|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
Are the automated WikiData sources counted in the sources' points or not?
Greetings from the Greek community. In Greek Wikipedia, it's very common for us to use automated Wikidata infoboxes. This practice results in the addition of the Wikidata item's references to the Greek article. So I have a question: Each reference which comes from Wikidata and not from the main content of the article are counted normally for the contest or not? NikosLikomitros (talk) 00:52, 8 March 2020 (UTC)
- Hi NikosLikomitros! Good question. My reply would be that the reference from Wikidata counts if you added it yourself (that's already in the scoring), but not if it is automatically included in the infobox of the new article. So a reference gives points in Wikidata, or in the main content of Wikipedia articles, but you don't get twice the points if you add a reference on Wikidata and it is mirrored in the infobox of the Wikipedia article. Does that make sense? Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 11:48, 8 March 2020 (UTC)
type of articles
what kind of articles we are allowed to improve or create, I mean is it OK to write about topics related to women like rights or it's just about female characters? also, can we write about women from any era?
- Nada kareem22: It is only female persons that will yield points! But it is of course very good with all topics related to women Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 14:38, 10 March 2020 (UTC)
Hi there! What do we consider as a "translation" to receive these 5 points? do we add these points whenever we e.g. translate only a few sentences from another language version, where the biography is super long? Does the translation have to be marked somehow in the 'description change of the article' we create? DariaPolonia (talk) 21:00, 16 March 2020 (UTC)
- DariaPolonia Apologies for a slow reply! You don't have to mark it in any special way. If you base the article on a translation, it would give 5 bonus points. You don't have to translate the entire article, if it is long. Note though that the article has to be substantial enough to fulfill the quality requirements of the Wikipedia communities Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 08:27, 1 April 2020 (UTC)
References on tranlations
Concern about Filipinayzd's contributions
I have some concerns regarding Filipinayzd's contributions. It seems that many of the user's contributions are designed to increase quantity (byte counts) instead of quality. As stated in the user's English Wikipedia userpage, this user is only fluent in en, tl, and bcl languages with beginning knowledge in ceb but no fluency info on pam, pag, ilo, and war languages yet they added articles in those respective Wikipedia editions. Many of the created articles are table-heavy entries which are easy to create because there is minimal translation needed, but inflate the byte counts due to the wiki syntax. Some examples of table-heavy articles: pag:Judy Ann Santos, pam:Judy Ann Santos, tl:Bidyograpiya ni Kelly Clarkson. Furthermore, the user included 50 points for a featured article in the bcl Wikipedia but that Wikipedia does not have a rigorous community-led process of review and approval for featured articles. The bcl Wikipedia currently just has an arbitrary selection process for featuring articles on the main page and is nowhere near as comprehensive nor as rigorous as, say, the English Wikipedia's featured article review process. -Desinvolte (talk)
- The same goes for Brazal.dang's contributions. Almost all of the articles created or improved are about female artists with table-heavy filmographies. -Desinvolte (talk)
- Thanks for your input, Desinvolte. We haven't looked closely into individual user's points yet. We will look into all contributions during next week and when we add up all information we will confirm what's eligible. Eric Luth (WMSE) (talk) 15:37, 8 April 2020 (UTC)
- I would leave it to the respective admins and organizers which points to consider. :) -Filipinayzd (talk) 05:17, 9 April 2020 (UTC)