- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.
Santali is one of 22 official languages of India and it is one of the most widespread Austroasiatic languages. 6.3 million people speak Santali. Being a South Asian Austrasiatic language, it is extremely different from other Austroasiatic languages as well as Indian languages, which makes it difficult for Santali speakers to use any Wikipedia that is yet available. Therefore a Santali Wikipedia should be made.
--સાગર (talk) 01:54, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
Support -- Ahm masum (talk) 18:35, 30 December 2017 (UTC)
Support This projects looks fairly active on the incubator. --OosWesThoesBes (talk) 12:16, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
- You're right about that. It's also got sufficient interface translation. And its articles are better sourced than I often see in Incubator Wikipedia projects. There are still fewer than 300 pages on the test, which makes it a little on the light side for an approval. But it's well on the way. StevenJ81 (talk) 23:03, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
- In order to inform and pursuance to the language committee of Wikipedia I put following notes regarding recent developments in Santali Wikipedia:
- Since February we have added more than 200 pages and today we have more than 400 articles in Santali Wikipedia test project. Good Numbers of Santali editors are consistently active in every month.
- The number of active user are also increasing every month, last year June when we had only one active user today we have 7-9 active user every month.
- There is an average addition of 3000000 bytes to the project in last six month.
- In a campaign of supporting Indian language Wikipedia program coordinated by Wikimedia Foundation , Google, Centre for Internet and Society (CIS), Wikimedia India chapter (WMIN), two of our editor Ramjit Tudu and Fagu Baskey have received laptop from center for internet society for their consistent effort for Santali Wikipedia ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Supporting_Indian_Language_Wikipedias_Program/Support/Laptops ).
- Recently two workshop for Santali Wikipedia was conducted.
In Bangladesh Santali Wikipedia workshop was conducted (https://www.facebook.com/WikimediaBD/photos/pcb.10155246894221239/10155246843891239/?type=3&theater) ( https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Workshop_for_Santali_Wikipedia_Community_in_Bangladesh,_2017 ) on 30th December 2017 at Shekhertek,Dhaka, Bangladesh. In Bangladesh workshop was conducted with the support of Bangladesh Wikipedians.
In India Santali Wikipedia workshop was conducted at North Odisha University , Baridpada, (https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/sat/%E1%B1%A0%E1%B1%9F%E1%B1%B9%E1%B1%A2%E1%B1%A4%E1%B1%A5%E1%B1%9F%E1%B1%B2%E1%B1%9F_%E1%B1%91_(%E1%B1%A5%E1%B1%A4%E1%B1%A7%E1%B1%9A%E1%B1%9B)/en on 11th March 2018.
The workshop in India was conducted with the support of Odia Wikipedia Community and Centre for Internet society Bangalore, India ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:CIS-A2K/Requests#Request_for_a_training_workshop_for_Santali_editors )( https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Santali_Wikipedia_workshop_11March2018 )
- These two workshops have shown good response from trainee. In upcoming days more and more such workshop are being planned in different states of India, Bangladesh, and Nepal to keep the Wikipedia active and dynamic even after it became a live page.
- Santali is a multinational language spoken in four different countries (India, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan). The Wikipedia Project of Santali community is one of the ambitious and long waited dream projects of this community (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CIS-A2K//Work_plan_July_2014_-_June_2015/Making_the_Santali_Wikipedia_Live).
Considering the above an early approval of this Santali incubator project to a live one will give lot of motivation and inspiration to write for Santali Wikipedia and happiness to the Santali community as well. R Ashwani Banjan Murmu (talk) 02:16, 8 April 2018 (UTC)
Support The wiki can happily accommodate all 5 writing systems so that native speakers from different parts of the world can contribute. —18.104.22.168
Support On Ethnologue, this language is rated 4 (Educational) and it has been written down since the 19th century, so there is a large growing body of literature. —22.214.171.124
olchiki script will help the santali speakers of the world to unite.
- @Evertype: You mentioned at langcom-l that this language lacks an Ol Chiki font, have you ever read w:Help:Multilingual_support#Ol_Chiki? Feel free to download Noto Sans Ol Chiki for viewing, or you mean that we lack the input method for that script? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 04:57, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- @StevenJ81: Unfortunately I'm too hard to send e-mail to langcom-l due to probably blacklist of my e-mail services provider, can you help me to reply him with my comment above? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 04:59, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- @Liuxinyu970226: I'll do that by end of morning my time. StevenJ81 (talk) 13:39, 10 April 2018 (UTC)
- @સાગર: Here I ask a question to you, that how do you translate the "Wikipedia talk" namespace? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 10:12, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
@StevenJ81: Activity still looks reasonable, quality is exceptionally good for an incubated language, and the number of pages has grown steadily. --OosWesThoesBes (talk) 15:23, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- @Ooswesthoesbes: At this point LangCom is satisfied in general. Satdeep Gill is looking for a language expert to review the contents, since this is the first project in the language. Satdeep, any responses so far? StevenJ81 (talk) 16:14, 18 May 2018 (UTC)
- That's good news :) --OosWesThoesBes (talk) 10:44, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
@Liuxinyu970226: You had asked about the translation of "Wikipedia talk" namespace, Santali translation for "Wikipedia talk" will be "ᱣᱤᱠᱤᱯᱤᱰᱤᱭᱟ ᱜᱟᱞᱢᱟᱨᱟᱣ" . -- Ramjit Tudu (talk) 12:06, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.