Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Okinawan
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Okinawan|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||ryu (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Okinawan||Language name in English|
|Language name||沖縄口/うちなーぐち||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34233 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||Wikipedia||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||ヰキペディヤ||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Tokyo||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Arguments in favour
- Support. Japanese Wikipedia stands so lonely in its language family :( And also the Okinawan test wiki looks so good! --ɴõɴəχүsƚ 12:35, 1 November 2010 (UTC)
- Weak support I think Okinawan deserves a Wikipedia, but some native speakers should come. Kanzler31 01:42, 19 November 2010 (UTC)
- Support once we get more entries in the incubator wiki. --Talk contribs 02:53, 11 June 2012 (UTC) | —
- Support. It seems, Okinawan wikipedia may work. I think live Okinawan presented by speakers on wikipedia will enrich knowledges of all those (including humble me), who is interested about this language. It would give much greatest advantage, than if it would be used only locally. --Kusurija (talk) 16:08, 20 February 2014 (UTC)
- Support-MacRusgail (talk) 23:05, 11 December 2014 (UTC)
- Support --Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 14:09, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
- Moderate support. As an elementary speaker of Okinawan, I pledge to continue contributing to this project. Apart from principle challenges, such as lack of native speakers, Okinawan is doing quite well on the Internet and is properly standardized. --Wisconsus (talk) 17:42, 3 November 2016 (UTC)
- Support It is taking too long for the Wikimedia Foundation to decide the issue. I hope this wiki will be approved soon. --Wikipean (talk) 10:56, 15 May 2018 (UTC)
- Contra, for now. Although I am a big supporter of Ryukyuan languages, the incubator might as well be empty and there are no native speakers assisting this project. --Node ue 09:31, 2 November 2010 (UTC)
- The request for project is eligible. Please create Incubator project and go to the FirstSteps page at Translatewiki to start with localization. --Millosh 03:26, 27 November 2010 (UTC)
- Can I ask... will Japanese script/kana be used? -MacRusgail (talk) 23:08, 11 December 2014 (UTC)