Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Punjabi
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiquote Punjabi|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||pa (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Punjabi||Language name in English|
|Language name||ਪੰਜਾਬੀ||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q58635 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikiquote" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikiquote talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Continent/City||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task. It will include everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings. After creating the task, add a link to the comment.|
"Punjabi" (Eastern Punjabi) as language spoken by India and various other countries, with writing system Gurmukhi
- In India, Punjabi is one of the 22 languages with official status in India. It is the first official language of Punjab (India) and Union Territory State Chandigarh and the 2nd official language of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Delhi. Even in UK it has gained the status of the second most spoken language after English. Punjabi inherits vocabulary from Indus Valley Civilisation as it is spoken in the main heartland of that Civilisation. Punjabi needs to be added to wikiquote so that Punjabi users can also use wiki.
- Most Hindi films have dialogues in Punjabi. Punjabi Wikiquote should be created. Vibhijain 10:31, 20 May 2011 (UTC)
- Support -- Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 08:09, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
- Support Punjabi Wikiquote will be helpful for many punjabi speakers, I think. --Sotiale (talk) 08:20, 20 October 2012 (UTC)
- Support There are approximately 113 million native speakers, there will definitely be enough speakers for an active community. Rubbish computer (Ping me or leave a message on my talk page) 12:40, 29 November 2022 (UTC)
- w:Punjabi language
- w:Gurmukhi (Eastern Punjabi Script)
- Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Western Panjabi