The Wikimedia Conference is all about participation. To make the conference a success it will be essential for the invited affiliates to deliberately select their delegates. Participants should come to Berlin to learn and to share, but also to bring the information and learnings back home. We are seeking delegates who will be actively engaged before, during and after the conference and can represent their affiliates. Ideal delegates are those who are
- involved in the decision making processes of the organization,
- striving to help shape the future of the movement,
- or partnerships specialists,
- or program leaders.
To increase diversity and have more diverse points of view present at the Wikimedia Conference, we advise affiliates to send at least one non-male participant per organization/group.
Participants should be eager to shape movement conversations; people with passion for partnerships with institutions, funders and like-minded organizations as well as people striving to improve their affiliates’ impact. Please don’t overthink it, consider this food for thought while making your choices.
Wikimedia Conference is for individuals involved in Punjabi Wikimedians as an organization. This involves organizing programs, partnering with institutions and other decisions of the organization. (Activity on Punjabi Wikimedia projects is not relevant for this conference. If you believe you have been working extensively on Wikimedia projects, then you should consider applying for Wikimania 2018.)
Individuals who feel they are appropriate for this should nominate themselves. The nomination should consist of proving the fact that how you are involved in one or more aspects of the organization. Preference will be given to female candidates. We are going to select an ideal delegate before 31st December.--Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 13:43, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
We are going to select two delegates now:
- One for Strategy track
- One for Capacity Development and Partnerships track
The first outreach event I organized was in June 2015 in Punjabi University, Patiala. It was a Wiki workshop-cum-meetup for new editors and a gender-gap strategy discussion on how we can dispel the gender-oriented disparity in the content of Wikipedia’s articles. In 2015, I was honoured as 2015 Wikipedia Asian Ambassador from the Punjabi Community.
I have organized various outreach programs in the Chandigarh region which is an important region in terms of geography, State Affairs, and educational institutions in the North India region. My outreach efforts had been mainly focused towards two goals.
First one has been to create awareness about Wikimedia projects and how anyone can volunteer and contribute in different projects and thus, become a part of the free knowledge movement.
Secondly, I had a vision to build a Punjabi Community in the Tri-city area. For that purpose, I have organized different outreach events at different venues. I have also organized meetups in the State Library region where different students from multiple streams come to get access of different educational content.
In the Wiki Loves Pride 2017 event organized by me in Chandigarh, the first phase was Wikipedia Workshop for new editors and the second phase of this event was specifically for the old editors. In this phase, a strategy discussion was organized that acted as a Prequel to the next Wiki Strategy Event organized in Patiala, Punjabi University.
I also organized Wikidata Workshop hosted by Asaf Bartov from Wikimedia Foundation where members from Punjabi and Hindi Wikimedia came from different states.
The second phase of this workshop was devised towards Grievance Management session which acted as a valuable mark in solving some of the major issues our communities has been facing since the past few years and provided a platform where the present members of Punjabi and Hindi Community could speak up their grievances out in the open, due to which we were able to cordially come to a positive conclusions.
I also organized Gandhi Jayanti Edit-a-thon at Punjab University, which is a strategic landmark and will continue to organize other events in the future as well.
I have also assisted in maintaining various Meta pages for the events and meetups for Punjabi Community since the past three years. I formulated and wrote the Punjabi Wikimedians 8-month Work Plan that was later passed to all the community for their approval.
Being a founding member of Punjabi Wikimedians User Group, I gave a presentation in one of the meetups about the concept of a User Group and the benefits for applying for a User Group in Wikimedia Foundation.
I was a part of Local organizing team of WikiConference India 2016 where I contributed on local level and also helped with writing the Press Releases. I also wrote a blog that was published on Wikimedia Blog about Wikiconference India Scholarship. I was the host onstage for Wiki Conference India and represented our Punjabi Community before the International and Pan-India attendees.
I also organized Online Article Improving Edit-a-thon for improving the list of 500 old articles on Punjabi Wikipedia that needed more content, references, links, and categories. The result was improvement of 90 articles in 20 days.
WHAT WOULD I LIKE TO LEARN IN CONFERENCE
In this conference, I would like to learn more about
- Collaboration affiliations with local GLAM partners
- Involvement of Media in the advancement of the movement
- New approaches for good presentation and creation of Session content
I think getting an exposure to these sessions in the Wikimedia Conference 2018 would help me polish my skills in teaching and organizing even better events in future, consequently, helping us to build and support even more strong community in the Tri-city region that entire Punjabi community can be proud of and also, advance our User Group in the coming time.
Also, I would contribute to the discussion of Strategy 2030 in the Conference as I hosted a Strategy discussion myself earlier this year in Chandigarh.
Coming back from Berlin, I plan to step up my previous and current efforts and organize outreach programs in various educational institutions, including local schools and universities. I would use my knowledge and skills gained from Wikimedia conference in designing Smart Sessions and Programs that not only entrance the student wing towards wikimedia movement but also is beneficial to students in educational purpose.
The following are the links towards my contributions towards various User Group Activities:
--Wikilover90 (talk) 08:51, 17 December 2017 (UTC)
MY PAST WORK:
I joined Punjabi Wikipedia in 2014. My initial focus was online article editing. From my beginning my article was focused editing about the women. My work is more in online editing but at the same time my role has also been in offline activities.
I slowly started taking part in the Punjabi community meetings. I have been part of almost all the meetings held in the Royal city Patiala, the capital of East Punjab, Chandigarh and the Capital of India, Delhi. During October 2015, I have been part of planning team about the workshop in Chandigarh.
In 2016, I have been a part of the online collaboration "saanjh" Edit-a-thon of West Punjab and East Punjab, and I wrote an article about saanjh Edit-a-thon in the online newspaper "Kiwi Punjab", in which gave all the details about this Edit-a-thon. In 2016, i am also the part of local organising team, in "Wikiconfrence India". I wrote an article also about Wikiconfrence India in Kiwi Punjab, in which all the data of the conference was available.
In 2016-2017, I have been contributing in every month's meetings and events held in Delhi which were jointly organized by the Punjabi Wikimidians, and "Feminism in India". The purpose of these events is to reduce gender discrimination in regional languages.
December 8, 2016, contributed as a trainer to BBC 100 Women Edit-a-Thon.
On April 15, 2017, collaborated with " Feminism in India", I organized an Edit-a-thon named "Sexual Assualt Awareness Month", in New Delhi.
On July 22, 2016, Wikimedia Strategy Meetup, I organised it with Gaurav jhammat. In this strategy the planning was that Every month a meetup organized in Delhi and working on it.
LGBT Personalties Edit-a- thon, i was a participant and also an organizer of this event.
I organized a WikiSource Workshop at Delhi University, with which three new editors were connected and had very good results.
Starting with the Wiki marathon, I have completed almost 300 Wiki articles and my main target is the Wiki year, with which I am trying to reduce gender bias on Punjabi Wikipedia. Because till now I am the only Punjabi WikiMedia woman who is trying it. Due to my efforts, there was an article about me in the Punjabi newspaper,
Punjabi Jagaran. I am trying to promote more and more Wikipedia on social media.
WHAT I WANT TO LEARN IN THE CONFERENCE:
- I am very interested in organizing events and I want to get more training to organize a workshops or events. As the organiser, I want to improve my skills which will make other events better, in the future. I also want to learn some new points to move my user group forward.
- Outreach Program (How to introduce and train newcomers to wiki projects by visiting different locations.)
- i want to learn different ways to reduce gender bias on Wikipedia.
MY FUTURE PLAN:
I want to introduce more and more people to this free online movement. There are still many backward areas in Punjab that have no knowledge about Wikipedia or Wiki projects, so my endeavor will be to reach out to these areas. I would use my knowledge and skills gained from Wikimedia conference to move forward the wiki-movement by connecting with government schools and colleges and i will take the initiative to train and engage children in schools with this movement. In addition, I will do my best to reduce the gender gap in Punjab and Delhi and will make related events in association with various organizations.
LINKS FOR MY WORK:
Nitesh Gill (talk) 18:27, 17 December 2017 (UTC)
1.Saanjh : It was a collaborative wikipedia article creating event among Punjabi Wikipedia and Western Punjabi Wikipedia. I am one of the organizer of this event and helped in suggesting new articles to create. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Saanjh
2. chandigarh workshop : This workshop held at Punjab University Chandigarh while I was a student of same university. So I was a local organizer of this event. It was the first such workshop done by Punjabi Wikimidians at such a large scale and this workshop promoted some future events in Chandigarh. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Satdeep_Gill/Punjabi_Wiki_Workshop_Chandigarh
3. Wikipedia 15 celebration : In order to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Punjabi Wikipedia, a workshop was organized for children at Kotkapura, where they were told about Wikisource and Wikipedia. I helped the children to solve problems during typing and editing during workshops.
4. Dalit History Month : I participated in this event as trainer and represented Punjabi Wikimedians. https://cis-india.org/a2k/blogs/dalit-history-month-2017-edit-a-thon-in-delhi-india
5. BBC Event : BBC News channel organized a wikipedia article event and they asked Punjabi Wikimedians for help. I participated in this event as a trainer. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/New_Delhi/BBC_100_Women_Edit-a-thon_2016
6. Asian month 2016 : I was the co-organizer of this event and Mine work was to judge the articles which were created during event. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Asian_Month/2016_Edition
7. LGBT Personalties Edit-a-thon : I was a participant as well as organizer of this event.
8. Wikimedia strategy meetup delhi : Workshop was held in Delhi to prepare the strategy for Wikimedia Movement 2020. In this, discussions on Wikipedia were discussed in English, Hindi, Telugu and other language languages of Wikipedia. Efforts to jointly try all these Wikipedias are also discussed and some common attempts to increase Diversity on Wikipedia are also discussed. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Sources/Cycle_3/Punjabi_Wikimedians_Strategy_Meetup_in_Delhi_%2822_July_2017%29
After the workshops in Chandigarh and Kotkapura, I documented theirs report on Meta. Apart from that, I had prepared the Annual Report of Punjabi WikiMedians in 2016.
1. chandigarh workshop report : (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Satdeep_Gill/Punjabi_Wiki_Workshop_Chandigarh/Report)
2. kotkapura workshop report : https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Satdeep_Gill/January_2016_Events
3. user group report https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Punjabi_Wikimedians_User_Group/Annual_Report_2016
WHAT WOULD I LIKE TO LEARN IN CONFERENCE
In this conference, I would like to learn more about
1 Learning the Administrative and Decision Making Policy Processes.
2 Learning more organizing skills.
3 Learning to connect with a group.
4 Learn about future strategies for the development of User Group.
I think this event would help me to learn some organizing and collaborating skills which I need to spread the wikimedia movement and its outreach policies. I would like to do various collaborative activities which promote diversity on Wikimedia projects. I will get in touch with various social groups by which I can organize such events related to marginalized issues.--Gaurav Jhammat (talk) 18:40, 17 December 2017 (UTC)
Questions and Comments from the Community