Lingua Libre/SignIt/2022/Phase 1
I'm coming back to you Pyb following your request for information on the SignIt for Firefox[0a] add-on, which I took over at the end of 2020 when 0x010C[0b] left. You (you) will find below a technical inventory, the developments carried out, the current limits and the possible opportunities.
SignIt app: technical review
- Early 2021: Migration fr -> .org, add-on fixed.
- July 2022: "Contribute" button is fixed.
- July 2022: the 2 display bugs on wikipedia and lemonde.fr [3a,3b]
- 659 videos are available via Commons.
Viewpoint: The addon is up and running, the repository is clean, all relatively easy to maintain.
- The number of video-words present (659) is low.
- Glitch Lingualibre RecordWizard: LinguaLibre video recordings appear on Commons as audio, surely a small tag to fix.
Point of view: the low lexical coverage and the ambiguity of the contribution do not allow Wikimedia France to promote this educational tool.
Strategic point of view
On the strategic side, it seems to me that SignIt retains good potential since it is in line with the objectives of the foundation (inclusiveness, diversity), strong points of WMFR (:fr:wikt) and actually very practical (real usefulness of the plugin). the avenues for contributions and valuation are visible.
SignIt Project: Opportunities
In terms of contributing resources, we have identified library contributors in the French Open Source and deaf community in Toulouse, as well as a research center working on the recognition of signed videos in Kazakhstan. These contacts are currently not in use.
In a second step, with a tool developed and operational, an established LSF production, other sign languages (American, German, Spanish, etc.) will be used.
Solutions to unlock and advance
In terms of development resources, it's probably either 5 days of development, ~2500€ on Lingualibre in order to resolve the video recording. This point seems too complex for "passing" volunteers, but modest for a full-time web developer. The profile sought: web / php developer.
On the content side, a collaboration with Toulouse, which already films free videos for PeerTube but lacks a suitable tool, seems natural. See with them.
Positive communication operations are possible: "WMfr and inclusiveness"; "Learn LSF by reading Wikipedia"; "100 common signs to hack your daily life"; "100 signs for your baby", you will find better than me how to hook the reader-donor.
Here is the field information that I can send back to Wikimedia France. I'm moving on to other projects. 👍
- [0a]: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lingua-libre-signit/
- [0b]: https://github.com/lingua-libre/SignIt/issues/4
- : https://github.com/lingua-libre/SignIt/commits/master
- : https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T313348: corrected contribute button.
- [3a]: https://github.com/lingua-libre/SignIt/issues/1: wikipedia display bug fixed
- [3b]: https://github.com/lingua-libre/SignIt/issues/2: lemonde.fr display bug fixed
- : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Videos_Langue_des_signes_francaise
- : https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T312554: video appears as audio
- : https://peertube.s2s.video/about/instance
- : https://lingualibre.org/wiki/LinguaLibre:Interested_communities