Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Western Panjabi
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Western Panjabi Wikiquote
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiquote Western Panjabi|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||pnb (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Western Panjabi||Language name in English|
|Language name||پن٘جابی||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q1389492 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||RTL||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Western Panjabi||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||"Wikiquote" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikiquote talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Karachi||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task. It will include everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings. After creating the task, add a link to the comment.|
Western Panjabi as a language is spoken by more than 60 million people in Pakistan and other countries.
- Punjabi is the most spoken language in Pakistan. It is taught upto university level and people are doing PhD in this language. Even in UK it has gained the status of the second most spoken language after English. Punjabi inherits vocabulary from Indus Valley Civilisation as it is spoken in the main heartland of that Civiliasation. There should be a victionary in this language as there is no victionary available for this big group of speakers. A victionary on net will also do the job of saving the words that are less in common. But it does not mean this is a weak language. Being related to Indo - European group of languages, it shares many features with these languages. But it has modernity too, it is alive and ready to accept new ideas and new words too at the same time keeping its root firmly in its long past. It is the language of common people of Indus Valley, their best tool for communication for centuries, their preserver of their culture and customs, a love affair, their heritage, a part of their psyche, their identity,wherever the Punjabis go in the world, it always remains with them, in this strange world a village of their own, if not physical than a village of mind. I think there is a need of victionary to preserve the words of this vibrant language, to enjoy this culture, a place where Punjabis could go for understanding of their culture and others too to know them.
- Support --N KOziTalk 12:42, 27 April 2011 (UTC)
- Support -- Rehmat Aziz Chitrali 07:26, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
- The interface localisation is not yet complete. All MediaWiki core messages and main extensions used by WMF need to be translated. SPQRobin (talk) 17:24, 18 April 2011 (UTC)