Movement Charter Ambassador Program
Hello, thank you for your interest in the Movement Charter Ambassador program. I am Chitraparna Sinha, facilitator for the SAARC region in the Movement Strategy and Governance team.
I am writing to you to seek a bit of clarification. I noticed that on the joining page, you signed up twice - once for Indic languages and one for Punjabi language.
Do you intend to become an ambassador for more than one language? If yes, requesting you to kindly modify the "Indic languages" entry and signify which language? If not, kindly choose to retain one of the signups and remove the other, in the interest of avoiding duplication. Thanks a ton for your time and have a good day. CSinha (WMF) (talk) 08:19, 4 November 2022 (UTC)
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in November: As usual, the Committee released its regular monthly updates from November 2022. This month’s updates include highlights about the external facilitator hiring, next in-person meeting of the Committee and updates about the new drafting groups, among others.
- First community consultation period: From mid November to mid December 2022 the Committee members took part in 8 regional feedback sessions. Committee members joined the sessions to provide clarifications and answer to questions that came from different language communities on the Movement Charter.
- Recordings of the presentations shared during the regional meetings are available here for those interested.
- A list Frequently Asked Questions that came up in the calls is available on Meta.
- If you have not shared your feedback on the drafts of the Movement Charter yet, please do so by filling out this anonymous survey, which is open until January 2, 2023 and is available in more than 12 languages.
- The Movement Charter Ambassador Program received over 15 proposals. The ambassadors are currently putting their initiatives into action in various local communities. The Movement Charter Ambassadors Program will once again be opened for applications in the second quarter of 2023, in preparation for the next round of Movement Charter consultations. Both individuals and organizations will be able to apply. Those interested in becoming Movement Charter Ambassadors are encouraged to sign-up.
- Community Conversations summary: The Movement Strategy and Governance team of the Wikimedia Foundation will prepare and publish the final summary report of the community feedback in January 2023. The report will be shared with the MCDC and the communities on different channels of communication.
- Feedback on the Movement Charter: There will be additional ways to engage with the Movement Charter content, including the early feedback on the proposed ratification process and a new set of draft chapters in the second quarter of 2023.
--14:27, 22 December 2022 (UTC).
- First Community Consultation: A concise summary of the community consultation on the initial three drafts of the Charter is now available for your review on Meta and on the Diff platform. In addition, you can read about MC Ambassadors are sharing about their experiences:
- What’s next after the community feedback period? The Committee is currently reviewing the detailed feedback which consists of 59 pages of comments, in March the Committee will share their response to the comments. The detailed version of the feedback, which the Committee is reviewing, is also available on this Meta page.
- MCDC’s Virtual Working Session: The Committee gathered virtually from 3rd to 5th February to work on the drafts of the following new set of chapters of the Movement Charter: Global Council, Hubs, Decision Making, and Roles & Responsibilities. The Committee members worked in their smaller drafting groups first. The full Committee then convened, with representatives of each drafting group presenting the progress made so far, as well as about what type of support is needed for their future sessions.
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in January: The update includes details of the meetings held by the Committee in the month of January 2023, stakeholder conversations, completed work as well as about the new drafting groups, creating glossary and independent legal review.
- Community feedback on the ratification methodology proposal of the future Movement Charter. The feedback was postponed until March 2023. The communities will be able to review the ratification methodology and share their early input on the open questions.
- The MCDC will soon announce a “Call for Advisors”. The call will be an invitation for interested individuals with relevant expertise and knowledge to participate in drafting the Charter. Advisors will be considered non-voting members.
- Responses to the community consultation feedback by the MCDC. The Committee has been carefully reviewing feedback collected in the consultation from November & December 2022, and will publicly share responses to the feedback by March.
--14:20, 22 February 2023 (UTC).
- Call for Advisors! Individuals interested to support the Drafting Groups or the Subcommittees of the MCDC in the role of an advisor can fill out the advisory application form by May, 2023. The MCDC will be contacting interested individuals on a rolling basis. Do you want to know more about it? Please read here for more information. The information is also available in Arabic, Spanish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian and Chinese languages respectively.
- Movement Charter Ambassadors from the Latin America and the Caribbean region share their experiences of organizing community conversations on the Movement Charter. Please read the Diff blog in Brazilian Portuguese and in Spanish languages.
- Casual updates: The MCDC publishes regular casual updates after bi-weekly full Committee meetings, as well as after other drafting group and subcommittee meetings. If you are interested, please read casual updates here on Meta and on Movement Strategy Forum.
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in February: As usual, the update includes information about the meetings held by the Committee in this month, as well as about the work that was completed and the ongoing work & discussions. The MCDC’s monthly updates are also shared on the multilingual Movement Strategy forum.
- MCDC Responses to the community feedback: The MCDC published responses to the community feedback on the first set of drafts (collected during a consultation in November - December 2022). The response includes a Summary, as well as some specific responses to the full community feedback (highlighted in orange).
- Revised Movement Charter drafts: The MCDC will share in the coming month the revised versions of the first two chapters: Preamble and Values & Principles (including a newly-added glossary), and the revised Roles & Responsibilities intentions statement.
- Ratification methodology consultation: The MCDC is working on a new proposal (not available yet) for a ratification methodology. The proposal will be discussed through a community consultation process, including live meetings to provide feedback.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
--11:34, 21 March 2023 (UTC).
- Starting conversations on how to ratify the Movement Charter: The Committee invites the Wikimedia movement to express opinions on the proposed Movement Charter ratification methodology from April 10 to April 28. Everyone is invited to share feedback on the Meta talk page or the Movement Strategy forum. Two community conversation hours are planned to take place: on April 18 at 10.00 UTC and April 24 at 17.00 UTC. Please read the details here.
- MCDC’s responses to the community feedback are now on Meta: The Committee has shared a summary of their responses and next steps based on the feedback from the first round of community consultation which took place late 2022.
- What to read on Diff?
- Learn more about the Movement Charter Ambassadors work: Movement Charter Ambassadors from the French-speaking community share their experience.
- MCDC member Manavpreet Kaur has written a blog post titled “An excerpt from my life, movement, strategy and MCDC”.
- Learn about Movement Charter Drafting Committee’s work in March: the monthly Committee’s updates include information about the coordination efforts with Wikimedia Germany, update on membership, submission to Wikimania 2023, participation at the Wikimedia Foundations Board of Trustees’ strategic retreat in New York in March 2023.
- Revised chapters: The Committee is preparing to publish the revised draft chapters of The Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities intentions statement, based on the community feedback received in November and December 2022.
- Inviting advisors and experts: The Committee is preparing to welcome a number of advisors from outside the Committee. All interested Wikimedians were invited to apply earlier (you can still apply here!). Additionally, the Committee is planning and scheduling meetings with individuals with specific sets of expertise in various topics, including stewards, movement committees, Wikimedia Foundation and affiliate staff, and others.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
--19:18, 15 April 2023 (UTC).
- Charter Ratification Methodology proposal conversations: The Movement Charter Drafting Committee recently held the first conversations regarding the ratification methodology for the Movement Charter. The MCDC has received valuable feedback from different communities and the Committees during the community input period. The report of the community input will be shared in May, while the updated version of the ratification methodology will be presented between September and November 2023.
- Communication evaluation: The Communications sub-committee of the MCDC together with the support staff conducted an evaluation of the communications. The Communications sub-committee appreciates the time and input of the community members who shared their opinions during the interviews. Several recommendations are going to be implemented in the upcoming period based on the valuable input.
- Learn about the MCDC’s work in April: The MCDC continues to draft additional chapters: The Global Council, Hubs, Decision-making and Roles & Responsibilities. Alongside the drafting work, the MCDC is planning their in-person meeting scheduled for 2-4 June in Utrecht, Netherlands with the aim of advancing the charter's content.
What’s coming up?
- Participants of the WikiNusantara 2023 in Banjarmasin, Indonesia are invited to join a session on the topics around Wikimedia Movement Strategy and community collaboration on May 20. Ramzy Muliawan will provide updates, share about the Movement Charter Ambassadors Program and answer the questions.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
This newsletter combines content from both June and July, due to a delay in sharing out the previous newsletter.
- New Movement Charter content published: The Committee published new draft chapters on the Global Council, Hubs and the Glossary. You are invited to share your feedback or ask any questions you may have to the Committee before September 1, 2023 on the following talk pages:
- Revised draft chapters published on Meta: The Committee has shared the revised draft chapters: Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities intentions statement. These revisions are based on the community feedback received in November-December 2022.
- Ratification Methodology community feedback: The summary of community feedback on the proposed methodology for the ratification of the Charter is on Diff.
- Listen to the WikiAfrica Hour #46: Africa and Movement Charter, where MCDC members Anass Sedrati and Georges Foudoup talk about Movement Charter, its aims and objectives, and the relevance to the African community.
- MCDC member’s are busy participating in various community events to discuss Movement Charter. Manavpreet Kaur, a member of the Global Council and Roles and Responsibilities Drafting Groups joined the EduWikiConference 2023. The MCDC support staff Ramzy Muliawan shared updates about the charter at WikiNustantara 2023 in Banjarmasin, Indonesia (@wikimediaid on Twitter). The Wikimedia communities in Indonesia were engaged by Movement Charter Ambassador Arcuscloud in the last round of community conversations.
- Learn about MCDC’s work in May & June: as usual, the update includes information about the meetings held by the Committee in this month, as well as about the work that was completed and the ongoing work & discussions.
What’s coming up?
- Join the live launch party: The Drafting Committee is hosting a launch party on July 30th at 14.00 UTC to celebrate the new drafts, introduce them to the community and give space for sharing thoughts and feedback. Register here to receive a Zoom link to the launch party.
- Movement Charter Community Conversation grants are open for individuals or groups who want to organize conversations about the Charter content. Talk to us if you need any support on the MS Forum! Apply for a grant before Jul 30, 2023.
- Wikimania 2023: Wikimania 2023: Members of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee are excited to be attending Wikimania Singapore in August, to speak to and hear from you in person (and hybrid) about the four drafts and the Charter in general.
- Community events: MCDC members will be present in the CEE Meeting in September in Georgia to discuss the Charter content with the CEE and CA communities. In addition, the MCDC prioritizes participation in the conferences planned for 2023 to continue conversations on the content of the Charter with the communities: WikiConvention Francophone, WikiWomen Camp, WikiIndaba Morocco, WikiConference North America, GLAM Wiki Conference, among others.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta wiki
--12:25, 30 July 2023 (UTC).
- Community consultation: The community consultation on the Global Council, Hubs, and the Glossary drafts is ongoing. We value your input, if you have not already, please take a moment to review the draft chapters and share your thoughts with the MCDC. We’ve posed open questions we would like your opinion on. Feel free to engage in a way that is most comfortable for you and your community. Learn more on our Diff blogs about the Global Council and Hubs.
- Launch Party: On July 30 we hosted a Launch Party to share the Global Council and Hubs draft chapters. It was an inspiring event where we had the opportunity to listen to your feedback and address some of your questions. If you missed it, you can catch the recording on YouTube.
- Community Conversations: We want to hear from as many people as possible. On July 16, the SWAN meeting opened its doors and offered an opportunity to interact with the MCDC members regarding the new drafts of the charter. Notes are available here. On July 28, a regional conversation with the Francophone community was held. Here comes a short summary here in English and French. Additionally, on August 2 we had a fruitful conversation with the LATAM region.
- MCDC’s Work in July: As usual, the update includes information about the meetings held by the Committee in this month, as well as about the work that was completed and the ongoing work & discussions.
- Join the MCDC at Wikimania: Whether you’ll be at Wikimania 2023 in person or joining virtually, there are a few events that we would like to invite you to. Please drop by for a casual conversation. We would love to connect to workshop any ideas together. Drop in, get a sweet treat, and share your thoughts with us! Register and see below for an overview of our time together:
- Tuesday, August 15
- Wednesday, August 16
- Thursday, 17 August
- : Movement Charter Content Discussions (Room 310)
- A regional call tailored for the MENA region will be conducted in Arabic on September 2 at 17.00 UTC. Kindly indicate your interest to attend this meeting.
Subscribe to this newsletter on Meta-wiki
MCDC Support Team, 23:53, 14 August 2023 (UTC)