Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Nias
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Nias|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||nia (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Nias||Language name in English|
|Language name||Li Niha||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q2407831 - item has currently the following values:||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikipedia||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Huhuo Wikipedia||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-nia.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Jakarta||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
The Nias language is an Austronesian language spoken on the Nias island and some adjacent islands off the west coast of Sumatra. The native speakers call it Li Niha and in Indonesian, it is called bahasa Nias.
According to the latest data (2019), Nias had a population of 825.768 which is the number of people who speak Nias natively. However, since many Nias people live outside the Nias island, mainly in Sumatra, especially in high numbers in the hinterlands of Sibolga and Padang, the number of people who speak Nias must be higher.
There are three major speech varieties of Nias (some say there are five), which some call dialects, i.e. northern, central and southern varieties. Historically only the northern variety found its way to printed media, when Christian missionaries printed the Bible in the Nias language more than a hundred years ago. Lacking access to other parts of the island at that time, missionaries set up their office in Gunungsitoli, the main town on the island and started publishing in that speech variety. This speech variety written in the Roman alphabet has become the commonly accepted written form of Nias, although in 2020 churches in the Nias island are working on different editions of the Bible accommodating other speech varieties.
It is a common perception among many enthusiasts that Nias as a language is at risk of being endangered in the digital age. The scholar who wrote the grammar of the southern variety, Lea Brown, sounded such warning already twenty years ago. Unfortunately, despite all the warnings and concerns expressed by many others, there has not been any official institution (government or public) that shows interest for the development of the Nias language.
Wikipedia Li Niha started in 2012 and Wiktionary Li Niha followed in 2020. Only recently both projects have attracted attention of Nias contributors, who are language enthusiasts, who had started a group to establish a long term plan to preserve, develop and promote the Nias language.
This group of mixed backgrounds (from professors to students, IT practitioners, priests and other volunteers) aims to be able to document and to promote the Nias language by setting up some standards. One way that we can do is bringing the language into the digital age by creating new words or by reviving old words with new concepts to make it easier to converse in the Nias language in this age of the Internet and social media.
Moreover, we are trying to raise awareness of public and government of the need to teach the Nias language at schools and to create an institution that can promote the language. In both cases, Wikipedia and Wiktionary Li Niha can certainly help to make the Nias language the language of young generations, who only learn and study the Indonesian language at school and university. In long term, the Wikipedia and Wiktionary Li Niha can become the prominent place to preserve and to find Nias language related content.
- Nias language is one of the most unique language in the world which every word in Nias Language is ending with a vowel. As a local language in Indonesia, Nias Language is also going to be extinct. So why, I make this proposal to make a new Wikipedia in Nias language. Give me a chance to prove it my word.
- Support - it has a lively community of dedicated editors Danu Widjajanto (talk) 13:03, 5 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support - WMID has been gaining traction among Nias speakers to start their own Wikipedia. I saw a lot potential in this community. ✒ Bennylin 15:16, 5 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support - I hope Wikipedia can be a platform to share knowledge in my native language. banio (talk) 08:51, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support. -- Si Gam (talk) 13:26, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- User created 5 requests for new Wikipedias on the 29th of August: Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Batak Simalungun, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Li Niha, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Toba Batak, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Batak Karo, Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Toraja Sa'dan, leaving in question whether there's even one member of a possible community interested in work on this Wikipedia.--Prosfilaes (talk) 22:04, 29 August 2018 (UTC)
- Badan Pusat Statistik Kota Gunungsitoli, Jumlah Penduduk dan Rumah Tangga Menurut Kabupaten/Kota di Propinsi Sumatera Utara Tahun 2016-2019.
- niasonline.net, Li Niha – the Essence of the Culture, Tradition and History of the Nias People
User:Yasanto Lase, User:Banio ba Hinako, User:Agusti lase, User:Pinerineks, User:Gulö, Yosafati and other contributors: Langcom intends to approve the creation of Nias Wikipedia and Wiktionary soon. For that, could you please check whether the settings the table at the beginning of the page are all correct (such as the localized project name, the logo, the timezone, …)?
Since this is the first project in Nias language, we also need the translations of all namespace names:
Media: Media Special: Si tohude Talk: Huhuo User: Sangoguna User_talk: Huhuo_zangoguna $1_talk [= Project talk, e.g. Wikipedia talk]: Huhuo_$1 File: Berkas File_talk: Huhuo_berkas MediaWiki MediaWiki_talk: Huhuo_MediaWiki Template: Templat Template_talk: Huhuo_templat Help: Fanolo Help_talk: Huhuo_wanolo Category: Kategori Category_talk: Huhuo_kategori
--MF-W 16:01, 10 December 2020 (UTC)