Wikimania 2005 social
|This Wikimania page is inactive and kept for historical interest. If you want to get the latest news on the coming Wikimania, or join the discussion of its planning, you may visit the conference's official website.|
|Wikimania 2005 archive |
|Call for papers|
|Website & Promotion|
Suggestions are welcome here.
- We might have a party in one of the biggest castle ruins of Germany which is quite close to Frankfurt.
- See Wikimania:City/Frankfurt/Burg Königstein for some impressions.
- The costs to rent the party cellar (de facto including the rest of the castle) is around 400 EUR. We are free to organize catering on our own.
- Transfer from/to Frankfurt could be managed with busses (30 minutes from downtown)
- Interesting for some internet junkies: There is a good chance to have WiFi on the castle.
- I know this location very well (organized many events there, from my own wedding with 200 guests up to big open-air concerts with 5,000 visitors) -- Arne (akl) 13:44, 31 Oct 2004 (UTC)
- We also could rent a boat to have a party on the river Main, perhaps one of these
- The National Library of Germany is located in Frankfurt and will give us guided visits taking pictures will be also allowed. more detail will be come. --PatrickD 23:34, 9 Feb 2005 (UTC)
As a counterpoint to sitting in front of computer, attending speeches, debating, drinking beer and eating pizzas :-), we will need some activities more physical in nature...
- Hike – I don't know the surroundings of the city at all, but I'm sure there are some nice places
- Swim – river, baths ...? (be sure: you don't want to swim in the Main ... )
As a counterpoint to sitting in lectures, there will be some quiz-bowl style trivia challenges; at least one preliminary round and a final round Saturday night in the main hall. The trivia tested will all be answered somewhere on the Wikimedia projects, many taken from featured articles and quotes, Did You Know?, or past news stories in one language or another; others will have secondary significance in Wikipedia history.
We'll want a city tour if possible, showing us all that's cool in Frankfurt. Also, a guide to the best local beers would be a nice tour too.
Multiple tour options for Monday will be necessary, since many people are staying until Mon. afternoon.
- Castle tours
- Water tours?
- Hiking nearby (forests, hills?)