expenditure rather than as an expenditure of this grant. Details of those can be found on WMHK's 2010-11 and 2011-12 financial reports.
- WMHK requests that the remainder amount be reallocated to the future administrative costs of the chapter. This can be taken into consideration with WMHK's FDC 2012-13 round 2 proposal where appropriate. Deryck C. 16:23, 28 February 2013 (UTC)
- Hi, Deryck. I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but grant funds may only be used for the purposes approved in the grant proposal and there don't seem to be any administrative costs included there. Funds not used for the grants purpose should be returned to WMF or reallocated to another approved use. Is the amount remaining from this grant US$ 5981? Thanks, Winifred Olliff (Grants Administrator) talk 02:01, 7 March 2013 (UTC)
Hello again, Deryck.
I still haven't heard back from you about these remaining funds. We'd like to help you work with WMF to resolve this before staff proposal assessments of Wikimedia Hong Kong's Proposal to the FDC are published: you are currently out of compliance with WMF Grants Program requirements.
Note that it is not permitted to use grant funds for purposes other than those specified in the grant submission without written permission in advance from WMF Grants Program staff.
If WMHK has already used grant funds to cover some of its operating costs, the best course of action is:
- Report those costs here immediately, and send receipts documenting those costs to WMF.
- Request retroactive approval in writing for reallocating those funds to cover those costs by creating a subpage of your grant request or by completing your reallocation request here on this discussion page. See, Grants:Index/Request reallocation for instructions. If the amount reallocated is under US$ 500 or its equivalent, then a new grant submission is not required. If you anticipate any operating expenses to be incurred before a decision is delivered on your FDC proposal, you may also request funds to cover these operating costs, as long as the total amount of the reallocation request remains under US$ 500.
- WMF will then review the reallocation request. If the reallocation request is approved and spent funds are documented, then this approved amount will be deducted from the total amount WMHK owes WMF.
- All remaining funds not approved for reallocation should be returned to WMF: Grants:Index/Return unused funds to WMF.
We look forward to hearing from you soon in order to resolve this. Feel free to contact grants at wikimedia dot org with questions or concerns, or address them here on this discussion page. Sincerely, Winifred Olliff (Grants Administrator) talk 15:21, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
After all the talk around this grant, I'm disappointed that I'm still unable to find an answer to a simple question, that is how much has been spent for it.
- The numbers on the page are incomplete, as we know. The links to financial statements above are useful as a proof, but can't replace a financial overview on the project/grant (I've read them, and got some sort of basic idea which may improve with some more reverse engineering of the statements, but it's not acceptable): WMHK should just add to the report how much has been spent on what they called administrative costs around the grant, and any other spending on the grant that they're not returning to the WMF. The WMF didn't help clarifications, with the suggestion to mix money of different projects making the financial "closure" of one project depend on another, later one ("adjust your Wikimania allocation accordingly"): this should be avoided as it missed the point and made things worse.
- The grant was very generic: after reading it again I remembered I was quite confused back then, when it was approved. It's difficult to tell what was approved, so I'm not surprised that there were misunderstandings. There's no reason for WMHK not to claim that administrative costs were funded and should be reimbursed (but see 1.). The WMF is equally free to reject (part of) the request and ask more money back, of course, in which case some more things will need to happen.
--Nemo 16:55, 17 May 2013 (UTC)
Full spending report
Dear WMHK: as discussed with Simon Shek two weeks ago, your first priority toward additional funding should be to resolve the issues in this long-overdue grant report. We are still waiting for a report of all spending made with this grant's funds (whether approved or not). Please provide this as soon as you can. Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 21:28, 17 June 2013 (UTC)
Request to use the remaining funding for auditing
WMHK would like to use HKD 17,600 for the accounting firm. It would include the auditing for fiscal year 2013-14 and 2014-15. Financial items related to Wikimania 2013 are included in these two fiscal years.
The price for auditing service is HKD 8,000 per fiscal year, with 10% contingency fee. The total amount to be requested is HKD 8,000 x 2 x (1+10%) = HKD 17,600
As of May 25th May 2016, the auditing process is in progress. It is expected to be completed in August.
After the completion of auditing, the audited financial statement will be published. We will submit the financial statement to related government departments in Hong Kong, and will also provide a copy of financial statement to Wikimedia Foundation (through meta, or any other ways). Rover Wong@WMHK (talk) 14:56, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
- Hi Rover Wong@WMHK. We understand the accounting is necessary to finally resolve the open questions around the Wikimania expense documentation. Please send us the engagement letter from the accounting firm for our review. Once we have reviewed the specific deliverables and timeline, we can approve the request.
- Please also confirm how much is remaining in total from this grant. From the above conversation it sounds like there is USD 5,981 remaining. If you use HKD 17,600 for accounting, this would leave approximately USD 3,715. We request that you return those funds to WMF according to the instructions here. Please let me know if you have any questions about this. Cheers, Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 04:34, 7 June 2016 (UTC)