Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Newsletter)
|Newsletter||Year launched||Scope||Frequency||Latest issue||Talk page delivery||Other delivery methods|
|Tech News||2013||Recent and upcoming tech changes likely to impact Wikimedians||weekly||read||subscribe (multilingual)||RSS/Atom feeds, mailing list, transclusion...|
|The Wikipedia Signpost||2003||a community-written and edited newspaper that covers stories, events, and reports related to the English Wikipedia, its sister projects, and the Wikimedia Foundation||monthly||read||subscribe (English only)||RSS feed, watchlist, transclusion...|
|This Month in Education||2012||a community-led monthly newsletter featuring updates, reports, news, and stories about how Wikipedia and sister projects are used in education around the world||monthly||read||subscribe (multilingual)||Email educationlistswikimediaorg to have the newsletter delivered to your email.|
See also Education/Newsletter/About for more info on the newsletter
|This Month in GLAM||2011||International reports regarding cultural heritage institutions (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums) of the previous month related to Wikimedia||monthly||read||subscribe (English only)||Feed / Email subscription via IFTTT|
See also GLAM/Newsletter/About for more info on the newsletter
|Editing updates||2014||Updates on the status of the visual editor and other editing topics||monthly||read||subscribe (English Wikipedia only) - subscribe (multilingual edition)|
|Wikidata status updates||2012||Overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over the past week||weekly||read||subscribe (English only)||mailing list|
|Tech Showcase||2018||Fresh software for Wikimedia caught on the spot. Plans, prototypes, releases... Have a scoop? Use the newsletter's talk page for it.||irregular||read||subscribe (cross-wiki notification + notification email)|
|Wikimedia Research Newsletter||2011||Covers academic research of relevance to the Wikimedia community||monthly||Latest issue: May 2023||-||Subscription options (English only)|
|Books & Bytes (The Wikipedia Library Newsletter)||2013||Covers The Wikipedia Library, which provides editors with free access to many paywalled digital publications||every two months||subscribe|
|Abstract Wikipedia (and Wikifunctions||2020||Cover Abstract Wikipedia and Wikifunctions||~weekly||subscribe||Mailing list, Telegram/IRC|
|Growth||2018||Covers Growth team work on on boarding and retaining newcomers||quarterly||read||subscribe (multilingual + crosswiki)||Diff|
|Apps||2023||Delivers the latest updates and information about roadmap, office hours, and the conferences we participate in.||every two months||Subscribe|
|wikil@b||2023||Covers academic projects (teaching and research) in France and Wikimedia news relevant for scholars community||monthly||read||subscribe||mailing list|
|Movement Charter Drafting Committee Newsletter||2022||updates and announcements about the work of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee||monthly||Subscribe||MS Forum|
Also see the list of Newsletter on Mediawiki.org using the extension Newsletter.
Providing newsletters in languages other than just English widens your potential audience, as many Wikimedians don't understand English. Others can read English but still prefer to read news in their native language.
As of 2014, there are tools available that make preparing and delivering a multilingual newsletter relatively easy. See Newsletters/Translation.
- Usually, try avoiding complex layout as much as possible. Some editors don't like it when newsletters add fancy layout or formatting because it "pollutes" their talk page. Complex layout with divs and/or tables also increases the risks of missing a closing tag and posting broken wikicode to hundreds of pages. You don't want to go through hundreds of wikis to fix a badly-closed table manually. Trust those of us who made that mistake :)
- If you use images, use
thumbas much as possible, and avoid hardcoded alignment: On right-to-left wikis, the alignment will need to be reversed, so it complicates things if you have hardcoded "left" or "right" aligned objects. A regular "thumb" works better because it automatically knows where to align the image on all wikis.
- If you're posting a message in a language that isn't the language of the wiki, add directionality and language markers. For example, if you're posting a message in English, wrap it like so:
<div class="mw-content-ltr" lang="en" dir="ltr">YOUR MESSAGE</div>
- You don't need to add this if you're using the Lua script for multilingual newsletter; the script automatically adds the directionality and language tags where needed.
This page is currently a draft. More information pertaining to this may be available on the talk page.Translation admins: Normally, drafts should not be marked for translation.
- Transcluding the latest issue of a newsletter automatically (for use on portals, subscription templates, etc.)
- Setting up RSS/Atom feeds for a newsletter
- Advertising your newsletter on social media channels
|Newsletter||Scope||Frequency||Latest issue||Talk page delivery||Other delivery methods|
|Collaboration team products'
|Newsletter about Collaboration team products: Notifications, Flow and Edit Review Improvements.||monthly||read||subscribe (multilingual)|
|Overview of what has been happening in the Wikimedia movement over the past month||monthly||read||subscribe (English only)||Feed, mailing list|
|Movement Strategy and Governance News
|Distributed relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board elections and other relevant topics.||quarterly||read||subscribe (multilingual + crosswiki)||Diff|
- Wikizine (2009–2012)
- Wikimedia Quarto (2004–2005)
- Internal news media
- Planet Wikimedia (visit)
- Wikimedia blog (visit)
- w:de:Wikipedia:Newsletter – an overview of Wikimedia newsletters, wiki pages, and blogs bringing news on Wikipedia and its sister projects as well as on Wikimedia matters in dewiki, enwiki, and frwiki (in German)
- Wikimedia News
- Global notifications
- Wikimedia Foundation/Annual Report